Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my locked 2018 Honda CRV Touring stolen from my driveway this week. The thief can be seen unlocking and entering my car in 60 seconds. And then took another 60 seconds to start the vehicle. I'm aware of key fob relay attacks which are typically done with 2 people but this person acted alone. Any ideas on how he may have gotten inside without tripping the alarm? Is this just a newer and sophisticated one man key fob relay attack?

Video 1, approach, 3:07:45 AM: Stolen car front door 1

Video 2, breaking in, 3:08:00 AM: Stolen car garage

Video 3, driving off, 3:10:30 AM: Stolen car front door 2

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
That sucks man sorry to hear it. Probablu cloned the key maybe was in proximity when you were out or even got home. Check old footage when you locked and unlocked the car and see if anyone was walking by.

I keep a ring with motion zones on mine but i def would rather not see it being driven away if it was taken.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sucks man sorry to hear it. Probablu cloned the key maybe was in proximity when you were out or even got home. Check old footage when you locked and unlocked the car and see if anyone was walking by.

I keep a ring with motion zones on mine but i def would rather not see it being driven away if it was taken.
Thanks man.

I thought he could've cloned the key too but if that was the case why did he take a good minute to enter the car and then another to start it? It should have been instant no?

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
Thanks man.

I thought he could've cloned the key too but if that was the case why did he take a good minute to enter the car and then another to start it? It should have been instant no?
i鈥檓 not versed in the cloning but maybe they have something seperate to bypass the immobilizer. I would guess maybe obd port.

Just googled this

Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
I had my locked 2018 Honda CRV Touring stolen from my driveway this week. The thief can be seen unlocking and entering my car in 60 seconds. And then took another 60 seconds to start the vehicle. I'm aware of key fob relay attacks which are typically done with 2 people but this person acted alone. Any ideas on how he may have gotten inside without tripping the alarm? Is this just a newer and sophisticated one man key fob relay attack?

Video 1, approach, 3:07:45 AM: Stolen car front door 1

Video 2, breaking in, 3:08:00 AM: Stolen car garage

Video 3, driving off, 3:10:30 AM: Stolen car front door 2
To get in the car without tripping the alarm is easy....well for someone who knows how to pick a car lock. You can unlock the car with just the key in your fob without having the fob near by. As for starting the car, who knows. On gen 4s and earlier if your key's RFID or immobilizer wasn't working you can start and drive the car by using the brake code. You got the brake code from the dealer. The brake code was a sequence of setting and releasing the parking brake based on your VIN. I'm sure Honda has a secret backdoor for newer vehicles also and the thief may knows what it is.

The. Admin. Istrator.
Sorry to see and hear this.

Thieves like this are just scum.

Hope the Police manage to assist and recover it undamaged. Definitely time to invest in steering wheel locks and other visual deterrants.

Reactions: trungster86

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To get in the car without tripping the alarm is easy....well for someone who knows how to pick a car lock. You can unlock the car with just the key in your fob without having the fob near by. As for starting the car, who knows. On gen 4s and earlier if your key's RFID or immobilizer wasn't working you can start and drive the car by using the brake code. You got the brake code from the dealer. The brake code was a sequence of setting and releasing the parking brake based on your VIN. I'm sure Honda has a secret backdoor for newer vehicles also and the thief may knows what it is.
Great insights. I forgot about the key in the fob. I wasn't aware of the brake codes for gen 4 but makes sense I'm sure there is a "secret" backdoor for gen 5. This would explain why it took the thief some time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All this being said is the CRV a highly targeted vehicle by thieves? Any advice on how to make these thefts more avoidable?
Sadly yes they are commonly targeted. I think they were #1 for 2019 in Quebec.

Link:

Suggestions in no particular order:

1. block your OBD port with a lock
2. get a second alarm system
3. wheel lock
4. brake pedal lock
5. place a tile in your vehicle
6. place a GPS tracker in your vehicle
7. install a kill switch

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
FACT: ALL vehicles can be stolen.. if a thief wants to do so. If they want your vehicle.. your vehicle is theirs to take.

Layered defense works best.. and Honda gives you several layers native to the car (key, key fob, keyless start that requires the fob, and immoblizer circuit if the vehicle is tampered with.

You can add your own layer of defense as well.. with the list tungster86 provided. The goal is to raise the level of pain to the theif high enough that he simply picks a different target vehicle.

Personally, I have the aftermarket security system that the dealer originally installs to protect their vehicles on the lot, and they give owners a big discount if you want to have it left active when you buy the vehicle. This system is quite a step up from the stock security in the CRV. You literally cannot manually insert a key into the door without the alarm going off. Same if anybody nudges or jostles the vehicle, even lightly.

Best all around protection at home.. park in a sealed garage. Out of sight, behind a barrier that must be compromised.

Registered
Remember 'The Club'? They are awesome. I used one for many years (still have it), and when going to questionable cities/neighborhoods. I never even bothered to lock it. Just grab it and slid it on - takes all but 2 seconds.

The key here is deterrent. Stealing mine is so much more of a hassle when the crook can just walk down to the neighbors for his CRV. There's plenty to go around, so they'll always go for the easy pickings.

Registered
Remember 'The Club'? They are awesome. I used one for many years (still have it), and when going to questionable cities/neighborhoods. I never even bothered to lock it. Just grab it and slid it on - takes all but 2 seconds.

The key here is deterrent. Stealing mine is so much more of a hassle when the crook can just walk down to the neighbors for his CRV. There's plenty to go around, so they'll always go for the easy pickings.

View attachment 139560
Thieves would just saw the steering wheel with a hacksaw to get a club off.

Where I used to live thieves would steal air bags from lots. It got so bad the dealers hired a security patrol for the off hours.

The Honda dealer closest to me had gangs come at night with Jacks and make off with rims and tires. They waved at the cameras while rolling away the tires. Now they put wheel locks on all the cars on the lot.

I went to my mechanic and he had installed a fancy camera system recently. He had hoods come , jack the cars up and steal catalytic converters.

Registered
I had The Club in the 90s. The thieves would cut the steering wheel in half to get The Club off. I think I gave it away with some car. I now only have one off-brand one in case I buy a youngtimer and need the full package.

The. Admin. Istrator.
Best deterrant is a full size steering wheel cover lock. Unless said thief has an angle grinder, that thing isnt ever coming off.

Registered
2019 CR-V EX
Sadly yes they are commonly targeted. I think they were #1 for 2019 in Quebec.

Link:

Suggestions in no particular order:

1. block your OBD port with a lock
2. get a second alarm system
3. wheel lock
4. brake pedal lock
5. place a tile in your vehicle
6. place a GPS tracker in your vehicle
7. install a kill switch
What sort of lock can you block your OBD port with?

Registered
I hate to say it - but even though I really like the drivability, comfort and interior design of my 2018 CRV EXL,- the mild oil dilution, fragile windshield (3 in first year), cascading warning lights twice (due to a faulty sensor) and a mystery AWD system error light (that has so far gone away on its own) - if it were stolen I'd view it as an opportunity to buy something else. I bought it without reading the reviews because I assumed it had the "Honda quality" I was used to - but I've been disappointed with it in that regard. Now if my 2014 Ody (which has it's faulty VCM disabled) were stolen I'd really be bummed! 馃榾

1 - 20 of 51 Posts