Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This is sort of piggy backing off of my other thread. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Dash Gauge Cluster(or whatever it's called) could swap out from a 1996 Civic and fit into into a 2001 CRV? I'm just talking about the whole cluster that holds the speedometer, rpm, and fuel gauges.

Thanks everyone, and have a good one.

Ray

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P0420

Well, I thoughts are off any kind of Gauge swapping or anything.

This stinkin' code has plagued my uncle for years and now me to. He had his Cat. Con. replaced, his sensors replaced over and over again continually dishing out more and more money for just and endless cycle of chasing the mysterious P0420 code.

I checked online, and it seems many have had trouble with this and have found no lasting solutions as well. I really DO NOT want to continue on this cycle of continuously paying out money for the carrot I'll never catch. I mean If I keep turning the yellow signal off, what if something really bad happens. Kind of stuck in the middle here. Has any found a lasting REAL solution to P0420 Code problem.

It's on my 2001 Honda CR V SE.

Thanks

Ray

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I agree with you in regards about the P0420. Was anything done before you had the P0420 pop up? Do you have any exhaust leak? Odometer reading? Upstream O2 sensor been replaced ? Let me know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
otto888man,

Well I bought it off my Uncle, and he told me he just got so tired of the light being on, that he ended up just ignoring it. I ended up going under the car to see if I could see anything, and I did end up finding something. Just under the "back" passenger side tire, there is that flange that comes together before reaching the muffler. And the "fixed" one is rusted out and allowing those pipes to separate and just hang there. Do you think this is something they can repair and fix on it's own, or would they need to replace the whole pipe setup.

Thankyou for your reply otto888man!

Ray

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
It will depend on the muffler shop you will deal with. If they are competent they can weld it together if the pipe are in condition still. Another way if the pipes are badly rusted. They can cut it off & then weld a good piece there. Be sure to remove the negative terminal & be sure you insists on it, as you do not want to fry any electronic/electrical components when doing any welding unless they use acetylene/oxy welding. I will help you solve this P0420 problem. When was the last time you had a tune up? I have seen many P0420 that is caused by other parts than the actual Cat converter. Let me know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou otto888man, I greatly appreciate the support! The last tune up was about 2 months ago. It would be a huge relief if it wasn't the Cat. But we'll have to see. I'm going to get out to the Muffler Shop hopefully tomorrow, if not, then monday. It depends on tonight and tomorrows snow, because I will be plowing.

Thanks again for your help man, and I will keep you updated!

Ray

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
No prob bud. Keep me posted! What make are the spark plugs? We are lucky here, no snow yet. But the weather forecast snow on Sunday. I will help you fix this P0420 problem.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have heard that if you don't use Denso sensors the error will come back with other makes, specifically Bosch.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,711 Posts
I really DO NOT want to continue on this cycle of continuously paying out money for the carrot I'll never catch.

If your V runs fine but still generates that code after all that work, consider installing a spacer onto the downstream O2 sensor. This is a popular "tuner" trick. (In California, They MAY fail you if they spot this, however)

http://www.amazon.com/O2-Sensor-Spacer-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00CZFCPQU

This is assuming you don't have any misfires and that your Cat isn't one of those cheap aftermarket units...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your help with the sensor. Sorry I did respond earlier I have been very busy this month. Since a little more than three weeks ago the Check Engine light hasn't come back on at all, and I did nothing to change that. It just happened on it's own. So I'm just waiting to see how long that will last.

I'll keep this thread intune to what's going on with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts