Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

We are a family of three and almost always don't need a third seat. We don't travel long distance but when we do we sure hope we had a slightly larger vehicle (currently drive corolla). We keep our cars 8+ years or longer. I understand fuel and maintenance costs will be slightly higher with the Pilot when compared to CRV. I also don't like that folks are still reporting oil dilution issues with CRV. With that out of the way, I am looking at CRV Touring and Pilot EXL. Based on the prices I am looking at on the both the forums seems to be a 3 to 4 thousand dollars difference and I am leaning towards the Pilot.
Has anyone been in this situation and chosen one over the other ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have a 2019 Pilot Touring and a 2018 CR-V EX-L. I bought them within a month of each other. They're both very different cars. Unless you have a need for the third row in the Pilot, you'll have it down, as there is very, very little trunk space with it up. Just enough to put a couple of suitcases standing up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
For a comparison, I have an 18 CR-V Touring, my mom has a 17 Pilot Elite. The Pilot is definitely roomier, quieter, faster, and still manages ~25-27mpg on the highway versus my CR-V's 29-33mpg. If they're both 2019s, the Pilot has a newer infotainment system that offers OTA updates. However, the CR-V offers and adjustable height liftgate and the driver assistance on the CR-V is a generation newer so it's smoother and offers full-speed ACC whereas the ACC in the Pilot shuts off at ~20mph. If something happened to my CR-V I probably wouldn't replace it with another one but would be torn between the RDX and the Passport.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Forgot to mention that the '19 Pilot has a much nicer infotainment system. I believe that the '19 Pilot has a newer driver assistance system as well. Functionally, it seems to work about the same as my '18 CR-V's does. Fit and finish is excellent on both. The Pilot is a little more upscale than my CR-V, but then again, I have a EX-L CR-V and a Touring Pilot. I average somewhere around 7-10 MPG better mileage on my CR-V depending on what kind of driving we're doing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Can you wait for the 2020 CRV? usually comes out in November or early December.
My cousin has a Pilot and he'd be averaging 22mpg. They are definitely much bigger and heavier but powerful. We get 31 to 33 mpg on our CRV, 35 on long trips.
RDX is worth looking into also but yes, more upscale thus pricier.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We have a 17 CRV Touring and 18 Pilot EX-L. I prefer my Pilot, it's quieter, better ride, and oh the V-6 sounds glorious from idle to redline. However, the CRV is a lot more fun to push around the mountain curvy roads. Gas mileage is not much different, 25mpg vs 22mpg city and on the highway the CRV is usually 3mpg better.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
While most of this sites members are Honda fans it should be remembered that Honda is not the only game in town.

I recently ran a Hyundai Sante Fe - and loved it. I'd still be in it if someone hadn't stole/ wrecked it (necessitating another buggy).

The consumer reports recommded Sante Fe is larger than the V, smaller than the Passport. Give it a look-see - it offers quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
We are a family of three and almost always don't need a third seat.
To me, this says the "fly-off" comparison should be between the CRV and the new Passport. The trim levels are a bit different for the Passport vs the Pilot.. and as such.. you can save some money on the upper level trims on the Passport.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The wife had a '16 Pilot EX-L W/ Sensing until an encounter with a deer...enter the '18 CR-V Touring.

She thought the Pilot was a bit too big for her driving wise...

Inside the CR-V is almost the same size STORAGE capacity wise (waaaaay bigger than our '14 CR-V)...

The Pilot has an exceptional AWD system and I felt absolutely STUCK to the road in ice and snow with proper winter tires. The latest CR-V's have the best AWD system of all CR-V's, it just not as superlative as the Pilot (Passport).

The CR-V has better fuel economy most of the time but I live in Montana and travel at 85+ MPH on the highway (we do have mountains as well) and the fuel economy ofttimes sinks to the low 20's. The range shrinks as well.

Then Pilot was a better highway cruiser with the exception of the 'fluttery hood' and occasional wind 'squeal' while driving at highway speeds in a HIGH crosswind.

Did we use all three rows? Four times we filled the Pilot up with eight folks.

It's my wife's car and the CR-V is just right for her. I personally do not like the Passport but really like the winter stability of the Pilot.

Best of luck to you - make sure you let us know what vehicle/brand you purchase.

·
Registered
85 Posts
For a family of 3(what i have), the crv is huge. There's more than enough space for any kind of trip(road trip, camping).
CRV is cheaper to run in the long haul, that's what i would run. The motor can sound unrefined but its got good torque to get around.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For a family of 3(what i have), the crv is huge. There's more than enough space for any kind of trip(road trip, camping).
CRV is cheaper to run in the long haul, that's what i would run. The motor can sound unrefined but its got good torque to get around.
True, but with that small a price difference wouldn't you want to go for Pilot ?

·
Registered
2018 Touring
214 Posts
The CR-V is built on a Civic chassis. The Pilot weighs 800 lbs. more and shares a chassis with the Ridgeline. I drove in a Pilot last week and where you really feel the difference is agility around town and on curves. But I must say the Pilot drives very well for its size.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The CR-V is built on a Civic chassis. The Pilot weighs 800 lbs. more and shares a chassis with the Ridgeline. I drove in a Pilot last week and where you really feel the difference is agility around town and on curves. But I must say the Pilot drives very well for its size.
Thanks gnosisdog that helps. Had not thought about the chassis before.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have a 2019 Pilot Touring and a 2018 CR-V EX-L. I bought them within a month of each other. They're both very different cars. Unless you have a need for the third row in the Pilot, you'll have it down, as there is very, very little trunk space with it up. Just enough to put a couple of suitcases standing up.
jmgarner01 which one do you enjoy driving the most ? And which has less cabin noise ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
jmgarner01 which one do you enjoy driving the most ? And which has less cabin noise ?
I know you didn't ask me, but since I have a decent amount of experience driving both. In town I prefer my CR-V, the steering on it tight and quick, overall it's fantastic and it's so easy to park and bomb around town in. Long distance highway travel is opposite due to the lower cabin noise and smoother ride of the Pilot. It just eats up the highway. Also if the rear seat is going to be occupied a lot, it's worth noting that in the Pilot rear seat passengers get their own A/C zone and sun shades.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts