Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have two days with the vehicle activating the alarm alone, when I try to deactivate the smart key it does not work and I have to open the door with the manual key, the dashboard is on as if they tried to start the vehicle, in the end the battery discharges for time How long does the board last, I don't know if any of you have a similar case

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,040 Posts
Step 1: Check your batteries health. A weak or failing battery might be causing a sensor to trigger that should not be. It also might make the vehicle ignore your keyfob as well.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Alarm is going off. Keyfob is not working. battery of car gets depleted.

we do not have your issues, and if the posters in here are helping out they are simply offering suggestions, before we can further assist, we would need just a lil more info, then misslead you.

1 your car is a Honda it's a 2016-2021 5th gen lx-toruing?
2 the alarm is Gh Hondal optional alarm system?

in the meantime on Aftermarket alarms, we pull the negative cable and when rehooking back up a spark will occur, that spark is due to the Alarm being armed. you will then need to be on the fob to clear it. Been there, done that, to know that,
this does not clear the issue but may help.

were there Electrical storms in the area to have caused this, were you getting static electricity shocks in the car (of the many years here no one mentions this) well for now there will be more members asking and answering so in the meantime go et an appointment up to get the problem fixed can be a shorted board, they do go. Alarm should be covered by a warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alarm is going off. Keyfob is not working. battery of car gets depleted.

we do not have your issues, and if the posters in here are helping out they are simply offering suggestions, before we can further assist, we would need just a lil more info, then misslead you.

1 your car is a Honda it's a 2016-2021 5th gen lx-toruing?
2 the alarm is Gh Hondal optional alarm system?

in the meantime on Aftermarket alarms, we pull the negative cable and when rehooking back up a spark will occur, that spark is due to the Alarm being armed. you will then need to be on the fob to clear it. Been there, done that, to know that,
this does not clear the issue but may help.

were there Electrical storms in the area to have caused this, were you getting static electricity shocks in the car (of the many years here no one mentions this) well for now there will be more members asking and answering so in the meantime go et an appointment up to get the problem fixed can be a shorted board, they do go. Alarm should be covered by a warranty.
Honda CR-V 2017 eXL
Factory alarm

being parked off, the vehicle only turns on the dashboard without the key being close to the vehicle, this causes the vehicle to trigger the factory alarm because the dashboard turns on as someone pressed the on and off button, when trying to turn off the alarm It does not work with the smart key so I have to use the manual key to open the doors, once inside the vehicle it allows me to turn it on or off, but sometimes it has been doing this problem for so long that when I go to check the vehicle I already discharge the battery complete

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
So the car Alarm is armed. and you press the handle on/off the alarm goes off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the car Alarm is armed. and you press the handle on/off the alarm goes off.

the alarm is armed.

But the vehicle without any person turns on the dashboard as if someone pressed the star engine button, the problem is not the alarm, the problem is that the vehicle turns on by itself

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Remote starter is your issue (Question)? totally agree with @Jayceegee if the warranty is in effect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello

I have two days with the vehicle activating the alarm alone, when I try to deactivate the smart key it does not work and I have to open the door with the manual key, the dashboard is on as if they tried to start the vehicle, in the end the battery discharges for time How long does the board last, I don't know if any of you have a similar case
I have the same problem with my crv 2017. Do you know what was the problem in your crv?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m the latest victim of this issue. Diagnosed BCM on my 2017 CRV EX-L. $1100 fix out of warranty and now the part is on back order with no estimated arrival. How is this not a recall or campaign yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m the latest victim of this issue. Diagnosed BCM on my 2017 CRV EX-L. $1100 fix out of warranty and now the part is on back order with no estimated arrival. How is this not a recall or campaign yet?
I have the same issue today. It triggered the anti- theft alarm as the car tried to start by itself. Turned it off couple of times but it keeps on turning on. I can hear like electrical glitches inside the dashboard. i have to disconnect the battery so it won’t turn on and alarm again.
I will bring my car to the dealer but i hope it won’t cost me much as i just out of warranty (38k miles). I have a CRV EXL 2018.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue today. It triggered the anti- theft alarm as the car tried to start by itself. Turned it off couple of times but it keeps on turning on. I can hear like electrical glitches inside the dashboard. i have to disconnect the battery so it won’t turn on and alarm again.
I will bring my car to the dealer but i hope it won’t cost me much as i just out of warranty (38k miles). I have a CRV EXL 2018.
Sorry to hear this. My CRV wound up being stuck at the dealership for 28 days before it was finally fixed. I got ZERO help from them with any kind of loaner vehicle or my rental fees. Honda America is non-existent and told me that a customer service person would follow up with me months ago. It upset my wife so much we nearly pulled the trigger on a brand new Subaru Outback...I was barely able to talk to her down. Best of luck to you my friend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issues with my 2017 cr v. My wife only has 27k miles on the car. At first I thought it was the battery. the alarm had gone off and would only turn off when I opened the door using the manual key. Then the battery died. I replaced it for $193 and it was fine for two days then it started all over again. I disconnected the battery so my neighbors can sleep. Will call customer care today. My #1 reason to buy Honda, especially for my wife, is because of reliability. But I am reading this thread and with my own experience am seriously considering another brand for my own next purchase which is due soon. It should be a recall! It seems to happen right after the three year warranty is up?? (could be happening before that with other owners but it is obviously an issue). Has anyone had any success contacting customer care ?(not the dealer). I have another brand for my own car which I took a risk on some years ago. The second year I had many many electrical issues and it Was in the shop a lot. But honestly, their customer care, not the dealer, went out of the way to help me. Gave me gift cards, and even waived my monthly finance payment of $500+ one month. In total it was well over $1k of accommodations and on top of that they extended my warranty from 3 years to 4 years for free. I never needed to use the warranty after those issues were resolved. It's been seven years without any issues whatsoever. I am hoping Honda customer care is as responsive and engaged.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
998 Posts
How do you get seven yrs with it only being a 2017 model? Did you mean months?

·
Registered
8 Posts
How do you get seven yrs with it only being a 2017 model? Did you mean months?
He was saying the other vehicle he purchased has had no issues in seven years, and that he found that company’s customer service assistance to be way more helpful than what people are saying they are experiencing with Honda

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,095 Posts
Poster @fokneel has not mentioned the brand of the "other" vehicle. Could be a luxury brand that might be inclined to assist more than Honda. We just don't know all the details.

·
Super Moderator
7,040 Posts
But I am reading this thread and with my own experience am seriously considering another brand for my own next purchase which is due soon. It should be a recall!
I personally think you are simply reading too much into the discussion here.

And as for a recall.. for what exactly? A bad battery? Nope. Recalls in the US are for safety related issues with a motor vehicle. If Honda were to do anything to address battery failure or premature drain (abnormal parasitic) it would be via a TSB (which Honda calls field campaigns). Any Honda dealer can look up your vehicle in their computer and see if there are any open TSBs for your VIN.

It is entirely possible that there is some system in your vehicle that is not powering down when you shut the vehicle down. but first.. check and make sure you do not have an interior light somehow turned on all the time (it can and does happen and it will drain a battery after a couple days). So.. let's assume you have an abnormal power down parasitic from a system no powering down properly... in which case you need to have it troubleshot and isolated for repair or you will just keep killing batteries. Since your vehicle is not indicating any alert lights or codes for the charging system, it is unlikely the charging system is at fault. Could however be that when your battery was replaced, the connection cables were not properly cleaned and reattached to the battery.. which can cause charging issues.

As for your gripe about this happening right after your 3/36 warranty expired.... that is purely coincidence. Nothing more, and certainly not one of the many conspiracy theories some Honda owners rage on about. And... exemplifies the value of a HondaCare exteneded warranty.. which can be purchase online from some dealers for steep discounts and generally will more than pay for itself on a single repair claim. Some owner prefer to just pay for repairs when they come, but many repairs on modern vehicles (regardless of brand) can run a thousand dollars or more so extended warranties make more sense as an owner investment in their vehicle as time progresses and motor vehicle innovation continues at the rapid pace it is moving at now days.

All in... there is no such thing as a defect or failure free motor vehicle. So jumping to another brand over one issue now with your CRV is very much moving out of the frying pan and into the fire. Or, put another way.. moving from frustration to disappointment.

·
Super Moderator
7,040 Posts
He was saying the other vehicle he purchased has had no issues in seven years, and that he found that company’s customer service assistance to be way more helpful than what people are saying they are experiencing with Honda
yeah.. but comparing an old vehicle to a newer vehicle is not only anecdotal at best, it is also comparing vehicles with much different technology, features, and electronics... particularly electronics. It's like comparing an old Chevy to a new Chevy.. apples and oranges even within the same brand.

And much of the rhetoric about Honda customer service in this forum comes across as very dealer specific. Not all dealers are of equal quality, even within a particular brand.

I get that he is frustrated right now... but comparing an old vehicle to a newer vehicle is misplaced and anecdotal at best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@JayS My wife ran into the exact same symptoms and issue yesterday. Dealer told her to bring it in so we did right away. They told us the BCM was "Fried" and a new one is on BO. It looks likes it going to cost similarly to have replaced. 18 CRV EX less than 3 years old but, with 44k and no extended warranty. Newest Car I've ever owned, but the most expensive non-wear I've ever had to replace :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts