Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 CRV. I am looking for OEM CV axles. Can anyone tell me how to know if an axle is an OEM or one of those China made junk ones? Are there numbers or stampings, or some physical look that distinguishes an OEM axle? I have talked with a couple salvage yards but they don't know how to tell the difference. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,201 Posts
Great question. I took a look at new shafts on Rockauto ($37 and up), and not a single brand name that I know.
Even known brands are making parts in China.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. After much research and phone calls I came across a company in Charlotte NC called Axles Unlimited. Very nice, helpful, and knowledgeable folks. They told me what I pretty much already knew. I have to use OEM axles to eliminate the vibration on acceleration in my 2000 CRV. They are axle rebuilders. They acquire OEM used axles and rebuild them. They told me vibration after CV axle replacement with China axles are a huge problem on CRV's. I ordered two rebuilt axles from them. When I replace them I will let everyone know how it turned out. $300 each plus shipping. And there is a $70 core charge also if you don't have OEM axles to send back, which I don't. I bought the car in March with 152000 Miles on it. Left axle had been replaced, right was OEM and failing. Not knowing any better, I went to Advance and bought new axles(China) and replaced them. Unfortunately, I threw the old ones away in scrap metal because I did not know about how important OEM axles are on Hondas. Point of this is, never throw away OEM Honda CV axles. They are valuable. Have them rebuilt by a reputable rebuilder. Rebuilds from Honda are $550 plus core charge. New from Honda $750.
Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks so much for this. I just acquired a 1998 LX recently and I think I have this problem too. Well, the whole car just has lots of "character"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts