Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 CVT fluid change not going good.
I thought there would be good info on YouTube or forums but they are all missing something

what I did piecing the accord videos with the CRV ones is as follows

1) Loosened up small oil check bolt. Alot came out , mine has never been changed. I’m thinking it was overfilled from factory.
2) Removed drain plug
3) cleaned drain plug
4) installed drain plug with new crush gasket
5) put 4 qts fluid in fill port
6) shifted through all the gears 5 seconds each one
7) used the last quart , almost off of it
8) opened up oil check bolt and some oil comes out initially but then stops immediately

Seems like it needs more cuz the fluid level doesn’t continually run out, I’m I missing anything?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
First, do you have 2WD or AWD? 2WD uses approx 3.9 U.S. qt and AWD is 4.5 US qt. By any chance did you measure how much fluid drained out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s why there’s not good info out there . Mines a AWD. It doesn’t matter what comes out it has a overflow hole. Mines close to 5 qts and it not coming out the hole as a steady stream as I would of expected.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
A transmission is not like your engine, the volumn that drains out is not an exact number. 5 quarts may have drained. There is approx. 8 qt of fluid in the transmission. The important part is that you properly refill it. It does help to make a note as to how much drained out. If you PM me with your email I will send you a TSB for checking and changing the CVT fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A transmission is not like your engine, the volumn that drains out is not an exact number. 5 quarts may have drained. There is approx. 8 qt of fluid in the transmission. The important part is that you properly refill it. It does help to make a note as to how much drained out. If you PM me with your email I will send you a TSB for checking and changing the CVT fluid.
Thanks , I sent you message

·
Registered
36 Posts
You didn’t mention, but make sure the vehicle is level. This is critical for getting the proper fluid level via the check bolt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2016 CR-V with a CVT transmission was a complete surprise or even shock when I discovered that one needs to change approximately every 25,000 miles. I have also been surprised upon finding information and getting solid info on the procedure etc. No more Helms manuals, I had one got Gen II and have one from my 2008 and 2010 Gen III. Don't think they had a CVT transmission at that time. So, I drained the transmission oil, replaced with 4 qts of the proper oil, oil flowed from the fill plug. After 20,000, a noise developed and within 10 miles that noise was the death cry of the transmission. $2,950 for a replacement. Still looking for a real good service manual, suggestions. T.Y.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
No warranty????

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 CVT fluid change not going good.
I thought there would be good info on YouTube or forums but they are all missing something

what I did piecing the accord videos with the CRV ones is as follows

1) Loosened up small oil check bolt. Alot came out , mine has never been changed. I’m thinking it was overfilled from factory.
2) Removed drain plug
3) cleaned drain plug
4) installed drain plug with new crush gasket
5) put 4 qts fluid in fill port
6) shifted through all the gears 5 seconds each one
7) used the last quart , almost off of it
8) opened up oil check bolt and some oil comes out initially but then stops immediately

Seems like it needs more cuz the fluid level doesn’t continually run out, I’m I missing anything?
Where is the check bolt, I did not see one on my 2016 CR-V. Where is it in relation to the drain plug ?

·
Registered
436 Posts

Top Right Side is level check bolt and Bottom Left is drain -- image is from a Civic but same orientation

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm thinking the hardest part is making sure the vehicle is level, presuming it's lifted to allow more room (for rotund fellers) to get underneath.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts