Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ladies and Gents

I was looking at the Rav4 and CRV but the RAV4 seems to have too many oil burning issues etc. So i decided on a CRV. My question is what is the best year for reliability. I am looking to purchase a used CRV 2002-2010 under 100k miles or around there. I heard 2002 were bullet proof but I would like something newer unless there are known issues. I say this bc i was a HONDA Service Advisor and the newer CRV 2017- up have CVT issues among other things.

So for owners that have 100k or 150k miles and up please chime in and let me know problems you've had minor and severe to guide me through this purchase.
I have a 2005 corolla and that thing is bullet proof but I need an AWD car for winter/job etc. My corolla has 163k miles and i have only replaced 1 wheel bearing, clockspring, and brakes and oil. So those are small things and maintenance i do myself. Engine/trans are great, runs like a dream but with NO ABS and no LSD it plain sucks in the snow.

Please give me your opinion on best years with least problems and please go into details on any issues large or small.
Thank you for helping!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Have a 2008 EX-L that we have owned since new. It's pretty much bulletproof. Only problems have been A/C compressor clutch and front sway bar bushings. Once fixed no more problem. It gets the proper servicing at the dealer. Since this gen encompasses 07 - 10 or 11 I would say any one of those years should be a winner.
It's my wife's DD and she uses it just about every day. Currently 133k on odo. Plan on keeping it another year or until Honda works all the kinks out of the oil dilution problems with the 1.5T engine.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I had a 2006 CR-V and loved it.
I bought the 2006 used in 2009 because I did not like the look of the front end of the 2007-2011 CR-Vs.

There were some changes in 2005 from the 2004 model year, so I'd personally look for a 2005 or 2006.

Edit: I know there were other changes, but one of the big change for me was the switch to 16" wheels on the 2005 and 2006 CR-Vs. And no, not because I like "big wheels". Honda switched to 16" wheels to be able to fit larger disc brakes on the 2005 and 2006.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Currently running an '06. Just usual maintenance done and a few things to suite me. Generally the last year models of a generation are the best to get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2007 lx awd

Ac compressor and brake caliper replaced. From what I understand that is common and the only real parts that break along with locks.
The passenger side will auto lock itself in about 1.5 seconds.

Car is at 157k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Ladies and Gents

I was looking at the Rav4 and CRV but the RAV4 seems to have too many oil burning issues etc. So i decided on a CRV. My question is what is the best year for reliability. I am looking to purchase a used CRV 2002-2010 under 100k miles or around there. I heard 2002 were bullet proof but I would like something newer unless there are known issues. I say this bc i was a HONDA Service Advisor and the newer CRV 2017- up have CVT issues among other things.

So for owners that have 100k or 150k miles and up please chime in and let me know problems you've had minor and severe to guide me through this purchase.
I have a 2005 corolla and that thing is bullet proof but I need an AWD car for winter/job etc. My corolla has 163k miles and i have only replaced 1 wheel bearing, clockspring, and brakes and oil. So those are small things and maintenance i do myself. Engine/trans are great, runs like a dream but with NO ABS and no LSD it plain sucks in the snow.

Please give me your opinion on best years with least problems and please go into details on any issues large or small.
Thank you for helping!!!

I have an 08 EX, 208,000km. All that has been required in that time was basic maintenance ie fluids, brakes, tires and battery. The only thing outside of basic maintenance has been two batteries. Car is bullet proof despite being slightly noisy. My only complaint is I have one of the colors that was affected by the rear hatch corrosion issue and was not able to get it repaired during extended recall. Some small rust bubbles under the paint that I had to repair, but the car has been solid and reliable while driving across the continent.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Two '09 EX-Ls here, built several weeks apart and both around 150k miles ± a few thousand. Mine is driven less during the year (I partly work from home), but it goes on at least one long road trip each summer, if not two. The other gets maybe 50-60 miles daily in commuting.

Pros: Finally, comfortable front seats. Good visibility. Comfortable ride for an SUV, as long as the tires are of good quality. Traction control and 4WD are the best--they plow through any snow we've had these in. (Although we don't get much snow here anymore.) It is not suitable for off-roading, but it is not impossible--I just took mine on some rough unpaved trails through Utah with no issues.

Cons: Where do I start? Within the past two years, I have fixed/replaced the same major items on both '09s--AC compressors, starters, struts. (With the compressors, the electric clutch actuator failed but I felt it better to start with a fresh compressor in both, so we weren't paying for another similar repair a year or two later.) I replaced the alternator on mine just before my last trip west--I wasn't confident it was charging as it should, and I had just replaced the battery as well. The other '09 has already had two door lock actuators go bad. Engine power is adequate in the city but anemic in the mountains--there are a few places where it barely keeps up with traffic, and forget trying to pass or merge into faster traffic. The seat leather is good, but the door armrest leather is known to wrinkle very easily (there was a TSB for these, in fact). The "Check Fuel Cap" message has hit both of ours--it's the purge control solenoid that needs replacing when this happens. (Don't waste money on a new fuel cap.) My front suspension is noisy at the moment--I'm waiting on new lower control arms and ball joints (the rubber has dried and worn in the control arms, and it's easier to buy these as an assembled unit on the aftermarket).

I would write these off to age, but, this has all happened within the past two years, and I've had to replace a lot more parts on these than I have my old '97 which is still on most of the original parts (except for wear items and rubber), and a 2004 Civic that far as I know, has only needed an alternator (as I broke the battery post terminal on the old one). So they've still been good to drive, but not problem-free, the problems coming sooner than the other Hondas I have owned throughout the years. If you frequent these forums, you'll notice many of these same issues, so these are not uncommon failures. I've gotten to the point now where I order two of everything--if a part has failed on one, I'll buy the same part for the other.

If you can DIY, you'll save a ton of money. I unfortunately had to pay for the dealer to replace the starter in one of the '09s since the temperatures were in the single digits and there was no way I could have done this in the driveway. My AC compressor went out somewhere in Minnesota or South Dakota two years ago, and we had to change part of our trip a few days later to stop in Salt Lake City to get it replaced. But damn...is that thing icy cold now!! :D (In fact, it seems the coldest when temperatures are near 100°F outside--we freeze!)

The factory radio was no great item and the plastic speakers weren't very good, so I upgraded the system in my '09 with a Pioneer 4200NEX head unit, 4-channel Class D power amp, Morel speakers in the pillars and doors, and a Focal bombA subwoofer (imported from Europe at half the cost of Crutchfield) for the rear. I have also upsized the tires from 225/65R17 to 235/65R17. The slightly larger diameter corrects the ~3% speed error in the speedometer, and gives a very slight lift (almost unnoticeable), with no rubbing. It also fills the wheelwell nicely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had a 2009 and 2013 lx both used and abused by my kids. They have been incredibly reliable-despite my kids best efforts.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have had a 2009 and 2013 lx both used and abused by my kids. They have been incredibly reliable-despite my kids best efforts.
I only hope my daughter's 2002 Accord holds up another couple of years. She is not rough on things, but it has to travel over Detroit's notoriously bad streets to get to the college, and also has to be quick if there's a carjacking imminent. We bought the thing dirt cheap and it still does have a few issues but still, against the odds, it is holding up like a trooper. My old '97 CR-V also was part of a five or six household moves, has hauled lawn equipment, survived our terrible roads, been through all sorts of weather...and the thing still miraculously runs. We've called it The Thing That Would Not Die. ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2011 SE and so far absolutely trouble-free. I'm loving it!
Me too! The only problem i had was the driver side anti-sway bar link was worn (& banging on the lower control arm) so I replaced the driver's & pass. side. Would not start one time -( battery voltage was 12.4-12.6 ) but suspected it would not handle the load of the starter. Good guess - so far, so good. I am amazed at how well this car holds up. Considering buying another one as a spare car!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2010 CRV EX with 148,000 miles and and it too needed the ac clutch replaced at at around 100,000 miles. Outside of that I would say the car does use some oil between changes but I'm using the BG Products (BG EPR & BG MOA) treatments to help with that, I also had two door and the trunk actuators fail, a starter fail, and have replaced 3 of 4 calipers. These are minor things but the car runs and drives well. And absolutely no engine or transmission issues. I too would stay away from the newer CVT transmissions. My next vehicle will probably be a RAV4 because unlike Honda Nissan and Subaru they have stayed away from CVT transmissions. Just my opinion, I hope that helps.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have 2010 CRV EX with 148,000 miles and and it too needed the ac clutch replaced at at around 100,000 miles. Outside of that I would say the car does use some oil between changes but I'm using the BG Products (BG EPR & BG MOA) treatments to help with that, I also had two door and the trunk actuators fail, a starter fail, and have replaced 3 of 4 calipers. These are minor things but the car runs and drives well. And absolutely no engine or transmission issues. I too would stay away from the newer CVT transmissions. My next vehicle will probably be a RAV4 because unlike Honda Nissan and Subaru they have stayed away from CVT transmissions. Just my opinion, I hope that helps.
Don't rule out Mazda. No CVT's. Great turbo with 2.5L engine. No gas in oil and plenty of heat in cabin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have a 2009 EX with 146,000. Replaced AC compressor (90k), rear sway bars (135K), electrical relay for oxygen sensor (93K), replaced hatch strut (118K), 2 tpms sensors. Wear items, 2 sets of front brakes, ready for 2nd set of rear breaks, 3 sets of tires. Engine doesn't burn oil and the AT still shifts perfectly. I properly maintain oil, AT and differential fluids. Been a great car. Planning to beat it for 5 more years. Hopefully by then Honda will perfect 1.5L with CVT.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
393 Posts
We bought a 2011 several years ago, last year of the Gen.3. We've put over 60k miles on, it's at around 140k. Needed nothing but maintenance. I did have to reseat the gas cap gasket. It does use a quart of oil every 2-3k miles. Tolerable, but our previous Accords used like zip. From reading too much on the various forums, it seems to be best of breed, though they are getting old.

·
2,247 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I would say '05-'09 is your best window. I tried hard to find a good '05 or '06 with manual transmission but gave up after over a year and wound up with an '07 EX-L AWD w/92k. No manual transmissions after '06 in North America. Aargh! Oh, well. I'm quite happy with it so far after a year and a half. I avoided the 2010-2011 models as some had piston ring issues that required engine replacement. Honda did take care of this for those owners. My only issues so far have been an A/C recharge, but it was only a half pound low on gas after eleven years, not bad. It's ice cold now. Armrest leather issues - got replacement covers off eBay/Amazon for twenty bucks or so each. That's it so far. Good luck and let us know what you do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bought a 2017 CR-V with 26k on the odo for my wife back in November. I've been so impressed with it (I've owned several Hondas in the past) that today, I replaced my high mileage 2008 Mercedes ML350 with a low mileage (relatively @ 62k miles) 2008 CR-V. Reading how trouble-free this generation CR-V is has been very encouraging. As for the 1.5 on our 2017 being problematic, all I can say is so far so good. It's been driving like a dream.

So, in a span of 4 months, we've gone from a two ML350 family to a two CR-V family. Looking forward to much more affordable and less frequent repair bills.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My two cents. I currently have an 07 LX that we bought new. It currently has almost 240k miles. I've never owned a car this long and really can't complain about much. AC compressor went around 100k, gone through a few sway bar links etc.
It's been dead reliable and I'm currently looking for its replacement as I'm on the road constantly and want something newer with less miles. I've read a good amount of reviews with people that have 2010-11 models that go through a lot of oil and have not been taken care of. A new one isn't in the budget, so I'm hoping to find and 08-09 with under 100k for a reasonable amount

1 - 19 of 19 Posts