Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the Draw Tite 2" hitch installed on my CR-V. I didn't care for the quality of it (receiver was slightly off plumb, canted clockwise) or how much of it was exposed under the vehicle. Looked clunky. I'm not all that worried about appearance, but I do like this look better. The main reason the DT was replaced was due to the off square defect.

Curt unit arrived today, just installed it. Figured there might be some interest here, so I took the time to take some pics for the group.

I wanted a 2" receiver because it opens up more options down the road for bike racks. Many of the 3 and 4 bike racks require a 2" receiver for safe use. I don't plan on towing anything.

Install was pretty straightforward. The instructions did not account for or mention an underbody shield that had to be removed. No biggie, pretty obvious to figure out.

I used a Dremel with a reinforced cutting wheel to cut the bumper cover. The instructions mention a 3" square cut out. I had to do a 3.5" cut side to side. 3" might work in a lab where the hitch is perfectly constructed and there are no welds, etc. The extra 1/2" or so of width made it a lot easier, and the cover doesn't touch the hitch. 3" deep front to back was fine. I did the 3" square cut first, then did a dry run, found that the width of the hole was lacking, and went back in to remove the additional material.

I also had to trim the underbody fiber shield that they don't mention in the instructions. Minor, again used the Dremel to quickly remove a bit of material.

You'll notice in the pics that I had to remove enough material to eliminate a trim plug hole. No matter, that hole isn't used for anything on my car anyway. Even if it had been, there are enough trim holes to where losing that one is of no consequence.

Hitch seems to be of typical Curt quality, which I rank a little above Draw Tite. I much prefer the look of this one versus the DT where the whole thing hung down under the car.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Great photos.. I am going to buy one, too. Hey 88r100rt (or anyone) where is you buy your small raisers to raise the car only a few inches to complete this task.. I have some but are large and bulky.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I recall, my ramps are Rhino Ramps. I picked them up at Advance Auto Parts if memory serves, but it's been years. You can get them on Amazon or most auto parts stores, I think.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
where is the rest of the hitch? did you find the holes to attach behind the mufflers?
Most of it mounts up under the rear bumper cover plastic, behind the silver part. Just the receiver sticks out at the bottom. 90% of it is hidden. It mounts like a normal hitch. The wings where it bolts on to the car are under the muffler(s).

You have to remove the rubber exhaust hangers, let the exhaust droop down enough to gain access to the mounting holes. I put a floor jack under the exhaust about half way forward to keep it from coming down too low. Really, though, if you leave the front most hanger, you wouldn't need to do that necessarily. I did it as a safety measure.

Once the exhausts are low enough, you fish the mounting bolts and plates into place through a larger access hole in the "frame" rail.

Cut the square out of the bumper cover, then bend the cover outward (it is very easy and flexible) enough to get the hitch behind it. Hitch bolts up, receiver pokes down through the hole you cut in the cover. Replace exhaust hangers.

Even from under the car, you can't see much of anything. The mounting points are hidden by the mufflers (one on mine, two on turbos). Fascia hides all but the receiver.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks great. I prefer seeing as little of the hitch as possible, and this one definitely does the job there. Nice DIY. Now, hows about some pics of the antique RT!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I do like the look of the Curt much much more than the Draw Tight.

Great job and thanks so much for posting the pics. I have been waiting on the Curt as we have had great luck and satisfaction with them in the past.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Now, hows about some pics of the antique RT!
My grandfather bought the bike new in the late 80's. He eventually got too old to ride, but was too attached to it to sell it, so it sat in his garage for years. My dad ended up with it after he passed away. Dad didn't really have room to store it due to other cycles, and told me I could have it if I promised not to sell it. I flew to central Pennsylvania from Kansas City and rode it back about 5 years ago.

The only ones I have handily accessible on my laptop:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, what a beauty! And a great story too. You are a lucky man! Did Grandpa add the Laminar lip, the Corbin and the pegs too?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wow, what a beauty! And a great story too. You are a lucky man! Did Grandpa add the Laminar lip, the Corbin and the pegs too?
Thanks. My dad had the bike for a year or two and he put those goodies on. Well, the windshield and the seat. The lip works pretty well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm reading the installation guide for the 13306 Curt Class 3 Trailer Hitch Receiver. I'm not understanding why a 3"x3" trimming of the underbody panel is required. Is this step applicable only for "HANDS FREE LIFT GATE ENABLED VEHICLES" or is it required for all CR-V trims, i.e. LX, EX, and Touring? I have a 2017 CR-V Ex trim (manual lift gate).

hZZps://goo.gl/kYNhfz (installation guide)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Photobucket changed their hosting policy for those listing photos on 3rd party sites. Now they charge a fee. Lots of upset users are switching to other hosting services.

The 3x3" bumper panel cut enables the hitch to sit up higher while still reaching out past the bumper. I would expect it to be the same for all CRV trims.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts