Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with no storage area under the rear deck, I took my hack saw and cut off the box below the lid of the rear storage area where the fix a flat kit is stored. Now I have a place to keep the wheel lock key, other stuff.

Passing it along.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did this, too. Seems weird that Honda would waste this space. I wonder if there's a reason, such as this wild guess: maybe related to heat dissipation from the hybrid battery in front of this space?

So, with no storage area under the rear deck, I took my hack saw and cut off the box below the lid of the rear storage area where the fix a flat kit is stored. Now I have a place to keep the wheel lock key, other stuff.

Passing it along.

·
Registered
CR-V Hybrid - Elegance (EX in US)
49 Posts

Passing it along.
Please, can you post a picture? Thank you!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did this, too. Seems weird that Honda would waste this space. I wonder if there's a reason, such as this wild guess: maybe related to heat dissipation from the hybrid battery in front of this space?
I don't think so. There's a cooling tube from the right rear door to the battery. My guess is that they didn't want the flat repair kit to bounce around. The empty box attached to the cover just filled up the space. I put a first aid kit in there, an extra quart of oil, wheel lock key.

·
Banned
2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring
54 Posts
Could someone who's done this mod post a photo?

Reactions: rocky

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
My guess is that they didn't want the flat repair kit to bounce around. The empty box attached to the cover just filled up the space.
Knowing Honda, this is exactly why.

Normally, they would use a custom made hard foam holder for the jack, special fuel funnel, etc. that integrates nicely with a compact spare (as they did in the Accords, which is elegant and cost effective). But my guess is with a battery that needs a cooling pipe to manage it's thermal qualities... Honda would avoid the use of a foam insert in their hybrids.

Personally, I'm not sure I would cut out the spacer that some others have done. It may in fact help support the integrity of the cargo floor. I have not personally inspected one though.. so I am just speculating.... but Honda rarely does anything in their designs without a reason. That said... Honda also rarely explains their reasons to owners... unless it is critical for the owners to know something and not tamper with something. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also noticed what looks like wasted space on my Touring Hybrid. I might cut a hole on one side to also use for storage of first aid kit, wheel lock keys and other small items as listed by others. Please note that the repair kit is held in place by a strap.
Car Vehicle Vehicle door Technology Electronics
Automotive exterior Wall Vehicle door Bumper Auto part
Vehicle Car Mid-size car

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
Thank you twoplanekid for posting the pictures. No currently owning a Hybrid CR-V, I wasn't even sure the size of the area being discussed. It seems smaller than what I expedited. But I understand the desire to use that space for small things...that might roll around or rattle, if not wrapped well.

·
Banned
2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring
54 Posts
Personally, I'm not sure I would cut out the spacer that some others have done. It may in fact help support the integrity of the cargo floor. I have not personally inspected one though.. so I am just speculating.... but Honda rarely does anything in their designs without a reason. That said... Honda also rarely explains their reasons to owners... unless it is critical for the owners to know something and not tamper with something. :)
I have a hybrid CR-V & I agree. I think there's some wasted space there & maybe the "box" could be clipped on to allow a little "small item" storage, but I'm not chopping the box. It will be interesting to see if the 2021 has a different design. Honda's been known to do things like that, too.

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
I also noticed what looks like wasted space on my Touring Hybrid. I might cut a hole on one side to also use for storage of first aid kit, wheel lock keys and other small items as listed by others. Please note that the repair kit is held in place by a strap. View attachment 138483 View attachment 138484 View attachment 138485
Having seen a photo of it (thanks for that).. I am inclined to think Honda may have done this as a noise or vibration baffle. It could also provide some form of structural integrity as per my earlier comment as well.

Generally speaking..... Honda has a reason for everything they do or do not do with their vehicle designs... so I generally approach all questions beginning with the approach of "why did they do that?" and then let my engineering mind think through possible reasons and then test them.

So.. if you do decide to modify it, I would be mindful of the above as it may be relevant.

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
I have a hybrid CR-V & I agree. I think there's some wasted space there & maybe the "box" could be clipped on to allow a little "small item" storage, but I'm not chopping the box. It will be interesting to see if the 2021 has a different design. Honda's been known to do things like that, too.
Sounds like a great opportunity for aftermarket product producers to make an insert storage box for CRV hybrids. :)

Since the vehicle will have a pretty good volume run rate.. there will be enough in the field to attract some entrepreneurs with the ability to make vacuum molded ABS inserts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Upon further examination, it looks as if there was a late change of plans. A system may have been revised to make the storage bin under the trunk surface plate non removeable at the last moment. They heat gunned insert clips because the bin was not always remaining attached as envisioned? I may cut into one side near the top to make it useful for a little bit of storage as there is none now.
Technology Electronic device Metal
Bumper Automotive exterior Insect

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
Upon further examination, it looks as if there was a late change of plans. A system may have been revised to make the storage bin under the trunk surface plate non removeable at the last moment. They heat gunned insert clips because the bin was not always remaining attached as envisioned? I may cut into one side near the top to make it useful for a little bit of storage as there is none now. View attachment 138555 View attachment 138556

Sounds like Honda predicted owners moves and moved first. :p

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys, too much thought going into this.
Doesn't change the structural integrity of the floor. The internal box just is suspended not resting on anything. Given there's no other rear storage, in my opinion, it's a great solution; I've put in a spare quart of oil, wheel lock kit, car drying towel for final drying at a car wash, two bungee cords.

My question is what is the part of the floor to the left of this box that has an indent for something to clip into it. Nothing came with the car, dealer had no idea, same for the parts department. A mystery. As a poster on this thread has said, Honda has a reason for the design, but what is it?

·
Banned
2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring
54 Posts
My question is what is the part of the floor to the left of this box that has an indent for something to clip into it. Nothing came with the car, dealer had no idea, same for the parts department. A mystery. As a poster on this thread has said, Honda has a reason for the design, but what is it?
I've wondered about that since Day 1. A second funnel? A special wrench for the flux capacitor?

After revisiting this thread & pulling the "box" again today -- I was hoping there'd be enough space down by the Fix-A-Flat to stow a Gooloo 18000 mA battery charger -- I'm considering cutting those four "spot welded" pins & maybe replacing them with some sort of clamp or clip. Heck, I think those plastic clip pins that Honda uses on wheel well liners might work...

Reactions: gohlkus

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've wondered about that since Day 1. A second funnel? A special wrench for the flux capacitor?

After revisiting this thread & pulling the "box" again today -- I was hoping there'd be enough space down by the Fix-A-Flat to stow a Gooloo 18000 mA battery charger -- I'm considering cutting those four "spot welded" pins & maybe replacing them with some sort of clamp or clip. Heck, I think those plastic clip pins that Honda uses on wheel well liners might work...
Likely for the flux capacitor!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Upon further examination, it looks as if there was a late change of plans. A system may have been revised to make the storage bin under the trunk surface plate non removeable at the last moment. They heat gunned insert clips because the bin was not always remaining attached as envisioned? I may cut into one side near the top to make it useful for a little bit of storage as there is none now. View attachment 138555 View attachment 138556
Or just use a hacksaw and cut off the box like I did, it has no use. Then you can put whatever you want in the storage well. I did it. I have first aid kit, drying towel and a few other goodies. I also have a Weathertech matt back there, all works well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That was the only thing on this car that seemed like a design flaw, and surprising too that any space would be wasted. I'm thinking that with a rigid cargo floor mat, the box could be completely removed, if I don't go that route I'm going to cut it also.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts