Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has a 2004 CRV (not living with me) and had the tach quit with the ignition lights come on LIKE WHEN THE IGNITION IS FIRST TURNED ON BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE but she is driving down the road and the engine is operating. Then when she stops, the transmission will not go into park and if she shuts the engine off, it will not turn over in neutral (she can't get it into Park). Anyone have similar crazy problems?????????

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Was anything done before this happened? Try to put a jumper or a booster pack & then try again. Most likely an electrical issue. Are the brake lights coming on when she depress the brake pedal? Try to wiggle the shifter while trying to start the engine. The system might be running on low voltage. What's the odometer reading? I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Otto888man...thanks for comments! Yes, a few weeks ago the starter was replaced. The car has just over 200K. I will tell her your comments...she had to have it towed, so had them drop it at her shop.

Now my questions...I understand your shifter comment, but why did you ask about the brake lights? Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
No problem. Have the shop check the cables that goes to the starter for integrity. Check for system voltage while its idling. I have seen this symptom where all the lights on the dash is ON even when the engine is running. Usually it points to a bad alternator. When the dash lights are not On when the engine is running is the Battery Light ON? If the brakes lights are out, the shifter wont shift out of park. But it should be able to go to park even the brake lights bulbs are bad. Its most likely that all of the problems are created by low system voltage. Was the alternator been replaced before? There is a procedure in the owner's manual for the shifter override. Try to do the procedure this should release the safety lock for it to be shifted to park. I hope this helps. We are here to help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your information! I will pass it on to my daughter. Also...the shop has determined that the alternator is bad. We just bought the CRV in June, and I will go back to the owner to find out if he had ever replaced it. He had told me when we bought it that they never had any trouble...and like some cars I've had in the past...they go great till suddenly everything seems to let go at once! So now my daughter is wondering if it's too old to inverst that much money...it also needs brakes. Any comments...? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
You're welcome. The alternator is a wear & tear item. If you're replacing it, be sure to use a good remanufactured unit. The 04 CRV is one of the good year that Honda made. I think 200k miles has a lot of life in it. How's the body? Usually Hondas when you fix them well they don't become money pit. I suggest to give this vehicle a chance get the brakes & the alternator replaced. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're welcome. The alternator is a wear & tear item. If you're replacing it, be sure to use a good remanufactured unit. The 04 CRV is one of the good year that Honda made. I think 200k miles has a lot of life in it. How's the body? Usually Hondas when you fix them well they don't become money pit. I suggest to give this vehicle a chance get the brakes & the alternator replaced. I hope this helps.
otto888man: Thanks...your response confirms what I was thinking! The body is in great shape as it is from the south. I think it will be a great car for my daughter to have as it is her first winter on the east side of Chicago!

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
You're welcome These models are good year for the CRV. I hope you had it rustproofed to prolong the life of the body. If you can get set of winter tires even if it's used will greatly increase traction for her safety. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts