Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2017 crv has 33k on it now. Last oil change right before 30k and they recommended cvt fluid change every 30k. Seems really quick for that service. Only $85 or $90 but still don’t want to do it if not needed.
It’s driven 85% on the highway.
Thoughts on this? Anybody change it themselves and look at the fluid compared to new?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
58 Posts
Our 2017 crv has 33k on it now. Last oil change right before 30k and they recommended cvt fluid change every 30k. Seems really quick for that service. Only $85 or $90 but still don’t want to do it if not needed.
Thoughts on this? Anybody change it themselves and look at the fluid compared to new?

Thanks for the help
I believe the manual literally says not even to try it yourself because it is a cvt. I suppose you could login to the service manual website and see what the actual procedure is, but for 100 bucks, I would just have them do it.

On my Civic, the "proper" procedure was four drain and fills to avoid a flush. I think I spent 100 bucks just in fluids and did it myself.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

Thanks for the help
Never slack on transmission fluid changes no matter what. 30k is the maximum especially got first trans fluid change. The fastest killer of a transmission is people going "oh it's not needed" then they complain when transmission fails well before it should.

Doing a fluid change yourself if the manual says not to VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY.

If you dont do a fluid change when schedual says to, VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
751 Posts
Typically the CVT fluid will not need to be changed for ~60k miles. At least that's what I've seen as the manufacturer recommended interval for the CVT in the Accord. The best advice would be to change fluids per the Honda MM (Maintenance Minder) which will alert you when it's time to change the fluid. Every 30k (or twice as often as recommended) is what a dealer will tell you since they are in business to make money.

You can change it sooner than 60k if you want to spend extra money, or just want to listen to whatever the dealer tells you. Like 3,000 mile oil changes, it's fine to change fluid more often than recommended, just understand it's probably not necessary.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Never slack on transmission fluid changes no matter what. 30k is the maximum especially got first trans fluid change. The fastest killer of a transmission is people going "oh it's not needed" then they complain when transmission fails well before it should.

Nowhere have I ever seen in any printed Honda literature that changing a fluid yourself voids any kind of Honda warranty. Maybe if you got suckered into a non-Honda extended warranty they pull that kind of crap in order to deny coverage, but that's the only way your warning would make sense.

If you're interested in the DIY version of doing a CVT fluid change on the CR-V, there is a pretty good Youtube video posted: https://youtu.be/jYx5bXiBD3c

The process is pretty similar to most any Honda transmission fluid change, regardless of it being a MT, CVT, or Auto. Although I've not done a CVT fluid change, I'm pretty much a MT guy. I see no reason to "flush" the system, just a drain and fill, which I'm pretty sure that's all the dealer is going to do as well.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Not interested in doing it myself when it’s under $100.
Just wondering if 30k is really the correct interval. Seems way to frequent
If you go by the manufacturer recommended interval, your MM light will be on alerting you it's time to perform the service. Anything earlier than what's recommended is unnecessary, but if you feel you want to do it sooner, you're welcome to spend the money.

The video shows the CVT fluid price (from the dealer) to be $13/qt x 6 quarts + a few dollars for the crush washers (about $80) so $100 isn't terrible, it's just that if you wait to do the fluid change per the manufacturer recommended interval, you'll pay about half as much since you'd be doing the fluid change about half as often.

I've seen Honda CVT fluid sell for $7/quart so even if you do it yourself at the cheaper price, you'd be paying about $50 for the material + your time vs. spending an additional $50 for labor for the dealer to do it for it. IMO, not a bad value as long as they do the job correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Please stop spreading bad information. By law in the US, an auto manufacturer cannot void a warranty if your service or maintenance was done outside of a dealer, including by the owner. Obviously if they or a shop mess it up, yes, they can say the negligence caused the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
service manual website

I believe the manual literally says not even to try it yourself because it is a cvt. I suppose you could login to the service manual website and see what the actual procedure is, but for 100 bucks, I would just have them do it.

On my Civic, the "proper" procedure was four drain and fills to avoid a flush. I think I spent 100 bucks just in fluids and did it myself.
Are you saying that there is a Honda Service Manual website. If so, could you post the link?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only thing I could find regarding maintenance and warranty. The manual doesn't even have the CVT maintenance or information about it. So not sure where these comical statements are coming from.

The warranties in this booklet do not
cover:
• The failure of any part or accessory
due to:
- Abuse, misuse, accidental
damage, or acts of nature.
- Improper installation or
maintenance.
- A low fluid level or the use of
a fluid other than specified by
Honda.
- The installation of any part
that is not equal to the original
in quality of materials or
workmanship.
- Use of the vehicle in competition
or racing events.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you go by the manufacturer recommended interval, your MM light will be on alerting you it's time to perform the service. Anything earlier than what's recommended is unnecessary, but if you feel you want to do it sooner, you're welcome to spend the money.

The video shows the CVT fluid price (from the dealer) to be $13/qt x 6 quarts + a few dollars for the crush washers (about $80) so $100 isn't terrible, it's just that if you wait to do the fluid change per the manufacturer recommended interval, you'll pay about half as much since you'd be doing the fluid change about half as often.

I've seen Honda CVT fluid sell for $7/quart so even if you do it yourself at the cheaper price, you'd be paying about $50 for the material + your time vs. spending an additional $50 for labor for the dealer to do it for it. IMO, not a bad value as long as they do the job correctly.

Does the light look different than the oil change light?
Sounds like people don’t know what the recommended interval is...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Seriously, no one else on this thread knows this...

The first CVT change is programmed to occur around 15K (closest oil change to that mileage), all subsequent CVT changes should occur near 30K intervals.

Whoops, sorry, I did read it wrong (thanks sirwired below). This interval is indeed for the rear differential on AWD

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

Thanks for the help

What would it hurt to change tranny fluid at 33K?

The CRV CVT does operate at a higher fluid temp than typical auto trannies I've monitored on other vehicles I've owned. Not saying the CVTs higher operating temp is abnormal, it just operates at a higher temp. For example, our '09 RAV4 5 speed auto runs 165F-175F.....our CRV CVT runs 215F-230F. I have observed that the CVT runs hotter at highway speeds vs slow speed city driving.

Again, not saying anything is abnormal about the CVTs operating temp......but what would it hurt to change tranny fluid at 33K miles?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What would it hurt to change tranny fluid at 33K?

The CRV CVT does operate at a higher fluid temp than typical auto trannies I've monitored on other vehicles I've owned. Not saying the CVTs higher operating temp is abnormal, it just operates at a higher temp. For example, our '09 RAV4 5 speed auto runs 165F-175F.....our CRV CVT runs 215F-230F. I have observed that the CVT runs hotter at highway speeds vs slow speed city driving.

Again, not saying anything is abnormal about the CVTs operating temp......but what would it hurt to change tranny fluid at 33K miles?
Never said it would hurt anything. Why waste oil and money if it doesn’t need to be done at 30k intervals?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Please stop spreading bad information. By law in the US, an auto manufacturer cannot void a warranty if your service or maintenance was done outside of a dealer, including by the owner. Obviously if they or a shop mess it up, yes, they can say the negligence caused the issue.
It is not false information. Love ignorant lack of reading comprehension. If the matter has notation about "certified" regarding service then if you are not a technician and do the work, you void the warranty.

If you do not do maintenance when the vehicle or owners manual (whichever comes first) tells you to, you void the warranty.

Been in the industry my entire life. I know in great detail how these matters work. Stop trying to be a keyboard expert.

As for when to do it, if the MM or owners manual says anything about it then do it. If not, then dont.

If you do it yourself you must keep receipts and record mileage etc as to when it was done or they do not have to honor any warranty claim that could be effected by it.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Seriously, no one else on this thread knows this...

The first CVT change is programmed to occur around 15K (closest oil change to that mileage), all subsequent CVT changes should occur near 30K intervals.
No, that's the rear differential fluid in AWDs. I'm at over 30k myself and the MM has not called for CVTF yet, and I did not expect it to.

·
Registered
656 Posts

??

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is not false information. Love ignorant lack of reading comprehension. If the matter has notation about "certified" regarding service then if you are not a technician and do the work, you void the warranty.

If you do not do maintenance when the vehicle or owners manual (whichever comes first) tells you to, you void the warranty.

Been in the industry my entire life. I know in great detail how these matters work. Stop trying to be a keyboard expert.

As for when to do it, if the MM or owners manual says anything about it then do it. If not, then dont.

If you do it yourself you must keep receipts and record mileage etc as to when it was done or they do not have to honor any warranty claim that could be effected by it.

Nope. Nothing has to be certified. You just have to do it right. I could do every repair and every maintenance and it will never void the warranty.

And I said in my original post you must do it at the interval. But it doesn’t have to be done at Honda or by a certified mechanic. Just has to be done right.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Never said it would hurt anything. Why waste oil and money if it doesn’t need to be done at 30k intervals?

I never said you said, it would hurt anything.

In your OP you asked for thoughts, no? I gave you my thoughts and facts because I observe/monitor tranny fluid temps. Preventative replacement of old fluids for new is a waste of oil and money? Really? You said money (<$100) was no object, I'm just saying why not change it, have it changed,.........after all, my thoughts/opinion is, it won't hurt anything?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts