Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CRV 2019 2.4L CVT Touring
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a CRV 2019 model. I have noticed one factor which might be a cause for concern. The end of the roofline has two plastic molded parts at the end which are actually loose when lifted up. In fact, there are no clips nor screws to hold the part in a fixed position. This part is accessible when the power tailgate is opened. I just wanted to clarify from other CRV owners whether this remains the same for owners for all fifth generation models CRV's.

I have highlighted the part in a yellow circle to indicate this particular plastic part.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,763 Posts
Yes, the bottom ends of the cover are not fastened, they just hang there relying on the fasteners on the roof to hold everything down.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Traylaw is correct here, and I really don't see an issue.

Now.. if you want more things to worry about.. check out how the front windshield side air buffers are also NOT fastened down with fasteners. They serve as both a cosmetic finishing, as well as insuring wind does not burrow along the edge of the glass at high speeds. They are simply inserted and are held down in a manner similar to the rear pieces you are concerned about by plastic pieces top and bottom. But they are not going anywhere.. and are fine just like that.

OR.. even more to worry about... your front and rear bumper facia --- can be pulled off of their connecting points on the metal quarter panels they are mated to if you want to put some force on them. :p And, you can also pop them right back in too. They are literally fastened with a clever plastic-to-metal row of small tongue and groove edges.

See where I am going here? Almost all of the plastic exterior parts are cleverly designed and installed with minimal actual additional fasteners required. This saves time and expense in production for the manufacturer, and unless your vehicle is in a collision.. they will stay right where they are. :)

And don't get me started on the cabin interior.... because if you reach up gently to the top edge of the interior roofing, right where it meets the windshield.. you will find you can literally put your fingers through an air gap up there. There is literally nothing holding that front surface of the interior roof other then the structural integrity of the reinforced boarding that the fabric is adhered to. Yet you cannot see it from the outside of the CRV because of the clever use of black paint along the inside edge surfaces of the windshield.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Traylaw is correct here, and I really don't see an issue.

Now.. if you want more things to worry about.. check out how the front windshield side air buffers are also NOT fastened down with fasteners. They serve as both a cosmetic finishing, as well as insuring wind does not burrow along the edge of the glass at high speeds. They are simply inserted and are held down in a manner similar to the rear pieces you are concerned about by plastic pieces top and bottom. But they are not going anywhere.. and are fine just like that.

OR.. even more to worry about... your front and rear bumper facia --- can be pulled off of their connecting points on the metal quarter panels they are mated to if you want to put some force on them. :p And, you can also pop them right back in too. They are literally fastened with a clever plastic-to-metal row of small tongue and groove edges.

See where I am going here? Almost all of the plastic exterior parts are cleverly designed and installed with minimal actual additional fasteners required. This saves time and expense in production for the manufacturer, and unless your vehicle is in a collision.. they will stay right where they are. :)

And don't get me started on the cabin interior.... because if you reach up gently to the top edge of the interior roofing, right where it meets the windshield.. you will find you can literally put your fingers through an air gap up there. There is literally nothing holding that front surface of the interior roof other then the structural integrity of the reinforced boarding that the fabric is adhered to. Yet you cannot see it from the outside of the CRV because of the clever use of black paint along the inside edge surfaces of the windshield.
And to add to your excellent post, reducing the use of hard fasteners on the outside also provides less places for water to enter or rust to start.

Very well engineered vehicles, I must say!

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,763 Posts
Didn't your mother warn you "If you don't stop playing with your plastic parts you'll go blind or break it."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts