Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"D" light started blinking. Could it be tied to the multiplex control unit?

28K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kloker 
#1 ·
Hi! I have a 2002 CR-V that recently started having electric problems. The driver power lock stopped working, the AC doesn't get cold, the emergency brake indicator dashlight stays on, and the intermittent wiper setting doesn't work. Based off another post here and what the dealer told me, I'm pretty sure I need to change the multiplex control unit.

I haven't gotten that fixed yet, but just today the "D" light on the dash started blinking. From what I can find, it looks like it might be a transmission issue. :( Is there any way this could be tied to the multiplex control unit problem? I was going to wait until my dad could help me replace it at the end of August. I have an 8 hour drive to get home, though, so if I have a potential transmission issue, I'm not sure I can wait to change the multiplex control unit to see if that fixes the blinking "D" light.

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#2 ·
I'm NOT a mechanic however the Flashing D light is a common symptom on many older Hondas. As I recall its generally a faulty tranny pressure switch - it's used to tell the tranny when to make various shifts.

Perhaps ten years ago my 05 Pilot had the flashing D problem and I was able to determine which switch (there were two different ones, both mounted externally to the tranny); I was able to purchase it ($50) and do the work myself. You'll have to do your own google work as I don't recall specifics.

Those additional problems are also common on older vehicles. My second repair would be to look into the brake light, just in case theres more to it than a stuck switch. After that knock them out in order of preference.

#3 ·
The manual on the 2012 says that a blinking D light means the transmission has a problem and needs to be serviced. Also, look for any other lights on the dash. Most shops will do basic diagnostics free of charge. They would be able to plug a scan tool into it and find out.

#5 · (Edited)
I disagree with your comment of " isnt properly maintained" (my above Pilot was meticulously maintained). In my case it was simply a pressure switch (S2 or S3 - if memory serves me correctly) that had lived its useful life.

When I had this issue it would cost $100 just to have it scanned + parts and labor. I rolled the dice and ordered both switches for $100 knowing that I could easily replace them. I did and it worked; had it failed I would have gone to the dealer.

I replaced both because they were principally the same type of switch/ and co-located, each one sensed different pressure points.

#7 ·
Hi! I have a 2002 CR-V that recently started having electric problems. The driver power lock stopped working, the AC doesn't get cold, the emergency brake indicator dashlight stays on, and the intermittent wiper setting doesn't work. Based off another post here and what the dealer told me, I'm pretty sure I need to change the multiplex control unit.

I haven't gotten that fixed yet, but just today the "D" light on the dash started blinking. From what I can find, it looks like it might be a transmission issue. :( Is there any way this could be tied to the multiplex control unit problem? I was going to wait until my dad could help me replace it at the end of August. I have an 8 hour drive to get home, though, so if I have a potential transmission issue, I'm not sure I can wait to change the multiplex control unit to see if that fixes the blinking "D" light.

Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Welcome to the forum! These are likely all separate issues, and not your MICU or any other control modules, which very rarely fail. No one module controls all these things anyway. Each of these issues is common to the CR-V to some degree. Let's go down the list:

1. Blinking D transmission light - likely a pressure switch needs replacement.
2. Driver power door lock - one of the most common of all CR-V issues. Can be the switch, but is usually just the door lock actuator itself. Replace it.
3. A/C doesn't get cold - it's summer! You are likely low on refrigerant. Get the system checked, but hopefully just needs a recharge service.
4. Brake indicator light - this could be any number of things, such as low on brake fluid, pads worn out, brake light switch (at the pedal), out of adjustment, etc. Also, the emergency brakes are commonly ignored in brake jobs. They are a separate system, with brake shoes, inside the rear rotor/drum. It could also be a sticking caliper or pins.
5. Wiper issue - could be a fuse, the switch, the motor, etc.

I would not say it is common for all this to happen at once, but there are other considerations, like karma, Murphy's law, and bad luck, too. But the chances that it is a control module are slim. I know it's a lot all at once. I would do them in order of importance: trans issue, then brake issue, then the A/C, then the others. Think which ones are most critical to safety. Be sure to keep us posted on how this goes. I would find a competent shop, and never ever ever go to the dealer. That dealer will charge you more than the car is worth to fix things you don't need. Go to a mechanic with one issue at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.