Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a 2012 CR-V LX AWD with 68k mileage on it. I have some questions to ask.

The inner edges of front tires are scalloped (or cupped). So when I drive, I can hear the humming noise. It's loud. The tires (Cooper Discoverer HTP) have a lot of life in them. What I am thinking of doing is to rotate them and then do the wheel alignment at the next oil change (~6k miles). The back tires are not as bad as the front ones, but I can see they are also scalloped a bit.

1. What do you think is the cause of the issue?

2. Any recommended tire rotation pattern for this kind of wear? I am thinking of rotating straight front to back (eg., left-front<->left-back), rather than crisscrossing them. Please kindly advise.

Also I feel some vibration inside the car when the engine is idle. This vibration goes away when I press the gas and the car starts moving. The vibration is not very strong but definitely I can feel it's there. I am not sure if this is normal or not.

a. Does anyone have similar feeling?

Thanks guys!
-kk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the rear tires have a negative camber, my 2011 does....you can see what looks like the tires leaning inward at the top. This would cause the tires to wear on the inside....I replaced the rear control arms with aftermarket adjustable and that gave me the ability to get the alignment almost dead on. Just a thought....

As for the vibration....could be a number of things....what is the RPM doing when you're idling? Might be something as simple as cleaning the throttle body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the rear tires have a negative camber, my 2011 does....you can see what looks like the tires leaning inward at the top. This would cause the tires to wear on the inside....I replaced the rear control arms with aftermarket adjustable and that gave me the ability to get the alignment almost dead on. Just a thought....

As for the vibration....could be a number of things....what is the RPM doing when you're idling? Might be something as simple as cleaning the throttle body.
Thanks, Hian. I will check the front tires to see if they are leaning inward at the top as the wear is mostly on the front tires (I am assuming there is a negative camber for the front also?).

When idling, RPM is stable around 500 rpm. The vibration goes away when the rpm is above 1000.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The fronts should be OK as those control arms are adjustable...the lean is more noticeable on the rear tires, but if the tires had been rotated to the front, then you'll find them there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wouldn't wait 6k. Take it in for 4w alignment and have them rotate as needed. The coopers are not original and if you find
out when they were put on. You can then determine how fast the damage to the tires is happening.
elimination of known problems increases satisfied drive time. :)

eng shake . . . 68k, tire issues, did you look at the eng oil when you first saw it?(was it old oil?)
If it was mine. 1. check / replace the air filter
2. one bottle dry gas treatment next tank full
3. where did the last full tank come from? possible gas issue, get some good stuff

does problem still exist?

good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't wait 6k. Take it in for 4w alignment and have them rotate as needed. The coopers are not original and if you find
out when they were put on. You can then determine how fast the damage to the tires is happening.
elimination of known problems increases satisfied drive time. :)

eng shake . . . 68k, tire issues, did you look at the eng oil when you first saw it?(was it old oil?)
If it was mine. 1. check / replace the air filter
2. one bottle dry gas treatment next tank full
3. where did the last full tank come from? possible gas issue, get some good stuff

does problem still exist?

good luck!
Thanks!

I rotated the tires myself over the weekend (just did the straight swaps). I am thinking of riding out about 4-5k to see if the wear appears.

The dealer changed the engine oil and filter. I checked the engine oil, and it looks clean. But haven't specifically checked the filter though.

The last full tank was from the dealer. Then I filled up a few gallons later. I will try the dry gas. Any particular brand you'd recommend?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts