Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive lighting Speedometer Vision care Eyewear Sky

Automotive lighting Gauge Speedometer Clock Headlamp

I was installing new led bulbs for the sunroof switches and I guess since I was using a metal screwdriver to tighten it, it sparked and now half of my cluster won’t light up. I attached pictures before and after I turn the lights on.
I’ve checked most of the fuses that I know about and they’re all fine. Also all the bulbs are fine. As you can see with the head lights off the parking light bulb is on then when lights are flicked on it disappears.

2nd gen 2006

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,552 Posts
I recognized that instrument cluster, so I moved it to the Gen2 section! (Mentioning that it was a 2006 in the last line helped, too. ) :giggle:
Pls update your location and Vehicle Details in ACCOUNT SETTINGS.

That said, I KNOW that folks have replaced Gen2 bulbs, but if you said you tested the bulbs we must GUESS that the issue is in the dimmer circuit, since that controls the LCD backlight when the lights are on.

You would need to remove the cluster and do some troubleshooting...If you are lucky you might find a charred component or broken wire trace.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recognized that instrument cluster, so I moved it to the Gen2 section! (Mentioning that it was a 2006 in the last line helped, too. ) :giggle:
Pls update your location and Vehicle Details in ACCOUNT SETTINGS.

That said, I KNOW that folks have replaced Gen2 bulbs, but if you said you tested the bulbs we must GUESS that the issue is in the dimmer circuit, since that controls the LCD backlight when the lights are on.

You would need to remove the cluster and do some troubleshooting...If you are lucky you might find a charred component or broken wire trace.

Good Luck.
Thank you!

Yes I have taken it out and removed the white plastic cover and wasn’t able to see anything abnormal so I’m guessing a wire but I have no clue what wire to look out for. I’m trying to find the diagram with the wires for the cluster to see if I can trouble shoot.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,552 Posts
Does the offshore Service Manual at the top of the Gen2 section include diagrams? The factory Helms manual I have, doesn't (it was an extra-cost section).

I've never needed to remove ours.

++++++++++

PS: Plan B would be to find & install a used cluster

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,699 Posts
Sparks usually means transient currents in the circuit.
Possible to have blown fuses.
Test all the fuses in the fuse boxes (both the engine bay and under dash fuse boxes)
Use a test light to check. There are two tabs on top of the fuse. If both light up the test light
Then fuse is good. If only one side then fuse is blown. If no lights at all then no power to fuse.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had that same issue when i was changing a radio and stupid me, i did not unplug the fuse or the battery!
I opened the assembly completely and there was two burned wires of etching on the board, I soldered them and great i got it back. I know some of this because i studied electronics a while ago

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had that same issue when i was changing a radio and stupid me, i did not unplug the fuse or the battery!
I opened the assembly completely and there was two burned wires of etching on the board, I soldered them and great i got it back. I know some of this because i studied electronics a while ago
Wow etching burned hopefully this was cleanup so no more issue would come from this in the future.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wow etching burned hopefully this was cleanup so no more issue would come from this in the future.
This happened last year, no issues so far, It should be all right. I saw smoke coming out at the time, so I knew something burned out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts