Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran an errand this morning (2003 CR-V EX automatic), parked the car, turned it off, locked the doors, and walked away. Forty-five minutes later, as I walked past the car, I noticed that IT WAS RUNNING. I unlocked the door and put the key in the ignition (the ignition was in the "off" position), tried to turn the key forward (to "start") and then back to the off position, but the car wouldn't turn off. So I put it in gear and then put it back in park and only then did it turn off.

I have remote start, and I suppose there's an off chance that I accidentally pressed it while walking away from the car -- but my key fob is crap and it takes a persistent effort to get the buttons to lock or unlock the doors, let alone to engage the remote start, so I doubt that I could inadvertantly start the car that way.

So: why would it start its own? And what can be done about it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
A "one-time-only" mystery incident will always be difficult to pin down. I wouldn't worry till it happens again... or several times to help pinpoint the circumstances.
Meanwhile, here are some "guesses"...
It never really turned off the first time, but you just didn't notice. The fact that you had to re-visit "Park" on the shift lever may indicate it originally wasn't fully in 'Park', and that interfered with your ignition switch getting full OFF. (apparently it got far enough to get the key out, but maybe didn't move the electrical part of the switch assembly to OFF.) Think you wouldn't notice if it was running? ...It happens... twice I have walked away from my parked car, with the engine still running (over a driving lifetime of 58 years).
Second guess... you did accidentally remote start it... or someone else did with their remote button. It shouldn't happen, but we're talking about a mystery here.... twilight zone!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You said it yourself. You have a remote start. That is the "only" way it will start on it's own without a key!

Suggestion: one day, you may "not" be able to start it, due to the remote, I would disconnect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts