Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

New to the forum, but been lurking here for a while.

The dash lights on my 2002 CR-V went out and I can't figure out why. I only know of the underhood fuse #2 and replaced that to no avail. Checked most of the fuses and they looked intact. I am hoping someone can tell me exactly which fuses to check.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Took it in to the dealer today to have it looked at and get an oil change the estimate for the diagnosis was $150. Left the car with them and got a call later on in the day and it was the the gauge cluster that went bad so I am getting a new one. The part has already been ordered and will be there by next week. Total cost to me, $35... for the oil change, the part was covered under the Honda Care Warranty:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah all of them. Door switch, A/C control, Gauge cluster, and all other switches. I guess that would all be the illumination parts.

The Gauge cluster LCD read-out lights up, as usual, when you turn the car on but as soon as I turn the lights on it goes dark. I have noticed that the left/right signals on the gauge is very dimly lit (barely noticible). Goes completely dark when I turn the lights off. Also with the lights on, if I hit either the left or right turn signal, both left/right signals flash together. Of course with the lights off it functions fine. Everything else in the car functions fine except for the interior switch/dash illumination part with the lights on.

I should also mention if it helps that it happened after I replaced or rather tried to replace a burnt out bulb on the cruise control switch.

Really appreciate it if I can get it fixed this weekend, if not I won't be able to take it in to the dealer till Friday since that is the only time I have free plus don't really know how much it will cost to diagnose and fix the problem at the dealer (probably a lot).

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,076 Posts
did you unplug something and forget to plug it back in when replaceing the cruise control light? If it's near the dimmer switch I would say thats it. Pull it out and check.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you unplug something and forget to plug it back in when replaceing the cruise control light? If it's near the dimmer switch I would say thats it. Pull it out and check.
No I double checked everything I even unplugged the switch just to make sure it was not shorting anything and still nothing. the dimmer switch is on the gauge cluster and built into the cluster so I have no way of checking if that's the problem, unless there is a way to check.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd say the quickest and easiest thing to do is check ALL of the fuses and relays if you haven't already.
I may have to, I was hoping that there was another fuse I needed to check. By the way how can I make sure that a fuse is blown, do they all break at the center and be easily seen or will it break at the corner and kind of hard to see. I checked a few fuses and the looked intact to me, but just wondering if anyone has come across a fuse that blew at some weird place and was hard to tell.

By the way any suggestions on how to drive at night without the dash lights:)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I may have to, I was hoping that there was another fuse I needed to check. By the way how can I make sure that a fuse is blown, do they all break at the center and be easily seen or will it break at the corner and kind of hard to see. I checked a few fuses and the looked intact to me, but just wondering if anyone has come across a fuse that blew at some weird place and was hard to tell.

By the way any suggestions on how to drive at night without the dash lights:)
I had a tube fuse blow in an ODD way close to one of the caps and it was hard to tell. BUT, usually they go out in the middle or near there as that is the weakest junction point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well going to go to sleep, check the fuses/relay's tomorrow and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out I guess I will have to take it to the dealer, not looking forward to that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just in case you didn't see the update I made on the first post here it is:

'Took it in to the dealer today to have it looked at and get an oil change the estimate for the diagnosis was $150. Left the car with them and got a call later on in the day and it was the the gauge cluster that went bad so I am getting a new one. The part has already been ordered and will be there by next week. Total cost to me, $35... for the oil change, the part was covered under the Honda Care Warranty:)'

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
don't know if this is too late, but you actually just need to reset the gauge cluster as you would to get rid of the SRS warning. I did the same thing when I pulled the cluster out, I detached the green and blue wires to the cluster, and it works same for the three switches on the left, like cruise control, if you disconnect them, find the instructions to reset, the stealership usually doesn't know what's going on anyway, they wanted t ocharge me $80 to look at my glove box... LOOK... at it, because it wouldn't close all the way, I said F" that, and I bent the latch bar underneath the dash and viola. problem solved...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
don't know if this is too late, but you actually just need to reset the gauge cluster as you would to get rid of the SRS warning. I did the same thing when I pulled the cluster out, I detached the green and blue wires to the cluster, and it works same for the three switches on the left, like cruise control, if you disconnect them, find the instructions to reset, the stealership usually doesn't know what's going on anyway, they wanted t ocharge me $80 to look at my glove box... LOOK... at it, because it wouldn't close all the way, I said F" that, and I bent the latch bar underneath the dash and viola. problem solved...
Just saw your post, yeah not too worried about it since it is being taken care of by the dealer and I don't have to pay anything, plus I get a new cluster in the process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! First post on here. I know this is an old thread, but this exact thing just happened to me when I too was replacing a cruise control light. (stupid me). Anyway, where would I find the gauge cluster and how do I reset it?

I am worried that it is more than this however because there some smoke from inside the dash when I did this and that nice burnt smell. : [

I could just get one off an crashed CRV at the junkyard, but I have no idea what I am looking for. Any help out there for this mad-at-myself repair guy?

TIA,

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! First post on here. I know this is an old thread, but this exact thing just happened to me when I too was replacing a cruise control light. (stupid me). Anyway, where would I find the gauge cluster and how do I reset it?

I am worried that it is more than this however because there some smoke from inside the dash when I did this and that nice burnt smell. : [

I could just get one off an crashed CRV at the junkyard, but I have no idea what I am looking for. Any help out there for this mad-at-myself repair guy?

TIA,

Dave
i have the same issue- have you fixed this ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did solve it. I went to the junk yard and got a new instrument cluster from the exact same year model and maker (Japan vs America made model). They are easy to switch out and it solved it! The only thing you have to be aware of is the state regulations in changing your odometer. Where I live I just have to make a note of it and let the next buyer know. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did solve it. I went to the junk yard and got a new instrument cluster from the exact same year model and maker (Japan vs America made model). They are easy to switch out and it solved it! The only thing you have to be aware of is the state regulations in changing your odometer. Where I live I just have to make a note of it and let the next buyer know. Hope this helps!
i fixed it a different way. i bypassed the multiplex similar to what the guys do on the accords.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Just an FYI there is no American made versions of the CRV till 2007 (generation 3). There is UK manufactured versions but rare in the US. Almost all are Japan built for generation 1, 2 (which you and I have) but as I said, UK versions can be found. Just look at the Vin in the windshield. Almost every part from 2002 to 2006 is cross compatible though 05 and 06 there is a few cosmetic differences like the headlights.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts