Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evening all
has anyone experienced a loss of power steering when driving ?
it happened to myself tonight on the way home from work just for a second or two but it was pretty scary at the time !
looking forward to comments

·
Registered
865 Posts
evening all
has anyone experienced a loss of power steering when driving ?
it happened to myself tonight on the way home from work just for a second or two but it was pretty scary at the time !
looking forward to comments
We need more information, like which Crv do you have?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,759 Posts
Let's start by checking the power steering fluid level. If that's good, is the accessory belt that drives the pump slipping. Did you hear a squeaking when it appeared to stop working? Was Honda power steering fluid used?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Rocky,this motor has been serviced regularly at the honda dealer where I bought it so I would assume they have used genuine honda gear,fluid level is fine and it definitely was not a mechanical fault.
It's quite hard to describe here exactly what happened but it was more like a quick break in an electrical circuit like turning a light on and off quickly,I just caught a quick flash of a warning light in my peripheral vision and at the same time the steering wheel went solid in my hands.
I don't know what the technical term is but it frightened the holy **** out of me !
I have spoken to the honda dealer today but they have never come across this before,it would however show up on a diagnostic so I shall drive very cautiously for the next couple of days and see what develops as they say.
What I can't understand though is if a power steering failure was to occur on any type of vehicle the steering wheel goes rigid ?
I have had power steering pipes bursting and pumps packing in but I've always managed to be able to steer the vehicle,obviously with very heavy steering though.
I drove hgv's for forty years but this is the first(and hopefully the last) time I've experienced this.
Looking forward to hearing what other drivers think
cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts