Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hope someone can help. I'm new here, and know nothing about cars, so hopefully I can give as much information as possible. I went to start car this morning for work, put my key in ignition, and it just clicked and started whirring when I tried to turn it over. It's not the battery. There's a strong smell of petrol. When I'm turning it over, it feels as it wants to start, but just won't. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Are you sure it isn't a battery problem? Usually a click and a very slow turn is either the battery is low or a bad connection at one of the battery cables or at the other end of the cable where it meets the frame or starter.

What happens if you turn the headlights on while attempting to start it? Do the headlights go very dim or does their brightness stay normal? If they dim you have an battery issue (unless the starter is bad). If they stay normal it is something else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2001 CRV not starting yesterday morning. The battery I have is a Diehard 51R and I've had the battery for about 3 years. The battery was tested last month at the service center and tested good. Yesterday morning was pretty cold here (maybe single digits). When I had it towed to the shop, they checked it out and replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. They said it is not my battery. I was wondering what the issue ended up being with your car when you got it fixed? My neighbor advised me that the battery should be something with high CCA (cold cranking amps) and the Diehard battery I have is rated high for cold weather. So I'm curious if and when this battery should be replaced at this point? My car is not in a garage, it sits under a carport so it is out in the cold, and we generally get single digit to teen temperatures at night here for the remaining winter months...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
SarahP - what was the level of warranty on your battery?
3 years?
More?
Any battery is going to exhibit problems if the other systems, ie ignition system, aren't up to the task of cold weather starts.
How does your car start now that the ignition components have been replaced?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts