Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

My wife was driving our 2007 CRV (99k miles) and she said car stalled 3 times during a ~40 minute trip. I'm not sure she knows what "stalled" means, but she described it at loss of power and vibrating up and down. When I got there to check the car, it had the maintenance light, VSA exclamation light and VSA light on. I pushed the VSA button and nothing happened, but at the time I didn't realize I had to hold it down. I turned the car off and let it cool for an hour. I turned it back on and the maintenance (engine) light was still on. The other lights were off. I drove it a few minutes and I could turn the VSA on/off by monitoring the VSA exclamation light. It didn't stall for me in that short time. I checked the fluid (coolant, oil, brake) levels and they look okay. The oil is dark and needs to be changed. I am a little late on having that changed as we recently had a baby and I haven't kept up with everything. I usually change it every 5k miles. I have to check how late I am, I'm guessing like 1k, so last oil change was 6k ago.

I read that auto parts stores will read the code for you, so I am going to have them do that and then clear it to see if it comes back. I have a bridge autoparts and autozone near me. Do either do that for free?
Until then anything I should look for to find the issue?

Is it okay to drive the car? I'm guess worse case I have to call a tow truck. Also, should I have the oil changed tomorrow? I usually go to valvoline express to have it changed.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I would guess you are getting some kind of missfire problem. It can be driven like that, but it isn't good for it. You can mess up the converter because it ends up pouring gas out of the exhaust. The general rule of thumb is that you can drive it as long as the engine light is not flashing. If it is stalling that can definitely be what is causing the light to come on.

It could be something as simple as bad gas in the tank.

The vibration makes me thing missfires as well. Did she have to physically turn the engine off and back on again or was it just running rough?

Autozone will check the codes for free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She didn't turn it off. She just slowed down until it stopped vibrating and kept on driving to get home with kids. The engine light is not flashing. Would oil change help? I can also go straight to mechanic if driving it to oil change and autozone is a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I don't know, but I think the 2007 should have the same oil change interval as the 2009. I just changed my oil for the first time since I bought it, and I'm over 10k miles from when I picked it up. (Maintenance minder showed 5% oil life remaining.) Unless it were in rough service, the oil should be OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.