Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, we have a 1996 Honda CRV (It is a Japanese import) Here is the problem though, we live in Mozambique, and the roads here are a bit less than up to par... I am wondering though if there is an upgrade for the lower control arm to strut wishbone bushings. Due to our roads we have been having a problem with them going out, and the ones you can get here are not high quality and just go out again...

We have friends who can come from the USA to bring the parts from there if you all know where we can get them.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Those parts are typically OEM. May be someone makes stronger replacements for off-road use. The major US Honda parts sites (including the Honda eStore) only have CRV parts starting with 1997 model year. I would think a search on ebay would be the best bet.

May be you already did this but, I would try inflating the tires no more than the Honda recommended pressure. You can also try for tires with more side wall (higher aspect ratio), or off-road tires if available for this vehicle. This may help the tires absorb more of the bump before passing on to the control arm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the 1996 is identical to the '97, so that is no worry regarding the year. We run the tyre pressure at or a bit below the recommended pressure, as a lot of the roads are sand roads. I may check on Ebay and see what we can find there too.
Mainly what I am looking for are bushings that are made better, as we are having to replace them about every year! These are made out of rubber, and I am wondering if there are ones made out of some of that high performance bushing material that will hold up to the extreme conditions here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a place in South Africa where we can get a high strength polyurethane bushing so I think we may go with that. They are custom made to fix the common problem these CRVs had with that suspension bushing, and they are not too expensive too!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I found a place in South Africa where we can get a high strength polyurethane bushing so I think we may go with that. They are custom made to fix the common problem these CRVs had with that suspension bushing, and they are not too expensive too!
That's a great start, but I hope you have All Terrain tires too, not the OEM street tires. I too like to take my CRV places that my OEM tires would suck at, so I went with a much bigger tire that takes more abuse from the bumps and more importantly gives me a much smoother ride, which in turn will help your suspension a bit.

On my previous 2000 CRV I went from the stock 205/70 15 street tire, to a 215/75 15 All Terrain tire. (no lift kit, no rubbing)

On my current 2009 CRV I bought some great BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain (Highway) tires and absolutely love them, and as you can see they are a all around bigger tire.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we still have street tyres on it, as well as the original size, though they are starting to get worn out, so we are thinking about replacing them some time, and probably would replace them with off road tyres.
Your CRV looks great with those tyres! We will see if we can get the like here, they would so much better than the balding road tyres we have, which have lasted a long time, as they were the ones that were on the car when it was brought over from Japan I believe, and several years and many Kms later they are only now getting to the bald point.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have heard the same, at least for the front. I have never tried myself, but I do know that the front suspension is the same as the suspension on a Civic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts