Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I do my own maintenance, and can't seem to find out much in the way of Service Manuals yet, does anyone know how to check (with underside pictures, please) the CVT Fluid? I'd really like to know how to do this procedure. Before I pay someone at the local Honda shop to put this thing on the rack, and show me how to do it, I was hoping someone here (who is also anal about self checking things) could explain how it's done.
Thanks!

2017 CR-V Touring
1.5 Turbo 4 Cylinder Engine
CVT Transmission
Purchased on 5/16/2017
Current Mileage: 1075

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If you want access to the service manuals, go to techinfo.honda.com, pay them $10 for a day, and pull up whatever pages you feel you might need. Hit the "Print" button, and use a .pdf writer to print them to your hard drive.

But, to answer your question, pull the belly pan, set a drain pan underneath, make the car level (setting it back down on the ground is fine), let the car run for a bit to get the fluid to operating temp, run through each of the gears, pausing for a few seconds in each gear, pull the check bolt about half-way up the side, and add fluid until what goes in equals what comes out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I generally do my own maintenance. However, when my wife's last Civic hit 30k miles, I had the dealer change the CVT fluid. It was something like $90, and the fluid was expensive enough that it really wasn't saving me a significant amount to do it myself. If I recall, the fluid alone was $60-70 range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is my video showing how to change the CVT fluid. From this video, you could learn how to use the "Check bolt" to make sure that your fluid is full. However, the best method would be to change the fluid at certain intervals. These are really not designed to check fluid levels only, meaning that the check bolt is really there to make sure you fill to the proper level when changing the fluid. It is not a simple process like the old dipstick method. If the fluid is changed and filled properly, it doesn't need to be checked in between changes. Well, it won't let me post my video because my post count is too low? I don't understand some things about this website. Anyway, you can find the video by looking at my blog posts on this channel (if they were allowed to be posted) or you can search me on YouTube at "Paul Naylor" and find my CR-V playlist of maintenance videos, which includes this CVT change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts