Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one big disappointment for me with this car is the gear change which is very 'agricultural,
reminds me of a tractor or a Harley'

I miss the silky smooth Audi, Volvo etc that I've been used to. Fast change, forget it unless you want to grind the gears.

My first motorcycle in 1965 was a bit like like that 50 years ago

About time Honda got it sorted don't you think

Honda dealer says that's just the way they are ??

·
Everything in Moderation
8,201 Posts
Does your diesel have the same trans as other Hondas? 'Cause we have always loved our Hondas' shift accuracy. :love:

If you haven't done a Drain & Fill of your Honda's transmission fluid in the past 30K miles, DO IT. You will be surprised at the results.

Use either genuine Honda MTF, or GM (Vauxhall?) factory MTF, as the syncros need a particular coefficient of friction.

PS: Our only Audi was a '76 Fox (VW Passat) and that car's shifter defined the term RUBBERY, LOL.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I agree with Carbuff2. I have seen many Honda that have been mistakenly filled with Gear oil & it shifts hard. Use Honda MTF fluid or similar as what Carbuff2 mentioned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, it looks like the previous owner didn't use Honda for servicing.
Chances are you guys are right, I'll get the fluid changed and let you know how I get on

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I went along to my Honda dealer who informed me that the fluid is good for 70k miles and it was unlikely that the fluid had been changed previously, now only 49k miles.
Surprise, on that basis he said he didn't want to sell me the fluid as it would be a waste of money.
He checked with the service manager who commented 'they are all a bit stiff don't worry about it, change gear slower
(y) That's it then, If you want a crv expect this

·
Everything in Moderation
8,201 Posts
That's it then, If you want a crv expect this
I checked our USA '06's Service Schedule, indeed it specifies a 90K mile or 6 year interval for MTF, whichever comes first. I can tell you, however, that a 30K cycle results in a noticeable improvement in shift quality each time!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting, have you any idea what Honda's comments on this one

It doesn't seem logical that they would not want to encourage the early change, at the end of the day they are going to make more money and make customers happier

?i

·
Everything in Moderation
8,201 Posts
In North America, Honda garnered criticism for maintenance costs. This was back when they recommended valve lash checks every 6k miles.

So, they went the other way in NA. In NA, Gen1 valve checks were recommended every 100k miles, and only 30k miles in the ROW. And guess what? Honda replaced many cylinder heads when the valves burned up early.

So we are just skeptical about some of honda’s recommendations. Are they engineer or marketing?

Change the MTF!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got the oil replaced in the transmission and I have to say it has improved the gear change
to being a lot smoother, never a fast change but not 'gritty' now,
What a job getting into the geabox, took about one and a half hours to do the job, guy removed the reversing switch eventually to get the new oil in, fed a flexable tube from the bottle of oil to the box making sure the bottle had a hole in the top to let air out.

Total cost £30 ( 30 bucks?)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
We're glad that it had made a difference on the shifting. It'll also help to prolong the life of the synchros. How was the oil that came out?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,201 Posts
Wow, Glad we were right for once (don't tell my wife!) :)

On our '06 manual, the fill & drain bolts are quite accessible (they have 3/8s square female fittings).

A manual pump (that fits into the MTF fluid bottles) pumps it right into the fill hole.

Because you cannot get all the old MTF out, it might be best to change it again. You won't see a BIG difference in shift action, but you will be closer to normal.

PS:
Total cost £30 ( 30 bucks?)
You mean 30 quid, don't you? ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your comments all.

I believe the earlier cars have a different place for filling,
I'm happy that we got all the old oil out through the drain plug
We have some readers from across the pond, that's why I said about 30 bucks as pounds
would mean nothing to those guys

Ps. Just fitted a Tuning box, not the really expensive ones, makes a good improvement to 'pulling power' quicker but not outstanding, without increasing the fuel consumption

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oil that came out was clean and thinner than I expected, I remember only the old sae 120 of years ago

·
Everything in Moderation
8,201 Posts
Oil that came out was clean and thinner than I expected, I remember only the old sae 120 of years ago
Even in the 1980s, Honda recommended straight engine oil to be used in the transmissions. Other makers recommended hydraulic oils.

Don't forget, the weight numbers of engine oil and transmission oils are based on different tests. So, a 120 weight transmission oil would be around 30 - 40 weight engine oil.

But, it's the additives that make it 'special' for transmissions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Digressing somewhat to fuel consumption, a topic we commented on previously
I have a bit of a radical theory
Fact: our 2.2ltr. diesels get diesels get around 38mpg Yours 20mpg average.
Let's consider fuel cost UK £1.30 per ltr. You pay .77 USD per ltr. Approx half what we pay.
So fuel costs equal each other out overall, is that govenments playing with sales and revenue

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I agree with Carbuff2. These manual tranny oil are not EP oil. The additive package makes the difference. I agree with you about the price & the fuel economy of Diesel & Gas engine.

·
Administrator
3,353 Posts
Glad you got sn improvement. I don’t think I’ve ever read a Honda review without reading how “precise” and “easy” the manual gearbox is.
Your mechanic might wNt to invest in an oil pump like mentioned above or this type.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,201 Posts
A mechanic would be wise to invest in a powered extractor, with a large capacity for old fluids. An example:

The shadetree solution is one like this, you pump the fluid directly out of a quart or litre bottle, into a trans or engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts