Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally bought a dash came (Garmin 66W). I chose to run the wiring around the passenger side rather than the driver side. Removing the pillar panel, glove box, etc., are all pretty easy. There's another thread on here where someone shard a link to the installation manual from College Hills Honda website for installing the ambient lighting. That installation manual has good details on how to remove the glove box and surrounding paneling. But the pillar panel you're on your own. I velcro tied the cable tightly against the existing flex tubing already in the pillar. Just be very careful there's no slack or anything else that can get in the way of the side curtain airbag. I didn't want to hardwire the camera (nor did Garmin offer any loose end wiring for that, the connection is UBS only from them). Ultimately I want to round the end of it to the USB port in the arm rest storage bin but I haven't figure out how to do that yet from the inside (I don't want the wiring to come out from under the center console paneling only to go back into the arm rest again. Will utlimately need to drill a hole inside the bottom of the arm rest storage bin to keep all cables out of sight.

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
This is good work. You should just get an add a fuse thing and hardwire but your strategy is easy to finish. The cupholder area just prys off. There's creases along the left and right sides, just get a trim tool in there and pry up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
210 Posts
Seems silly to me to rip apart the dash and run new wire for a dash cam.

There is already power running up to the lkas camera on the windshield. Comma ai's dash cam dev kit just connects between that and the stock camera, done and done.

And as well then your crv can self drive like a Tesla!

·
Registered
415 Posts
This is good work. You should just get an add a fuse thing and hardwire but your strategy is easy to finish. The cupholder area just prys off. There's creases along the left and right sides, just get a trim tool in there and pry up.

here is a demo on how to easily pry the center cup holder, very easy....
the "add a fuse" thing is even easier... but will always be on.
please don't touch the radar/camera unit. don't really want to mess with that area.

·
Registered
210 Posts
please don't touch the radar/camera unit. don't really want to mess with that area.
Not sure why people shy away from modifying the car.

Telling someone to wire up a dash cam by bringing it to the fuse box is equally as dangerous.

Either way, it's your car and you can do with it as you please.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Yea i wired mine on the passenger side without removing anything, all hidden behind the panels.
I would like to do the add a fuse kit.
Anyone have a prime link for a good one for the CRV..
Right now i have it in the cig lighter iwth the anker dual usb plug

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The wireless pads are great until you realize you still have to plug the phone in for Carplay.
Nice add on for passengers i guess

·
Registered
415 Posts
The wireless pads are great until you realize you still have to plug the phone in for Carplay.
Nice add on for passengers i guess
yeah, I was just showing how to remove the center cup holder.
I was not particularly interested with the wireless charger too, since I still use the charging cable for carplay/navigation, and wife needs that space for her stuff.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
yeah, I was just showing how to remove the center cup holder.
I was not particularly interested with the wireless charger too, since I still use the charging cable for carplay/navigation, and wife needs that space for her stuff.
Yea for a car with all these compartments i barely get any since they were all claimed lol

Would be cool if someone made a harness from
The video that just ran extra wires to connect the dash cam to and retained the cig lighter.

Maybe i will fab one up

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The video is an excellent help, thanks for that...plus I already have a set of those trim tools. Also, glad to see another Anker fan. I first started buying their products years back and watched as they're company and product line up grow and improve. Their cables are top notch as are all their other various batteries, adapters, etc. But I digress.

My next project is to install a rear camera too, probably go with the same model, but will need to explore the options for running the wire.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The video is an excellent help, thanks for that...plus I already have a set of those trim tools. Also, glad to see another Anker fan. I first started buying their products years back and watched as they're company and product line up grow and improve. Their cables are top notch as are all their other various batteries, adapters, etc. But I digress.

My next project is to install a rear camera too, probably go with the same model, but will need to explore the options for running the wire.
They had anker roav duo (front and rear cam) for $89 on slickdeals/prime the other day.

I have a c1 but might put that in my wifes work truck and go dual in the crv

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have two separate cams for front and rear. Wired both to fuse box using add-a-fuse and only had to remove one small panel on the side of the dash. All usb and power receptacles are free with no unsightly wires.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yikes, that seems like a lot of work for wiring. I did the drivers side as it's closer to the fuse box. I was able to run the cable without having to fully remove the a-pillar cover. The cable drops down right next to the fuse panel where I used a add-a-fuse and patched it right in. Took maybe 1/2 hour at most.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just ran my dash cam's USB cable along the passenger side without removing any of the panels, just slowly tried to stuff as much of the cable behind as I could behind panels. You can see a little of it poking out where the right side of the dash is near the front windshield though. Then there's an area under the glove box you can kind of hook it into before running it to the center power outlet. If I had to do it again I might have measured the cable better so there's less slack at the end and stuffed more of it into the headliner at the start.

Also, make sure you check the footage where you install the camera. I only used the tiny screen on the camera and didn't notice I put it a little too high up and you can see the gradient dots. Fortunately, while visible in the video, it doesn't affect anything. I tried to take the initial installation tape off, but it would have taken more patience than I had at the time. Brute force just wasn't enough with the string they provide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts