Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, just bought an '05 CRV LX with 6500 miles (10,500 kms), it's got the steel rims on it which aren't exactly my favorite.

So I'm looking to put a set of alloys on it, can anyone tell me what the tire size is - 205/70/16 ? Will any other 5 bolt 16x6.5 honda rim fit ?

Can anyone confirm that the bolt pattern is 5x114.3mm ?

If any/all of the 5 bolt honda rims (Civic, Accord, Odyssey etc.) will suit the CRV fitment wise, then I may end up with another set than the standard CRV alloys.

Thanks for your help !!!
AL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ended up buying stock '05 aluminum wheels, I'd delete this post if I could..

·
Registered
9 Posts
16" Honda Pilot rims will work on CR-V also. i put a set on my 03-LX and dumped the 15" steel ones. took a little work to figure out the tire size so i didn't mess up the speedo. the bigger rim looks good in the wheel well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
16" Honda Pilot rims will work on CR-V also. i put a set on my 03-LX and dumped the 15" steel ones. took a little work to figure out the tire size so i didn't mess up the speedo. the bigger rim looks good in the wheel well.
so what tire size did you use to avoid messing up the speedo?

·
Registered
431 Posts
26.3" total tire diameter for all G1/G2s stock. Tirerack has specs, Discount Tire has their calculator to find out that way. Or if you use bigger tires you could take it to Honda for a reprogram which is what I'll have to do since I don't think that Yellow Box is compatible with automatics...

IMO, the 97-06 CR-Vs got shafted on wheels, they are WAAAYYYY too small for the vehicle and the G3 fixes it nicely. I'm currently in the process of picking out tires for mine that'll be about 2" taller than stock. If my speedo is off 5mph then it wouldn't be the first time haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
will they fit?

A few questions from a newbie:

1. Can (or should) I put 2002 Odyssey wheels on my 2010 CRV? I am thinking about buying someone's oem steel rims and wheel covers for my winter tires. He/she provided this info for the Odyssey wheels:

16 x 6.5
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3

2. This is my first ride with TPMS. My understanding from reading a few of the posts is that the TPMS light will be on during the winter. Is that the only downside? My apologies if this questions has been asked numerous times.

·
Registered
431 Posts
With no TPMS, your VSA and ABS are disabled IIRC, I could be wrong though. As far as the wheels themselves, G3 offset is +50, rims are 17x6.5" so your winter tires would just use a higher sidewall to maintain stock height. G1/G1.5/G2 are 15x6 and +55 offset. G2.5 is 16x6.5 and I THINK +55 offset as well.

TPMS sucks but is necessary IMO because of all the idiots out there who don't/won't check their tire pressure and cause all sorts of accidents. Not to mention all the gas wasted because Joe/Jane Schmoe is running 24psi on a 100+ mile round trip commute every day... I actually know a right wing fanatic at work who won't check their tire pressure because Obama said it was a good idea... Yeah ppl like that who need a good swift kick in the ass. Same reason we have low oil lights, for ppl who need to be told by the car to do basic routine checks. However I digress....

TPMS sensors can be had relatively cheap on Amazon and last 5 years according to my Honda tech. It might be a worthwhile expense to keep everything up to par. Or you could find a set of 07-10 takeoff wheels (probably from a LX) and use those provided they still have the TPMS sensors installed.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
With no TPMS, your VSA and ABS are disabled IIRC, I could be wrong though. As far as the wheels themselves, G3 offset is +50, rims are 17x6.5" so your winter tires would just use a higher sidewall to maintain stock height. G1/G1.5/G2 are 15x6 and +55 offset. G2.5 is 16x6.5 and I THINK +55 offset as well.

TPMS sucks but is necessary IMO because of all the idiots out there who don't/won't check their tire pressure and cause all sorts of accidents. Not to mention all the gas wasted because Joe/Jane Schmoe is running 24psi on a 100+ mile round trip commute every day... I actually know a right wing fanatic at work who won't check their tire pressure because Obama said it was a good idea... Yeah ppl like that who need a good swift kick in the ass. Same reason we have low oil lights, for ppl who need to be told by the car to do basic routine checks. However I digress....

TPMS sensors can be had relatively cheap on Amazon and last 5 years according to my Honda tech. It might be a worthwhile expense to keep everything up to par. Or you could find a set of 07-10 takeoff wheels (probably from a LX) and use those provided they still have the TPMS sensors installed.

ABS is not affected. Without the sensors you will not be able to disable the VSA.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ah there you go then. And VSA does SUCK in the snow. I can't believe that Honda didn't have a kill switch installed from the factory like Ford does for some of its vehicles. It defaults to always on for safety but you just press a button to turn it off.

As for TPMS, one solution I read about was making a pressurized cylinder out of PVC with a screw in endcap you seal up with rtv, installing a valve stem and just throwing the TPMS sensors in there and pressurizing it to 35 psi. Then just put it somewhere secure and check it once a week.

Don't see why this would not work and this allows you to do whatever you want with wheels/tires and not have to worry about TPMS.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Ah there you go then. And VSA does SUCK in the snow. I can't believe that Honda didn't have a kill switch installed from the factory like Ford does for some of its vehicles. It defaults to always on for safety but you just press a button to turn it off.

As for TPMS, one solution I read about was making a pressurized cylinder out of PVC with a screw in endcap you seal up with rtv, installing a valve stem and just throwing the TPMS sensors in there and pressurizing it to 35 psi. Then just put it somewhere secure and check it once a week.

Don't see why this would not work and this allows you to do whatever you want with wheels/tires and not have to worry about TPMS.
Honda does have a VSA off switch on its vehicles....But if the TPMS light is on the VSA cannot be shut off.

Your idea for the sensors won't work. The sensors need to be rotating to operate.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Honda does have a VSA off switch on its vehicles....But if the TPMS light is on the VSA cannot be shut off.

Your idea for the sensors won't work. The sensors need to be rotating to operate.
and driving in snow is a place where you may want to shut the VSA off. so, to get back your ability to shut it off, you need a second set of TPMSs installed in your winter wheels. the ones for alloys are different than the ones for steelies.

i'm sure glad my 2002 doesn't have TPMS or VSA.
(or an automatic transmission.)

·
Registered
431 Posts
A few questions from a newbie:

1. Can (or should) I put 2002 Odyssey wheels on my 2010 CRV? I am thinking about buying someone's oem steel rims and wheel covers for my winter tires. He/she provided this info for the Odyssey wheels:

16 x 6.5
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3

2. This is my first ride with TPMS. My understanding from reading a few of the posts is that the TPMS light will be on during the winter. Is that the only downside? My apologies if this questions has been asked numerous times.

Here is a good solution. $195 for four G3 LX rims with TPMS sensors included.

·
Registered
3 Posts
26.3" total tire diameter for all G1/G2s stock. Tirerack has specs, Discount Tire has their calculator to find out that way. Or if you use bigger tires you could take it to Honda for a reprogram which is what I'll have to do since I don't think that Yellow Box is compatible with automatics...

IMO, the 97-06 CR-Vs got shafted on wheels, they are WAAAYYYY too small for the vehicle and the G3 fixes it nicely. I'm currently in the process of picking out tires for mine that'll be about 2" taller than stock. If my speedo is off 5mph then it wouldn't be the first time haha.
Have you put on bigger tires yet? I'm trying to get larger tires but I don't know if I can go 2" bigger in diameter or only 1" bigger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
it is possible to put 20 inch rim to my 2011 honda crv..and do you think it will affect the TPMS and the stability of the car???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts