Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What dash cam are you using, how do you rate it and where did you mount it?
I'm looking at either the Mi Witness Hd, Blackvue 650 or the Lukas 9750

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Humor me a bit, but what's the point of having a dash cam? Recently I have read a lot about people wanting them. I can't really see why though.

·
Banned
806 Posts
What dash cam are you using, how do you rate it and where did you mount it?
I'm looking at either the Mi Witness Hd, Blackvue 650 or the Lukas 9750
I have the Blackvue 650 in all 3 of my vehicles and the 2 channel in my CR-V. I mounted them all high behind the rear view mirror. You wouldn't know it was there unless you were looking right at it. Image quality is perfect. I did have an issue with the GPS sensor not working in my 2 channel and the place I bought from issued a tag and I shipped it back. They offer a one year manufacturer warranty. It still recorded video, but didn't register speed and location. I tried to take a picture, but my car is still in a shadow and it didn't show up. I will try again as the sun gets higher in the horizon.

Humor me a bit, but what's the point of having a dash cam? Recently I have read a lot about people wanting them. I can't really see why though.
I will tell you exactly why I bought them. One, my wife had a lady change lanes into her and to avoid an accident moved over and busted her mirror off. She followed her for several miles, missing her appointment, before the cops could get her to stop. It was a he said she said and we were stuck with the repairs. I had an issue where a guy lost garbage out of his truck and denied anything fell out of his truck. The cops went back and found the item and it fortunately had his address on it and he fessed up to it. The dash cam would have saved a lot of headache both these times. The ones I have if a cop pulls me over for speeding it will register my speed in the bottom too. And I can dispute it right there. It will also record any voice interaction between the cop and myself.

Somebody runs a red light at night and there are no witness' a dash cam will help you in that instance too. You can't lie about what is recorded on video.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have the Blackvue 650 in all 3 of my vehicles and the 2 channel in my CR-V. I mounted them all high behind the rear view mirror. You wouldn't know it was there unless you were looking right at it. Image quality is perfect. I did have an issue with the GPS sensor not working in my 2 channel and the place I bought from issued a tag and I shipped it back. They offer a one year manufacturer warranty. It still recorded video, but didn't register speed and location. I tried to take a picture, but my car is still in a shadow and it didn't show up. I will try again as the sun gets higher in the horizon.

I will tell you exactly why I bought them. One, my wife had a lady change lanes into her and to avoid an accident moved over and busted her mirror off. She followed her for several miles, missing her appointment, before the cops could get her to stop. It was a he said she said and we were stuck with the repairs. I had an issue where a guy lost garbage out of his truck and denied anything fell out of his truck. The cops went back and found the item and it fortunately had his address on it and he fessed up to it. The dash cam would have saved a lot of headache both these times. The ones I have if a cop pulls me over for speeding it will register my speed in the bottom too. And I can dispute it right there. It will also record any voice interaction between the cop and myself.

Somebody runs a red light at night and there are no witness' a dash cam will help you in that instance too. You can't lie about what is recorded on video.
So where does the dash cam store the recording? In a little memory card or something? And I'm guessing you just reset it everyday?

·
Banned
806 Posts
So where does the dash cam store the recording? In a little memory card or something? And I'm guessing you just reset it everyday?
In an SD card that is in the camera. And no I don't have to reset it everyday. It is recommended to format it at least once a month to keep the card running well. According to manufacturer it will last about 6 months. I however had someone tell me that has the same camera as mine that they format it once a week and have had the same card for 2 years now.

Here is a pic with of mine thru the front. Getting the wire to the back for the rear camera was some work to get a nice clean hidden finish. I did get it though. Went through that rubber conduit between the body of the car and tailgate too.

I have a device that will record while the car is parked and off too. So if someone backs into me in a parking lot and leaves it will record. Another thing I just learned yesterday is that when I download a file to my phone it will show on a map right next to the picture direction and movement. Or I can just double tap the video side and use the phone's whole screen. Files are in one minute increments and will show time and whether it was a normal recording event. A parking recording, or an event recording, such as someone hitting your car. It has something in it too that will trigger event recording if you brake hard.

IMG_0588.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use an app on my phone called AutoGuard, when I place my phone in the holder it automatically starts recording onto a memory card.

I've even managed to record a hit & run on it that was used in evidence in court.

·
Banned
806 Posts
I use an app on my phone called AutoGuard, when I place my phone in the holder it automatically starts recording onto a memory card.

I've even managed to record a hit & run on it that was used in evidence in court.
For me leaving my phone in the car is like leaving your wallet or purse on the seat. The dash cam is hidden and pretty hard to spot unless your looking right at it. And to steal (auto correct thinks it knows how to spell) it would be worthless to anybody because it is password enabled. And not like a phone passcode. I have seen where there is a huge market on phones stolen in the US then are shipped to South America and people run business' hacking them and re selling them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I love my Garmin DashCam 20. It also gives you GPS coordinates, speed calculations, g-force readings, also real time mapping when reviewing footage. All you need is a 32gb micro sd card that will record up to 7 hours of driving and loops deleting the last footage to provide continuous recording.

Dash Cameras are great for those a-hole drivers who causes accidents and don't want to admit to fault. I've had so many close calls on video that I could technically create my own youtube channel in the future. I've recently gotten my bike rack rear-ended and now I wish I had another to record the rear action.

·
Banned
806 Posts
That's why you take you phone out of the holder when you leave the car, same as your wallet or purse
The way I originally read your comment was that your car was in a hit and run. I'm guessing you're implying that you saw a hit and run on someone else's car while driving your own car? Your angle of view with a cell phone is no where near what you get out of a dash cam. And my dash cam is left in the car and records hit and runs on my own vehicle while it is parked and I'm away from it.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I bought a cheap one from Ebay $20 shipped to my door and it has served me well for a couple of years now. Since I set it to record in 15 minute intervals, it eventually erases the older stuff and just keeps on going. Got the 32 gig card, so that it records a lot of videos.

Video looks very acceptable, but not quite the 1080P it’s described as, but good enough to see license plates and everything else going on. I have mine stuck at the top of the windshield (near rearview mirror) were it’s not very noticeable and run the plug around the windshield down the side and through the bottom of the dash to the plug at the bottom of the centre console.

It’s nice that it automatically comes on when I start the car and shuts off when I shut it off and pull out the ignition key. It also takes pics if I press it like a camera.

never tried this, but you can remove it and walk around with it, as it has a rechargable battery pack.:cool:

For $20, I’ve had nothing to lose. (The 32 gig card probably cost more)

·
Banned
806 Posts
Here are some more pictures. First picture is my CR-V. These are the only wires you see. There are two wires. One that isn't currently connected (runs rear camera) as was mentioned in one of my first post's in this thread as my 2 channel camera was sent back due to GPS issues. I'm currently using only a single channel that I swiped out of my other car. Wires are hidden from the outside looking in, due to the shaded part of the windshield.

IMG_0598.jpg

My truck from the outside in. And a couple of pictures from inside. The only visible wires is what you see.

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

Device that is installed to keep camera operating while car is parked and off. First picture is my truck, second is my CR-V. Mounted in same general area. I just cleaned the surface really well and used 3M double sided tape. You can screw it in too, but I didn't want the holes. My OCD.

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

Ignore the dirty vehicles as they were all suppose to get a bath and vacuum today, but the weather is suppose to be crappy on Tuesday. Hope these pictures help the OP and anybody else that may be considering one. My CR-V was the easiest install when it come to finding power in comparison to my other two vehicles. Needs switched power and a constant on. As I mentioned earlier it was some work to fish the wires from the main part of the car to the tailgate.

If your window in the rear is tinted too dark the rear camera won't work very well. Factory tint in the window it works fine. My wife's car being tinted too dark is why I didn't put a 2 channel in her car. And the truck the way the back window is (middle slides open electronically), and how high it is I didn't put a 2 channel in there either.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is too easy to answer.

My dash cam (Phillips ADR810) gave me all the proof I needed that a tire dealer was at fault for $1118.42 in damages my car.

Without the dash cam footage, I'd have been SOL.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys and great photos DYI. Really good information and helpful in visualising the camera in place.

Coastie, I'm not in the entertainment business but if your looking for some humour stick on the cartoons.
I've just had the side taken out my 2016 Crv by a articulated lorry. Why do you think ? It's not for selfies

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Coastie, I'm not in the entertainment business but if your looking for some humour stick on the cartoons.
I've just had the side taken out my 2016 Crv by a articulated lorry. Why do you think ? It's not for selfies
I'm glad you're not in the entertainment business because I doubt you have a sense of humor. Anyway, it was a simple question....no need to get butt hurt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The problem is mate, I don't suffer fools.

Your first post you don't know why you'd want one or what they do and then your next gem . Is it stored in a little memory card or something. And I'm guessing you just reset it everyday.

You don't know the benefits of one, how they work or bothered to do a bit or research.

So what did you actually add of value ?

If you tried a better approach rather than trying to be smart with your humour me I would be more accommodating.

And by the way. I'm the life and soul of the party. Incase you don't recognise sarcasm. My tongue is sticking out my cheek.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Here is how I obtained my power. Not one wire was cut. They will provide these "fuse taps" free of charge if you buy both a dash cam and power magic pro. Power Magic Pro is that box down by the brake and gas pedal in my above pictures.

IMG_0604.jpg

I would also strongly suggest getting a two channel (front and rear camera) dash cam, if your vehicle will allow them. CR-V with factory tint works fine. Like I mentioned above I didn't put one in my truck because of the rear window set up. And my wife's car the rear window is tinted too dark. If anybody has any questions on anything, feel free to ask. And I will do my best to explain. If there is a picture of something that you would like to see, ask. I will more than happy to share.

Funny how some of these pictures show up looking like there is a ton of dust. Yet if I look for it in person there isn't any. I'm pretty OCD about keeping my cars clean.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks DYI, I think that would be the best way to proceed with the wiring. It'll keep the warranty intact as I won't have to cut into the wires.

Your car looks fine, you should see mine.

It's crumpled. A lorry rammed into the side.

The repair shop have ordered two new doors with the rear quarter panel having to be knocked back into shape. Devastated!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have KD links in my CRV. Records on a memory card. Events can be locked, not erased, at the touch of a button. HD, night vision, audio and zoom.
why have it? One contested accident might mean you pay your deductible because you can't prove whos fault it was is worth the price.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts