Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CR-V (tan) has had a strange sound from the front since I bought it, and only when leaving the driveway. Nothing seems loose, the stabilizer bar connectors are all intact, etc. But it has been minor enough that I haven't bothered to track it down.

The blue CR-V, though, has a knock in the front going over bumps, and there is also a constant thump/knock from the rear. Using the palm of my hand, I smacked the front stabilizer bar and it is slightly loose--the rubber bushings are worn. (I had the same issue in my '97, and it's nearly the same sound.)

The rear noise I believe is the damper (aka strut). If I rock the left rear up and down, I hear a slight clunking/tapping sound. And in addition, that damper is covered in oil. It is not yet dripping on the driveway (as our TL did a few years ago), but the oil makes me think a seal is failing in it, and I am probably going to buy all four, with the springs, and just go around and do all of them at once.

It also makes me think my faint front-end clunk in my own CR-V is caused by the damper, as nothing else up there is loose. I still might replace them prior to an upcoming trip in late July.

Has anyone else here had a damper make a similar clunking sound when it went bad?

·
Registered
77 Posts
On my 2000 Accord V6 I had to replace the motor mounts three times because they broke. Just before I sold it, I found the bushings on the stabilizer bar to be dried and making that clunking sound. If you do one bushing on an old car, you might consider doing all the bushings you can easily reach. Most will be dried to some extent.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My '97 was terrible for old bushings. The two front bushings took hours to replace. The bolts had rusted in place, and two of the four snapped off. I drilled and tapped, and all was good. (The only thing that wasn't good? The tap I bought from Pep Boys. It would not start a thread! Ended up going to Production Tool and buying a real one there--it tapped the new holes like butter.)

With all these cars in the driveway, I fix what I can, when I can, and definitely will do some of the easier to reach parts if I am already under there.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Honda decided that putting the front stabilizer bar bushings on the top of the chassis was a good idea apparently. Over four hours later, I finally had both front bushings replaced on both CR-Vs. The worst bolt to access was the rearward bolt on the passenger's side, and thankfully I had a ratchet with finer "stops" since I was only turning it a fraction at a time. What also held me up was trying to get the bolts situated in the holes to get them to start. Thankfully the torque spec is only like 14 ft lbs. on these bolts, so they do not need to be very tight.

And therefore, of course, the noises from the front of #2 CR-V are still there. I don't know if they've gotten any better! Before I swapped out the bushing, though, I could push on part of the stabilizer bar and it definitely was making a good solid "clunk" just like it did on my '97 when the front bushings were bad. But I didn't check for this when I was done, since it was near dark outside, and once I dropped the ratchet after tightening down the last bolt, I got everything put away and went in the house, disgusted once again that it had taken so long.

Bushing tip: Use silicone spray on the inside of the bushings, and clean off the stabilizer bar by wiping it down with silicone spray, so those bushings slide right on and can be positioned easily Also, spray a little on the flat underside of the bushing so it can slide a little on the chassis.

Tip #2: Do one side at a time. I thought it would be easier to position the bushing brackets if both sides were loose, so I did #2 CR-V that way, and it was actually a little more difficult with the stabilizer bar moving every which way. If doing one side at a time, start the bolts on one side to get the bracket situated, then move to the other side to replace that bushing. The sway bar may still move a little, but it will still have a little "give" to it.

Tip #3: Pay someone else to do it.

Back to the noises.

I still hear a slight clunking in the back, but the front sounds like a constant light rattling/knocking while driving, even over relatively smooth pavement, almost like something is loose. I am going to check the stabilizer bar again--maybe it's the link going bad? Although with those, I usually find they don't get noisy but instead, the rods pop off of the balls and hang there; on this CR-V, though, they are extremely long compared to other Hondas I've replaced them in.

My last thought is the left front strut, although that one is not leaking like the left rear strut.

Ball joints, maybe? At least these are easy to replace. But even there, I don't think they would rattle like this, as they are under load.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Struts. Monroe OESpectrum are about $445 for the set from Rock Auto. CarID has the Unity Automotive brand, with a set for $315. But, I've never heard of that brand. I have no clue if they would be any good, and they need to be installed by an ASE-certified mechanic to honor the limited lifetime warranty.

One of our '09s is leaking now--I think it's mine, and I'm betting it's that left rear strut. I'm getting two small dots on the driveway near where the rear wheel is at, where I park. Going to double-check that soon.

The big unknown, though, is the front strut on the blue '09. Is it possible a strut rattles like that? It sounds like something is very loose, and it sounds higher up, not underneath. I have gone back under and shaken and moved the suspension components, with no clunks or rattles. I don't know how I'd even test a strut to see if it's rattling or not. And I'm not gambling $315 for all four struts, and a few hours work, to just throw parts at a problem. Or actually $630, as I'd probably do both '09s at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts