Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I am also not a fan of them. It kind of cheapens the look of the vehicle and adds almost no real protection.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
if they made a cladding the only protection is the lower part of the car. Each car out there differs in height. so answer was said

Cosmetics

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have it on every car that I had. Including 2017 CR-V. OEM style. Install is super easy, it comes with template that I just stick with tape then aligned the molding along the template and peel the 3M.

I eye ball it from the side, it does make that area the highest surface, against my van park next to it, it stop the van's front door hitting the CR-V because the van's door has long vertical straight line. Against my wife's car Kia Niro, it has curves and very short straight line, so it doesn't hit the molding at all. The position is too low. To completely protect your CR-V I think you also need to add after market one which stick in the middle, it doesn't look as good as OEM, but you can put it where you think you will get hit most

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
There is simply no way to deal with side panel protection with the modern cars other then to wrap your vehicle in bubble wrap, which of course is impractical in the extreme. :) There are too many nuanced lines in the body styling compared to older car generations. Some of the side panel designs are to provide more rigidity and structure so the manufacturer can use thinner metals, and with that comes a lot of variation on contact points between any two given cars.

Where I live, it is much more common these days to see the plastic edge trims on the door edges then side panel molding. A lot of drivers add these, either by the dealer or after market because they actually do a better job overall. And.. with so many people using them.. there are less side panel dings and scratches in general. Drivers where I live also seem to be more aware and careful about getting in and out of their vehicles and not smashing doors into body panels. And of course the growing preponderance of SUVS means less need to have doors wide open to get in and out of the vehicle.

Common sense says the best defense to side panel nicks and dings is to not park where there is close physical congestion between vehicles.. and never park next to some old beater car.. that clearly does not care if it dings or gets dinged.

No harm in adding side molding protections of course.. but just be aware that they will not necessarily protect your vehicle from dings here and there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
you can get it at half the price at Collage Honda, DIY installation is very easy, they provide a video or there is a YouTube videos of it.
I am planing on getting them, I think adds to the SUV'his look of the CRV.
https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08P05-TLA.html
Yep, this is what I did, saved a fair chunk of change. As others have said it does offer some protection but sooner or later you'll park next to a mismatch and a ding will appear.

·
Premium Member
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
421 Posts
I had them installed on my 2018. I've always used them. I had them on my prior 2014 and there were nicks in it when I traded it. So it was needed.
I'm not sure just how much protection it provides on my 2018. I've had my car since Jan 2018 and so far no scraps or nicks on the doors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When we purchased our 2014 Honda this year the side moldings were included in the original purchase to the first owner. I like the way they look and they do help. They also wash easy. But even so I try to park next to 4-door cars rather then a 2-door.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Honda cr-v

·
Banned
8 Posts
our honda-crv-year-2003 has side-body-molding but still has many door-dent on area not being protected by side-body-molding.i would not get side-body-molding.maybe if whole-door can be covered by side-body-molding then maybe i would get whole-door-side-body-molding.
i would get bug-deflector,our 1st bug-deflector was being weakened by drying-wind on car-wash-machine then blown away by wind during driving fast on highway.our crv's 2nd bug-deflector still remain intact but our crv never enter car-washing-machine anymore.i read youtube-comment about window-rain-visor being blown away by wind during driving fast on highway and that make me cancel getting window-rain-visor.
maybe window-rain-visor degrade aerodynamic.my friend on facebook post about line-x-paint-protector but my other mechanical-engineering-friend says line-x-paint-protector may degrade crash-rating-score by unwanted-strengthening-crumple-zone which should crumple during crash but does not crumple during crash anymore so occupant crumple during crash.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,029 Posts
our honda-crv-year-2003 has side-body-molding but still has many door-dent on area not being protected by side-body-molding.i would not get side-body-molding.maybe if whole-door can be covered by side-body-molding then maybe i would get whole-door-side-body-molding.
i would get bug-deflector,our 1st bug-deflector was being weakened by drying-wind on car-wash-machine then blown away by wind during driving fast on highway.our crv's 2nd bug-deflector still remain intact but our crv never enter car-washing-machine anymore.i read youtube-comment about window-rain-visor being blown away by wind during driving fast on highway and that make me cancel getting window-rain-visor.
maybe window-rain-visor degrade aerodynamic.my friend on facebook post about line-x-paint-protector but my other mechanical-engineering-friend says line-x-paint-protector may degrade crash-rating-score by unwanted-strengthening-crumple-zone which should crumple during crash but does not crumple during crash anymore so occupant crumple during crash.
some of you people aren't posting about experiences with a gen 5. The bsm is very different from previous model yrs. so your comments are irrelevant. The new bsm that Honda offers for the gen 5 is crap. I had it and it offered no protection. It is positioned too low on the door. Someone else posted here about bsm from Dawn Ent. ( www.dawn-ent.com). It is a basic strip that is approx 2" wide. Easy to apply and the color match on my Molten Lava Pearl is amazing. Very reasonably priced. Hint: if you own a white CR-V you can go with the bsm of a gen 4. It will fit and color match is no problem. Not sure if still available from parts or not. Good luck. If you do a search on Body Side Molding you will see pics of this product. Good Luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts