Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm interested in putting a class III hitch on my 2010 CRV and I'm trying to decide on which one to go with. I've seen many that to me just don't look very nice because of the design of the hitch. Many seem to sit very low and have the main bars on a big angle up to the receiver.

I've seen the Curt hitch online and on cars in person and it looks very nice and clean. Do any of you have or know much about Curt hitches? I never really heard of them until I started looking at what was out there for my car. Of course, now I feel like I see a fair amount of them on the road.

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
159 Posts
I also installed a Curt Class III on my '13. VERY easy, looks great, quality product. Check eTrailer. They're good people.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Santa came early this year! My wife decided to get me the hitch for Christmas and I don't think she had a clue just how bulky a hitch really was. This isn't something that will fit under the tree (especially with all of our kids' gifts!) so she's giving me my gift early. It came a few days ago and I'm hoping to put it on one night this week. I'll probably spray some undercoating on the undercarriage back there as well to hopefully deaden at least SOME of the road noise. I also got the Curt wiring kit which I'm happy to say is SIMPLE to install! It plugs right into the harness behind the side panel and that's it! No splicing or leads to run from the battery, etc. I used a U-Haul kit on our old Saturn Vue and it was much more invasive and time consuming. I'm really glad this kit (and car) are so much more accommodating! Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm looking forward to using my new hitch!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm interested in getting a Curt Hitch from U-Haul in Kingston. I can't seem to find any pictures of this hitch on a Honda CRV. Anyone have pictures of the hitch on their vehicle? These hitches seem to be much cheaper than Hidden Hitch. If it looks good I'm going to get one. I just bought my used Honda CR 2011 and so far I love it. Now just to get it outfitted for towing behind my R.V. and get a hitch put on then I headed South.
Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now that looks nice and neat. If that is the same as the U-Haul one I'm sold.
Thanks I might even go online and order it right now. I'd love to see yours. Some of the ones I've seen seem to hang lower and big round bulky looking things.
Thanks for the quick reply, I just discovered this site this morning and joined up. If this forum helps with problems like my RV forum, I'm set.
Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would make sure which one U-Haul is selling. I think they usually sell Hidden Hitch units but I could be wrong. Aside from the cleaner look of the Curt, it got great reviews and it's also made in the USA which I'm all for. I got mine as a gift but it was ordered from Amazon for around $140 I believe (give or take). I also got the wiring kit from Curt which just plugs right in at the back of the car...no lead wire to run from the battery or splicing in the taillights, etc. As soon as I get a little time, the whole installation of hitch and wiring should be very simple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Joanne, if you want tow the vehicle, check out the CRV user manual. In my other post, I assumed you intended to tow with it!

Phil C

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm planning on doing both. First off I'm getting the hitch on the back to just take my bike rack. I've got that lined up for Monday at U-Haul. $208.95 installed which I think is good. $159.95 Cdn. and only 25.00 for the install if you order the hitch online. The next thing I'm going to do is get a tow bar and base plate put on the car so I can tow behind my RV. I've pretty well decided on the Alpha Blue Ox and Base Plate. I was trying to see if others have them and hear what they have to say. I'm new to this website and maybe I should have started a new Thread. I didn't even see your posting till I was poking around in here this morning. I was trying to find out how to post a picture so when I get my hitch on I'll put it on here for others to see.
Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario
2011 CR-V EX-L

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the rear hook, make sure they wire up all 13 pins. That's assuming you chaps over the pond have the 13 pin sockets that we do. My last CRV, I insisted on a 13 pin socket, which they fitted, and it worked for my garden trailer. Came to the Van, all set for a trip and Lo! It came to pass that the fridge didn't work. Honda wanted another £xxx to sell me a long wire and 6 (six) hours to fit it. In the end, they paid for a local hitch man to complete the job.

Phil

·
Registered
11 Posts
Phil if you are talking about wiring, I'm not getting any wiring done. It's only for a bike rack at the moment and there is no need for it. Honda has a lovely plug and play already on the side wall in behind the plastic panel and when it comes time for me to want the wiring I'll buy the 45.00 plug and play and put it in myself. It's not a big job from what I see in the video on U Tube. I think I have that 7 pin on the back of my RV to hook up the lights on the Honda for when I get it rigged up to tow behind the RV. I don't see any reason to have that same kind for the back when the only thing I would ever pull would be a really light weight brush trailer and that's even iffy at this point. I don't mean to be stupid but why would I need a seven pin hook up for a bike rack again?
Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario
2011 Honda CR-V ex-L

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curt Hitch on a 2010 CRV

Just got my curt hitch and bolt holes do not even close to lining up. I will have to spread it to get it to fit...should of been a 10 minute install...well turning into a headache.

I have 1 broken weld nut..what options do I have to to fix it? Anyone deal with a broken weld nut?

Thank you,
Geo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts