Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you actually have your cvt shift like a conventional transmission? I’ll try to make a long story short. 16 months ago sunroof fails they replaced everything, 6 months later leaks the adjust glass, 2 days ago leaked again so I went to the dealer today and they adjusted it again. Anyways I complained about oil smelling like fuel. I asked advisor if there is an issue with fuel going into oil. He says haven’t heard about any issues. I said send over the manager. She comes and says well..... they are trying to fit it. I said is engine going to get damaged? She wouldn’t answer. I said is Honda guaranteeing that I won’t have any issue? She said we will change your oil free and we will get back to you when we have a solution to the oil dillusion. Anyways after waiting for 2 hours for an oil change I leave the dealership with 15lbs of extra air in every tire and the cvt shifting like a regular transmission for the 1st time in almost 2 years. It felt nice but I’ve been driving this suv for almost 2 years and never had it shift like that. Not sure what to think.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
How many of you actually have your cvt shift like a conventional transmission? I’ll try to make a long story short. 16 months ago sunroof fails they replaced everything, 6 months later leaks the adjust glass, 2 days ago leaked again so I went to the dealer today and they adjusted it again. Anyways I complained about oil smelling like fuel. I asked advisor if there is an issue with fuel going into oil. He says haven’t heard about any issues. I said send over the manager. She comes and says well..... they are trying to fit it. I said is engine going to get damaged? She wouldn’t answer. I said is Honda guaranteeing that I won’t have any issue? She said we will change your oil free and we will get back to you when we have a solution to the oil dillusion. Anyways after waiting for 2 hours for an oil change I leave the dealership with 15lbs of extra air in every tire and the cvt shifting like a regular transmission for the 1st time in almost 2 years. It felt nice but I’ve been driving this suv for almost 2 years and never had it shift like that. Not sure what to think.
It would help if you mentioned what year and what model you have .... also what part of the country you reside
My 2017 CRV Touring does not shift like a regular trans. it's very smooth

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
+1.......smooth as silk. There is no “traditional/regular shifting”.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, 2017 ex-l, mine was also smooth for the 1st 24k miles, and it’s still smooth it now really acts like a old school tranny, rpms dropping from 5500 rpms down to 4000 rpms and back up. I like it, I just can’t understand why unless they changed something at the dealer during an oil change. I did make a big stink

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
"its still smooth......it now acts like a old school tranny" Is that not contradictory?:confused2: "I (you) like it........(but) I did make a big stink" (about liking it?:confused2:)...........again, contradictory?:confused2:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The biggest thing I would do right now is get your CVT fluid changed. I bet it will smooth out quite a bit.

It should only be about $100 to do as it's as basic as an oil change with more expensive fluid. You are well within the mileage range for a fluid change.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
"its still smooth......it now acts like a old school tranny" Is that not contradictory?:confused2: "I (you) like it........(but) I did make a big stink" (about liking it?:confused2:)...........again, contradictory?:confused2:
This place is getting wackier by the day. The OPs post makes zero sense.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Under hard acceleration it will act like a conventional automatic and step it's shifts.

Really.....did not know that, as ours does not. I've noticed engine revs increase when firmly pushing the go pedal, but there are no decernible/perceptible "shifts", up or down. Smooth as silk.:applause:

Just did our 1st road trip......1K miles over 4 days. 95% highway (75mph)/5% in town. Absolutely/positively DID NOT miss those annoying "regular tranny" down shifts/converter unlocks when negotiating an incline. Smooth as silk. I did notice 229F tranny temp which, to me, seems a little toasty. But as I've said before, it belongs to Honda for another 4 years.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made a big stink about my oil smelling like gasoline, not about the shifts. I didn’t discover the shifts until the drive home. They also spent almost 2 hours on the oil change and I was the only one in the service dept. I don’t know. The shifts don’t happen in drive just in “S”. I know I should of been more descriptive, but some people are quick to put others down and make negative comments. My main concern is that the service manager refused to tell me if I was gonna do damage to my engine running it with diluted oil. He also stated off telling that I didn’t need to change my oil and then offered to do it free of charge after I made a stink about the engine reliability since Honda knows they have an issue with the 1.5.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I do not notice shifts even when in "S" mode.....engine rpm is in a higher range and acceleration is brisker when in S mode, but no "shifting", still smooth as silk.:confused2:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I do not notice shifts even when in "S" mode.....engine rpm is in a higher range and acceleration is brisker when in S mode, but no "shifting", still smooth as silk.
Go to the one minute mark, the transmission step shifts under full acceleration:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the great video Bandit400, that is exactly what I am experiencing now, I won’t even start to pretend that I’m easy on my crv, but in the past in “S” or even in “L”, there was no stepping, just constant almost redline until I let go of the accelerator.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
I've watched on my 2.4l 16 and never seen a shift. If I floor it and keep the pedal to the carpet, it runs up to just under the red line and stays there accelerating all the time until I lift off.
Reprogramming the system is perfectly possible to do whatever Honda wants.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Like rocky said "never seen a shift......stays there accelerating all the time until I lift". Steady, smooth as silk......no fake "shifts".

I would presume those simulated/fake shifts (multiple 6K to 5K rpm drops) slows 0-60/0-100 times vs a steady 6K rpm.......no?

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you look at reviews of the CR-V (Jalopnik, Car and Driver, etc), they definitely mention simulated shifts when discussing the CVT. I don't really recall feeling or noticing that happening when driving ours, however.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Hammer down, 14.6 psi boost.........CVT smooth as silk.:nod:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hammer down, 14.6 psi boost.........CVT smooth as silk.:nod:
There's a minor hiccup. One exactly, and it's usually upwards of 60mph. I'd prefer the fake feedback not be there, but I also rarely floor it unless I'm giving the car a rolling tune-up....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts