Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
‘15 CRV EX-L
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I notice a whistling sound when accelerating between 40-50 mph. It is noticeable when AC and radio is off. It sounds like a turbo whistle. How many of you experience this and is it characteristic of CVT?

·
Registered
'12 Honda CR-V LX
52 Posts
I notice a whistling sound when accelerating between 40-50 mph. It is noticeable when AC and radio is off. It sounds like a turbo whistle. How many of you experience this and is it characteristic of CVT?
Gonna need some additional info. What model year is your car? Purchased new or used? How many miles on the OD? Do you have the service records? Has the CVT fluid ever been flushed? Has any service been performed on the CVT? Can you upload a sound clip so we can rule out other possible causes for the noise? Is this a recent issue, or has it always made this noise?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Whistling and whining are 2 very different sounds.

CVTs always have a low "whine" to them right out of the factory. Every Nissan I have been around new and old is rather noticeable. Haven't seen one yet that doesn't regardless of manufacturer. If it's enough that your really noticing it then it's a problem but a quite whine when accelerating is normal.

That said, you said "whistling". That a very different noise so as mentioned by the guy above, need to make a recording of the noise because a whistling noise is created by air moving.

A whining noise however can be many things. A wheel bearing can cause a whining type noise that is load and speed dependant for example. Too little info.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had that whistle since new. Also in a parking garage you can hear the CVT whine with the windows down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,066 Posts
You can hear a slow down whine at low speeds. I'll listen more closely and let you know if I hear anything the OP reports.

Reactions: crv999
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.