Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 CRV's dashboard lights & gauges flicker I would say 60% of the time while I'm driving. When this first started a couple years ago, it only seemed to do it in cold weather about 40 degrees F or below (I'm from MN), but nowadays it does it year round. It seems like there is a short in the wiring somewhere, but just wondering if anyone has any other ideas as to what it might be.
The lights on the dash will flicker and the gauges will also flicker. If I have the cruise control on, the "Cruise" light will stay lit the whole time and will not flicker which is odd. Also, the odometer does not record accurate mileage while it's occuring.
I listed about all I can think of that happens, but if anyone has follow up questions just fire away.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Have you tried messing with the dimmer when it happens?

I don't think that would affect the odometer though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dimmer doesn't effect it at all. I'm assuming the odometer doesn't work properly because power isn't being supplied continuously. So it does work, but since the power is only coming in spurts, the odometer is only working a fraction of the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
everything felt tight. But I jiggled some things around and we'll see if that helps:)

Just some more info...The lights on the radio and heater & A/C controls also flicker with the rest of the dash. The radio and fans do stay working the whole time without any interuption. Just listing all the info I can...

I was reading a post from a year or so ago that sounded similar to my problem. Their fix was a new alternator...does anyone think this may help???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Get the alternator tested and make sure it is putting out the proper amount of power continuously. Check your battery cable connections as well for corrosion/tightness.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,586 Posts
On other makes of cars, "light flickers" can be caused by poor connections to the big cables on the battery. Not on the battery posts themselves, but on the crimps holding the terminations to the cables.

The fix on those cars was to clean up the connection (externally) and squeeze the crimps tighter. Might also want to solder the crimped areas...

If you notice any corrosion at either end, replacing the cables might be the ultimate fix...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Follow up

My 2002 CRV's dashboard lights & gauges flicker I would say 60% of the time while I'm driving. When this first started a couple years ago, it only seemed to do it in cold weather about 40 degrees F or below (I'm from MN), but nowadays it does it year round. It seems like there is a short in the wiring somewhere, but just wondering if anyone has any other ideas as to what it might be.
The lights on the dash will flicker and the gauges will also flicker. If I have the cruise control on, the "Cruise" light will stay lit the whole time and will not flicker which is odd. Also, the odometer does not record accurate mileage while it's occuring.
I listed about all I can think of that happens, but if anyone has follow up questions just fire away.
Did you ever find the problem, my 2002 CRV just started to show the same symptoms as yours

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys , im new here... Had the same problem a couple of time... Just change the LED a few times.. After a few years... It flickers again... My local mechanic told me its the fuse going bad... Not sure which one..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Removed the instrument cluster. Check YouTube for instructions. get the cluster out. Take the back cover out to have access to the back of circuit board. Use hot hair dryer to heat the back of circuit board. more to the center. This work for me. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts