Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had another go at a custom grill for my V, not being satisfied with the last attempt. This one turned out awesome I think. I started out with a 6" x 36" sheet of Diamond Extreme Aluminum and then began the process of cutting it to fit around the 'H' and then along the lines I wanted it to run. Once cut, I then bent by hand the upper portion to lay flat against the top of the grill plastic/molding. Then came a few layers of black satin paint (front and back) and then even more coats of black plasti-dip for the texture, color and durability I wanted. I also had to paint the plastic grill where I didn't want it showing through the diamond grill. It's held on by the zip-ties and also the 'H' that inserts through the grill and held with screws on the back. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think ;)

Plastic and diamond grills before mounting:

All ready to be installed:

Hood open (note, I ended up painting even more of the plastic grill to hide the white showing through):

Hood closed:

And for some daylight pics:

And for fun, my two toned (Chrome and Plasti-dip) Emblems (wife didn't like fully blacked out chrome... note the V is still black :p)

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Nice job on the grill. Personal taste is that I'd like it a lot better without badges and logos. At least you got rid of the dealer sticker! ;-)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice job, although I think your front end would look better without the bug deflector.
Another poster suggested I should dip the deflector white if I want to keep it. I might give that a try since I do think white would look better.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Nice job on the grill. Personal taste is that I'd like it a lot better without badges and logos.
I disagree. Looks soooo amateur without badges.

Mike, I love it. Not sure what it would look like on my black V, but you did an awesome job!

I agree you should plasti paint your bug shield white, to view the grill better.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Grill looks great. Like it quite a bit. As someone mentioned the bug shield takes away from it a bit. I think because to me it's seems so big that it's what I notice first on an otherwise very nice front-end. So perhaps dipping it white like you said or see if they make a smaller one which is why I put on the OEM one on my '13 as it's quite small but does a good job at keeping the stone chips and even bugs away.

Keep up the experimenting. I'm digging it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grill looks great. Like it quite a bit. As someone mentioned the bug shield takes away from it a bit. I think because to me it's seems so big that it's what I notice first on an otherwise very nice front-end. So perhaps dipping it white like you said or see if they make a smaller one which is why I put on the OEM one on my '13 as it's quite small but does a good job at keeping the stone chips and even bugs away.

Keep up the experimenting. I'm digging it.
The deflector is OEM, but isn't as low profile as the 2012+ deflector. I hope to dip it white in the next day or two and will post back with pics.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Do they make that OEM one in clear? Otherwise it will be interesting to see it dipped in white.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never seen another tint for the deflector. There might be after market ones though, but I don't want to replace it at this point.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The deflector is OEM, but isn't as low profile as the 2012+ deflector. I hope to dip it white in the next day or two and will post back with pics.
You might have some trouble going from black to white, should likely use a can of grey to base it.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I disagree. Looks soooo amateur without badges.
Get the H out of here, man! ;-) It's just a difference in taste. Whatever rocks your ride is fine by me. I love the look of the grille itself, just hate the big H. It's gone on mine, along with the rear badges. I like simple elegance and if wearing somebody's logo, I expect to be compensated for advertising, like THAT would ever happen. 35 years ago, I used to use a seam ripper to take the Oshkosh badges off my 2 year old's overalls.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Your crazy dude.... ;o)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Logos/emblems don't bother me, so to each his/her own ;) I figure the shape and design of the car is as much an icon that most onlookers would recognize the make/model with or without them :p

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Logos/emblems don't bother me, so to each his/her own ;) I figure the shape and design of the car is as much an icon that most onlookers would recognize the make/model with or without them :p
Oddly enough, a lot of people had no idea what my Honda del Sol was, or who made it!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Huh, in the US, the Del Sol is labeled as a Civic, not CR-X. Could they not see the Honda 'H'? Lol

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I had one guy ask me if it was a Saturn because of the red logo

And yes, it was a Civic, with a CRX sticker.....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Fun fact... Your car can actually be towed away by parking enforcement and police, if your car is completely debadged. Reason being, it is completely unidentifiable, and could be a different car using your legit plates.

And I know, someone is going to say "What about the VIN number?!" and this is the obvious identification method that should be used. But we all know what law enforcement individuals "should" be doing, isn't always what happens.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts