Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the group and hopefully you all can help me figure what is wrong with this 2011 Honda Crv 4wd. This Crv has about 156k miles. Single owner, per the carfax it had oil changes and services done at its correct intervals at a Honda dealership..
When I bought it from the 1st owner, head gasket and waterpump had been recently replace,the transmission was service, radiator was flush, O2 sensors where replace. All that done about 50 miles ago.. But for reason the engine doesnt have power accelerating under load. It is somewhat drivable, but at a stop light, when the pedal is fully depress it doesnt take off. It slowly start picking up speed. At cruising speed 60mph.. the suv will not stay in overdrive.. you can feel the engine shake, and in order to keep up it has to change to a lower gear to stay up to speed.
I figured it might have to do with the the intake hose being torn and all tape from the airbox to the throttle body. Went ahead and replace it. The problem was still there. Went ahead and replace the throttle body, that didnt help. I figured since there is no engine light it might be the ECU that was messing up. I went ahead and replace it and reprogram it and still no luck.
I check the catalytic conveter, and turns out the secondary cat, was clogged incoming temp was about 500f and the exit temp was 200f. I figured that would solve my problem. Welp, in turns out it didnt. The problem still persist.
So after all that to no avail. I took it to a Honda dealership for a diagnostic. and was told it had a timing issue. I took back home and remove valve cover off and the timing is correct. Turned it a couple of times and the timing doesn't seem to be off. A friend and I came up with the conclussion it might have a stretch timing chain, that might be throwing timing off. Yet i dont have a solid check engine light on. I was able to read a code for about 3 mins. on a test drive when the light blink on and it was for code P1129 and it cleared on its own. Or possibility is that when ever the head gasket was done, The lathe shop might have mill the head to deep and now the chain is oversized. I feel like with all that has been done im better off just replacing the whole engine.
Any ideas what i should look for? Could a new chain possible fix the issue. I hate to keep through money in to this.

Thanks.

Premium Member
2009 CR-V EX-L (no NAVI)
Only thing I can come up with. Have you cleaned/replaced the MAP and MAF sensors? Haven't had this problem with our CR-V but similar lack of power etc with our Frontier was a dirty MAF.
Good luck with this and 'welcome'.

Reactions: 8dragon and BLimon

Registered
2011 EXL & 2015 EX
Sorry, not my area of expertise-but I seriously doubt the chain is the issue.

But hang on a while- we have a few knowledgeable folks on here. Just give them time to get home from work and get online. You'll get some help here.

Registered
ECU replaced and reprogram? I thought that was a dealer only deal or purchase a subscription? How was that accomplished?
Honda said it was a timing issue, any details of what they said or wrote down?
Timing is correct you say, valve cover off, did you check valve clearances? Was the chain tight? I think chain stretch would be difficult to see with the marks and you would need to have an accurate crankshaft position to know for sure. Do you have a scan tool that reads real time information?
The code could be because of the variable timing and why only present for a small amount of time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ECU replaced and reprogram? I thought that was a dealer only deal or purchase a subscription? How was that accomplished?
Honda said it was a timing issue, any details of what they said or wrote down?
Timing is correct you say, valve cover off, did you check valve clearances? Was the chain tight? I think chain stretch would be difficult to see with the marks and you would need to have an accurate crankshaft position to know for sure. Do you have a scan tool that reads real time information?
The code could be because of the variable timing and why only present for a small amount of
The ECU was replaced with an use ECU from another 4wd CRV.. what i ment to say was that the key and imobilzer was program to that computer.

The dealership didnt give me no details beside it just being off time, and further diagnostics will cost me $2k and having the engine dissamble.
I do remember when i checked the timing, in order to get the marking on the cams to align I had to move the exhaust cam slighty with wrench.. to get the pin to fit in the pass through hole..

A couple of valves on the intake side seem to have excess clearance, ive notice some clacking.

I do have a scanner.. not the best but does get the job done. What should I look for?

Also at the moment I have no fuel efficiency.. it is drinking gas like crazy.. about 10 mpg.
Ive notice that in cooler weather.. early morning or night.. it seems to have more power and accelerate like it should.

Registered
Look at freeze frame for the code. Look at fuel trims, and the reported MAP and MAF if it reads it, not sure what else that is relevant that the simple scanners show. So then you never properly located the crankshaft position so you really don't know what the timing was? 156K miles, oil changes etc. I wouldn't think the chain would be an issue but never know for sure. Post the fuel trims here. And like others say clean MAF and throttle body.
Could even be a variable valve timing issue, but that usually has its own specific code. Are there any oil leaks? What condition are the spark plugs?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look at freeze frame for the code. Look at fuel trims, and the reported MAP and MAF if it reads it, not sure what else that is relevant that the simple scanners show. So then you never properly located the crankshaft position so you really don't know what the timing was? 156K miles, oil changes etc. I wouldn't think the chain would be an issue but never know for sure. Post the fuel trims here. And like others say clean MAF and throttle body.
Could even be a variable valve timing issue, but that usually has its own specific code. Are there any oil leaks? What condition are the spark plugs?
No oil leaks, MAF and Throttle body has been replaced. I do have a CEL on finally, and it is for P1129 and P0507. I would be checking timing and valve clearances again. Any idea what the intake and exhaust clearance should be?

Registered
2007 CRV AWD
Wow, if I heard the head gasket was replaced then my first reaction would be to walk away.
Not an option now.
Lack of power?
If you have an dual channel oscilloscope and amp meter (and/or pressure transducer)
then you could hook it up to see the timing??
Not many do not. I certainly do not.
That is the timing of the spark in relationship to the position of the piston stroke
I do not see how removing the valve cover would help in that respect??

How about checking the some of the basics.
Take a look at the spark plug condition and the spark being produced
Injector cleaner??
Check the compression and do a leak down test of the engine
Check air filter and MAF sensor.
Check and/or clean the oil screens on the VTEC solenoids

Will need a scanner of some sort (there are some cheap code readers that can do this too)
Take a look at some live data
Short term trim and long term trim data
That should tell you if it is running lean or rich
O2 sensors will let you know if they are responding
Check for pending diagnostic trouble codes
Crank sensor/ cam sensor???

Good luck

Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
I can only guess this car has some unknown history. Possible damage to the internals or just some amateur tomfoolery with the engine management devices.
Believe your dealer gave your V a "drive by" diagnosis. Perhaps you can find a good mechanic, never easy.
For valve clearances and such, get the service manual linked in the Stickies in this very forum. Thanks CarBuff!

Registered
From memory Intake .008 to .010, Exhaust .010 to .011 for a 2009. The P1129 look for vacuum leaks, and get the trims as we both mentioned above. P0507 looks like something to to with idle air control.
Need to use that scan tool.

Registered
Valve lash and tolerance is on the sticker on the inside of the hood. Just look up. Can check the manual as a double-check.

I saw Pine Hollow Diagnostics and South Main Auto videos where they checked timing. They used some fancy sensors and I鈥檇 have to look up how they did it. I think he called it a pico-scope. I think he was comparing the crank position sensor and the camshaft position sensor.

Did you pay that Honda dealership for the diagnostic where they said it is a timing issue? If so, they should have given you some data that showed it. Otherwise did they just do a guess-diagnosis? I guess the follow-up question is 鈥渉ow do you know?鈥
If the answer is 鈥渨e鈥檝e seen it before and that was the cause鈥 then it鈥檚 just an educated guess. Then they should stand by the diagnosis that if they do the work and it doesn鈥檛 fix the problem then they don鈥檛 get paid.

If you exhaust trouble-shooting options it seems worthwhile to pay for a good diagnosis like PHD would do where they take data and can show you the evidence. The thing is, when you don鈥檛 know what that would look like, or what the real problem could be, how do you know what to expect from them?

Registered
Yes if you took it to Honda and paid any amount to ask what it was, they owe you something in writing about what the diagnosis was, and why they say that. = what the findings were.
I'd like to hear more about what they did or didn't do, and how much it cost.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello guys, turns out.. that for some odd reason timing is off.. but it just gets worst.. if i match the crankshaft to its marking the intake cam will be off about an tooth and if i time the cams.. the crankshaft is off.. so i decided to take the cover off.. and fix the chain.. and for the sake of me.. i cant get the crankshaft to align.. i have the cams set with its pins and the chain sitting right.. but at the crankshaft it wont match. By a tooth.... not sure what the problem is. Piston #1 is at TDC.. and if i match the chain to dot on the gear.. the crank is off time..

Registered
2007 CRV AWD
Sorry, just a bunch of questions, ...
Are you following the timing dots on the chain??
The different color links in the chain??
Not sure if they do line up right??
But, how about just making the crankshaft time correct and the cams correct
And not looking at the color links?
Can it be done and would it work??

Registered
I think you are right on target. He will definitely need a descent scan tool to read the sensor values to get a better idea of which one is at fault. Erratic timing could indicate faulty variable valve timing. Nowadays there's no way around viewing the data on a good scan tool to point you in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts