Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided on buying a crv based on its superior reliability record and practicality. I have just bought a new 2015 lx. I got a great deal on it, but it seems to have a lot of vibration at idle and at highway speeds. I am now apprehensive on the new cvt trans and engine that Honda used for this model year. Is there anyone that can elaborate on the durability/design of these transmissions. I am thinking of trading it in for a 2014 with an auto 5 speed and have a deal worked out where I wouldn't be upside down. Do the 2014s have any issues I should be aware of?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Honda's Earth Dreams engine and CVT in the 2015 CR-V is the same as in the Accord since the 2013 model year. The Civic also has a similar CVT in use for more years. Both the Accord and Civic have performed as designed with reported owner satisifaction. The CVT transmissions are reliable and provide greatly improved economy.

My 2015 CV-R is now 10 and 1/2 months old and near 8,000 miles and performs without issues. Gas mileage is 33-36 mpg consistently. I can only report my personal experiences. I hope your problems can be addressed soon and you too can be happy with your new car purchase.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the crv otherwise. Everything about it. I'm ok If it is design characteristic. Overall my last honda was a great car. ( 03 civic si ) but even then there was no pronounced vibration so it alarmed me. Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I get a lot of vibration at idle as well. They drop the idle speed which cause the vibration but help with lower idle emissions. Other than that I'm very happy with my CR-V and I'm sure this is a simple fix.
:D Good one. Honda would love to hear from you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had my 2015 EX for a year now, 8,500mi and yes I do have the vibration at idle but everything else is great. I recently heard that dealers are servicing the 2015's with a software update but it only corrects, as Honda calls it (Drive Mode #3) 1800-2200 RPM 40-50mph vibration. I'm dying to know if the 2016's have this corrected? Honda says the vibration doesn't pose any safety threat, but yet they are still in court battles over people getting sick because of it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had my 2015 EX for a year now, 8,500mi and yes I do have the vibration at idle but everything else is great. I recently heard that dealers are servicing the 2015's with a software update but it only corrects, as Honda calls it (Drive Mode #3) 1800-2200 RPM 40-50mph vibration. I'm dying to know if the 2016's have this corrected? Honda says the vibration doesn't pose any safety threat, but yet they are still in court battles over people getting sick because of it?
I'll have to take a closer look on my 2015 CRV but I don't remember any vibration. I ride a Ducati Monster 1200s and vibration is the character trait of the V-Twin motor. I guess my mind is trained to ignore the vibrations

·
Registered
192 Posts
Since the 2016's have a drop in mileage I bet they fixed the vibration. Coming from rough idling or just obnoxious cars I generally don't care about the Magic CRV massager.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since the 2016's have a drop in mileage I bet they fixed the vibration. Coming from rough idling or just obnoxious cars I generally don't care about the Magic CRV massager.
Doubt it since I drove the 2016 Accord and it has the same vibration... but time will tell.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I decided on buying a crv based on its superior reliability record and practicality. I am thinking of trading it in for a 2014 with an auto 5 speed and have a deal worked out where I wouldn't be upside down. Do the 2014s have any issues I should be aware of?
All I can tell you is the 2014 models have the dreaded VTC rattle at startup, that is the reason we got rid of ours, was tired of dealing with Honda's promise that it was no longer an issue in the newer vehicles, we traded in our 2008 CR-V that suffered with the same VTC rattle only to have it appear again on the new CR-V. Honda was once one of the most reliable brands, not so much any longer, their quality has hit an all time low.

Bye, bye Honda.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I almost traded mine in for a rav, but they wouldnt give me the trade value I needed to not be upside down. I ended up trading it in for a Crv 14 with under 15 k miles with a 5 speed. Honda dealership worked with me. The ravs were nice as well. Cheers!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As far as the vct rattle goes, I've had it a month and hadn't noticed anything unusual with mine.is it something that takes time to develop? Has it proven to be harmful long term.

·
Registered
437 Posts
As far as the vct rattle goes, I've had it a month and hadn't noticed anything unusual with mine.is it something that takes time to develop? Has it proven to be harmful long term.
They don't all have the rattle , mine has never rattled. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
They don't all have the rattle , mine has never rattled. Enjoy your new ride.
Your's may not have the rattle but there are many others that do. There is an entire thread about it. So far I've only had the rattle 3 times and it doesn't bother me. I'm keeping this thing until the wheels far off.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Your's may not have the rattle but there are many others that do. There is an entire thread about it. So far I've only had the rattle 3 times and it doesn't bother me. I'm keeping this thing until the wheels far off.
I know there is an entire thread about this, my point was he doesn't need to be worried about it. Glad he got rid of the 15. And I will also be keeping my V till it won't go anymore.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Both my 2013 Accord and my wife's 2015 CRV have the same drivetrain which is one reason we bought the CRV.

Although everyone is concerned about horsepower it's really the engine's torque that accelerates the car and keeps it moving. Every piston engine has an RPM range where the maximum torque is achieved. Engineers try to make the RPM vs. torque curve as flat as possible to achieve the maximum torque over the greatest driving situations. In a geared transmission each gear ratio is designed to keep the engine in that torque sweet spot for the wheel speed for as long as possible during acceleration. Small displacement engines generally have a very narrow torque band and have traditionally have been mated to a multi speed transmission either manual or automatic. The driver would accelerate the engine RPM to the speed where the best torque is achieved and then shift to a higher gear ratio and accelerate the engine RPM again. The beauty of the CVT (continuously variable transmission) is that it has no gears and has an infinite number of ratios to keep the engine RPM in that torque sweet spot continuously during acceleration. The advantages are that the engine can run at the optimum RPM over a greater speed range while achieving better fuel economy. Because there are no individual gears to switch the transmission runs extremely smoothly. Also, the CVT has fewer parts to fail and is designed to be modular allowing repairs without having to remove the entire transmission.

My 2007 Honda Fit has a 1.5 liter engine that produces about 105 horsepower. The car is much smaller and lighter than either my Accord or CRV. It has a five speed automatic geared transmission and averages about 27 to 30 MPG in mixed city and freeway driving. Both my Accord and CRV are larger, heavier and have a 2.4 liter engine producing 180 horsepower and both get between 29 and 32 MPG. Thank you CVT.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Both my 2013 Accord and my wife's 2015 CRV have the same drivetrain which is one reason we bought the CRV.

Although everyone is concerned about horsepower it's really the engine's torque that accelerates the car and keeps it moving. Every piston engine has an RPM range where the maximum torque is achieved. Engineers try to make the RPM vs. torque curve as flat as possible to achieve the maximum torque over the greatest driving situations. In a geared transmission each gear ratio is designed to keep the engine in that torque sweet spot for the wheel speed for as long as possible during acceleration. Small displacement engines generally have a very narrow torque band and have traditionally have been mated to a multi speed transmission either manual or automatic. The driver would accelerate the engine RPM to the speed where the best torque is achieved and then shift to a higher gear ratio and accelerate the engine RPM again. The beauty of the CVT (continuously variable transmission) is that it has no gears and has an infinite number of ratios to keep the engine RPM in that torque sweet spot continuously during acceleration. The advantages are that the engine can run at the optimum RPM over a greater speed range while achieving better fuel economy. Because there are no individual gears to switch the transmission runs extremely smoothly. Also, the CVT has fewer parts to fail and is designed to be modular allowing repairs without having to remove the entire transmission.

My 2007 Honda Fit has a 1.5 liter engine that produces about 105 horsepower. The car is much smaller and lighter than either my Accord or CRV. It has a five speed automatic geared transmission and averages about 27 to 30 MPG in mixed city and freeway driving. Both my Accord and CRV are larger, heavier and have a 2.4 liter engine producing 180 horsepower and both get between 29 and 32 MPG. Thank you CVT.
Excellent post Flyboy! I agree 100%. I too like the CVT.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Excellent post Flyboy! I agree 100%. I too like the CVT.
Thanks, I forgot to mention that the Fit has a low torque engine and the transmission will down shift from fifth to fourth gear when on the freeway at 60MPH every time it has to up hill at an overpass when driving in cruise control. The new version has a slightly larger engine and a CVT transmission to solve that problem. Some manufactures are building six, seven and up to nine gear automatic transmissions to get better milage. Chrysler's 200 has anime speed and it shifts a lot between the gears in just normal driving.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thanks, I forgot to mention that the Fit has a low torque engine and the transmission will down shift from fifth to fourth gear when on the freeway at 60MPH every time it has to up hill at an overpass when driving in cruise control. The new version has a slightly larger engine and a CVT transmission to solve that problem. Some manufactures are building six, seven and up to nine gear automatic transmissions to get better milage. Chrysler's 200 has anime speed and it shifts a lot between the gears in just normal driving.
All of that constant shifting would drive be crazy. I really like the smoothness of the CVT. Oh, my mpg range is from 32 to 36 in mixed driving. I almost feel like I'm cheating the oil companies when I gas up! Not!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts