Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered the above referenced hitch online from Walmart.com yesterday (10/8) about 8:00AM......FEDEX just dropped it off today (10/9) about 9:30AM. Way to go Walmart.:doublethumb:

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Got ‘er done this afternoon. THAT WAS FUN! Definitely could have used four hands, but two is all I had. Glad I went with the Curt. The Drawtite on our RAV4 sticks out like a sore thumb.....only thing visible with the Curt is the receiver. Zero crossbar visible.:thumb:

Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Car Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I think you made the best choice, and it shows! I love my Curt. Of course, on my '07, I don't get the luxury of having it mostly hidden, but it's design style includes a curved shape that makes it conform nicely with the shape of the back of the car, so it looks as good as it possibly could given that it is fully exposed, and much better than any other hitch made for the Gen3, and fit and finish are great as well:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Curt Hitch does look good on your CRV. How much trimming did you have to do on the fascia and the bracket to get it installed?

I Used tin snips and made 2 parallel cuts about 3” long each and 3.5” apart, iirc. After making the 2 parallel cuts, I just folded the piece up, didn’t actually remove it. Regarding that piece of fiber sound insulation, I made several small cuts, trial fitting after each cut, until it cleared/fit. Trimming is the easy part, trust me.

I’m not quite as strong as I once was (pushing 70).....an extra set of hands would have really helped. I used a floor jack on one end of the hitch while bolting up the other end. I also loosely bolted up the center of the hitch before bolting up the ends.....that helped a lot.

I’m very pleased with the end result. I have a small utility trailer that I stand on it’s end and store out of the weather in the garage.....handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
That is a very cool little trailer! I like it. Since I am selling my truck, I sold my 16' trailer, it's too big for the CR-V anyway, so I am looking for a good ten-footer. My community provides a storage lot, so I can keep it there.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Five p/u trucks later, I figure I’ve had my last (traded in on our CRV).

Trailered an assembled eliptical exerciser just this afternoon. Much easier to lift it onto the 19” high trailer deck than a +/-36” high p/u bed. At 26-27mpg putting around town vs 12-13mpg, I figure the price of the trailer and hitch will be offset in gas savings fairly quick.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your installation method is similar to the one I want to attempt for the Curt Class 2 I need for my bike rack (Model #12169). Did you need to disengage the exhaust support rings using your method? YouTube video I watched showed that being done. But, just wondering if that makes it easier vs a requirement for the installation. Thanks!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Installed mine this am. Definitely have to lower exhaust for access. Was not able to wrangle the hitch into place alone. Was working on the ground. Only needed extra hand to pry bumper out and ease hitch into place. Loosely install bolt thru center support and rest of install was easy. My hitch hangs a little lower than 383's. The hitch cap would make a great compliment

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do any of you guys have Touring models? I'm just curious how this hitch (well, any hitch I suppose) interferes with the hands-free power tailgate sensor. Some say that it still works even with the hitch installed, while others say that you need to move the sensor to the left or right. Is that even possible?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I just checked the mounting instructions that came with the Curt #13397 hitch. The instructions do not mention relocating the “hands free” sensor so I’m just guessing the Curt hitch will not interfere.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
164 Posts
I Used tin snips and made 2 parallel cuts about 3” long each and 3.5” apart, iirc. After making the 2 parallel cuts, I just folded the piece up, didn’t actually remove it. Regarding that piece of fiber sound insulation, I made several small cuts, trial fitting after each cut, until it cleared/fit. Trimming is the easy part, trust me.

I’m not quite as strong as I once was (pushing 70).....an extra set of hands would have really helped. I used a floor jack on one end of the hitch while bolting up the other end. I also loosely bolted up the center of the hitch before bolting up the ends.....that helped a lot.

I’m very pleased with the end result. I have a small utility trailer that I stand on it’s end and store out of the weather in the garage.....handy as a pocket on a shirt.

View attachment 126575
Nice trailer and a very innovative way of storing it. I had a Kendon motorcycle trailer for several years that was designed to store in a similar way as it had some casters that allowed it to be rolled once stood up.

Like others here I may have had my last pickup thanks to the CR-V and a small trailer.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The Curt hitch is completely hidden by the facia, except for the center receiver. With the Drawtite hitch, The entire crossbar and center receiver are all exposed (not hidden by the facia). It takes 30 seconds to make 2 cuts in the facia with tin snips and fold the plastic up and out of sight. Once the Curt hitch is installed, it looks factory, out of sight, no crossbar showing below the facia.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Nice trailer and a very innovative way of storing it. I had a Kendon motorcycle trailer for several years that was designed to store in a similar way as it had some casters that allowed it to be rolled once stood up.

Like others here I may have had my last pickup thanks to the CR-V and a small trailer.
That's wild.......I just sold a Kendon Big Bike Standup trailer and 3 bikes a couple of weeks ago. Had the Kendon 13 years......being able to stand it up in the garage, out of the weather, it still looked almost new.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Vintage car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Bumper

My latest trailer.......Harbor Freight 4X8 that folds to 4X4, stands up and rolls on casters for easy storage. Add a piece of plywood deck and it's done.

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Machine

Vehicle Transport Trailer Wheel Chassis

1 - 19 of 19 Posts