Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!

I'm new here and I saw some users (@Gopher663 , @speedys4 , @davojuri ) that upgraded de RD1 diff to gen 3 diff.
For those who upgraded the diff with the spool kit and new clutches are you still running without issues?

Wheel Tire Sky Car Automotive carrying rack

Here is my CRV from Portugal!

EDIT: One of my big questions is the procedure of the installation, because some people say to drill the orifice (where the oil pass) of the dual pump, and others says to not to do that. Rivalries aside, what is the best procedure? Also, the people who sell this kit said that the racing diffs clutch pack is too agressive... I just want some better grip in rear wheels when offroading, and I don't want to compromise reliability.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
860 Posts
The orifice size from Pirate Garage(you tube channel) is twice the size as oem plus stronger springs and a shim for the clutch pack as well.

Keep in mind He is going for track use.

That is why people may be against using that set up for smooth daily driving or even occasional offroad use.

If you are considering increasing the size of the orifice hole go small, no need to go that big. I don't know how big of an orifice hole would need a stronger than oem springs.

·
Premium Member
1999 RD1 AWD auto
56 Posts
I have been reading as much DD as possible on this type of swap. My push would be for the land rover discovery viscous couple and the HRG clutch pack delete kit.

I have watched some pretty awesome videos from “huntertuned” on YouTube. He put 300hp through our little b20 and has a pretty dialed conversion set up. Not only does it replace the pinned non serviceable u-joints, but it retains all the factory mounting spots.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The orifice size from Pirate Garage(you tube channel) is twice the size as oem plus stronger springs and a shim for the clutch pack as well.

Keep in mind He is going for track use.

That is why people may be against using that set up for smooth daily driving or even occasional offroad use.

If you are considering increasing the size of the orifice hole go small, no need to go that big. I don't know how big of an orifice hole would need a stronger than oem springs.
And what do you think about the thermal switch that AKD sell?

I have been reading as much DD as possible on this type of swap. My push would be for the land rover discovery viscous couple and the HRG clutch pack delete kit.

I have watched some pretty awesome videos from “huntertuned” on YouTube. He put 300hp through our little b20 and has a pretty dialed conversion set up. Not only does it replace the pinned non serviceable u-joints, but it retains all the factory mounting spots.
Just my 2 cents.
I know that probably the best combo for OffRoad is that but the upgrade seems a bit more complex and I dont see many feedback besides 2 or 3 videos.

I'm just wondering if someone use the clutch pack kit and the spool kit for casual OffRoad.

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
860 Posts
And what do you think about the thermal switch that AKD sell?
I would not use it unless I am dedicating my V for just off road use. And only if I determined that it was the thermal valves that were causing traction problems.

This is why.
If I was driving out on the woods and I had removed the Thermal Valves there might be a chance that the Diff. Fluid might overheat. If it does the clutch pack discus and plates will overheat and get destroyed. I would find out when I notice that burnt clutch smell.

BTW I don't have RTAWD, I've researched all this information out of curiosity. My uncles RD2 is RTAWD this will help me understand how to fix his, if I had to.
🍻

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would not use it unless I am dedicating my V for just off road use. And only if I determined that it was the thermal valves that were causing traction problems.

This is why.
If I was driving out on the woods and I had removed the Thermal Valves there might be a chance that the Diff. Fluid might overheat. If it does the clutch pack discus and plates will overheat and get destroyed. I would find out when I notice that burnt clutch smell.

BTW I don't have RTAWD, I've researched all this information out of curiosity. My uncles RD2 is RTAWD this will help me understand how to fix his, if I had to.
🍻
Yes, you are right. It's there for a reason and it's more safe being there to prevent overheating issues. Probably the best way to go is Spool Kit and Clutches and keep the thermal valve.

Anyone running this?

"Forget about the one-wheel spin! With our Progressive LSD Conversion set, you will no longer suffer from losing grip!
The set is mounted on your standard differential, transforming it into a clutch-type 25% lock limited slip differential.
No more one-wheel spin on start, and sloppy turns around the corner. With this conversion set, you will gain the true performance of a proper limited slip differential."

Font Gadget Audio equipment Plastic Household hardware

1 - 6 of 6 Posts