Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a Dashcam recently, a spytec/viofa A119. Nice sleek setup with GPS logging for cheap. Here is where I mounted it.

https://imgur.com/a/4V3wd (also attached).

Outside the car you would have a hard time spotting it, and it's not obnoxious on the inside either. I did have to mount it low enough to peek out under the tinted dots on the windshield.

Very easy to run the wires behind the headliner and down the driver side A pillar and directly into the dash. I wired it into a power magic pro, and 2 add-a-fuse clips. Easy project, but the hardest part was finding a good ground point. I ended up adding a bolt above the obd port which was cumbersome. If there is a nearby ground point to the fuse box I couldn't find it.

Also figuring out which fuse to tap is annoying, some fuses switch on ignition, some switch on when the door is opened and turn off after a few minutes. I couldn't actually find one that was always on, which I wanted so I could run the camera in parked mode. If someone has documented this would be great.

Obviously you could wire the Dashcam into the overhead bin area probably, bit that would require digging around and modifying existing wires and the always on feature wouldn't be available. In the past I have run the Dashcam wires all the way to the center console and plugged into a 12v cig outlet or USB jack, but that is harder to hide and takes up an outlet, and also is only on when the car is on. The add a fuse method is non destructive and flexible as that's where all the power is coming in anyway and there is tons of room to hide hardware and cables.

Cost installed under $100, the dashcam itself was $70.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Careful about having the wire run through the A pillar. I have a dashcam myself and realized that the wire was going over the side curtain airbag, which could actually affect the deployment of the airbag. I ended up wiring it behind the side curtain airbag which was pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Careful about having the wire run through the A pillar. I have a dashcam myself and realized that the wire was going over the side curtain airbag, which could actually affect the deployment of the airbag. I ended up wiring it behind the side curtain airbag which was pretty easy to do.
You are right, this is something to watch out for. The A Pillar cover is easy to pop off, and there is tons of room behind the airbag, and there is already a cable bundle being run there. I zip tied my cable to this bundle, there is zero chance it would interfere with the side curtain air bag. No worries!

Looks good I been having a cam for months now and it's nice having a second set of eyes. I want to power it with the mirror next to it instead of running the cable a long side.
Powering it via the cable bundle in the mirror I assume is possible, though my dashcam requires 5v power, if the mirror runs on 12v you will need to hide a DC converter there somewhere. It will probably require either designing a custom wiring harness or soldering directly to existing wires. I am sure its possible but that requires more effort. Running the cable to the fuse box area took me about 5 minutes and required zero modification to the existing vehicle or compromising the warranty. If you do wire to the mirror, take photos and document it, maybe its easier than I am imagining.

Car break ins are rampant here in SF. Do these things deter? Or do they just become something attractive to steal?
Definitely something to consider, like those garmin GPS units from 10 years ago it provides an incentive for someone to break in to steal it. This unit is pretty well hidden as far as dashcams go which helps. Its also not an expensive dashcam like a $400+ blackvue or something like that. I park in garage in a safe suburban neighborhood primarily so this isn't a huge concern for me.

I do like the parking feature of the dashcam where it will record at low frame rate while parked, and save off files if the car is hit or if it detects motion. If I park in public and back into a spot (easy to do with a backup cam) it provides another level of security against someone who is going to hit your parked car and leave without a note.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Really nice installation and it is very stealthy.
I am just curious as to why you want it to be powered all the time? Is it that your worried about the vehicle being vandalized at night? What is the extra draw on the battery since you installed it?

Thanks for sharing

Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a bolt on the fuel/hood release assembly that makes a great ground, right under the fuses.
Good tip, I did pop that cover off as well, and didn't see anything obvious to ground to. At least nothing that had other wires grounded to it, and wasn't a structural bolt. I saw some photos on this forum of older CRVs that had ground points there, but I didn't see one on my 5th gen. Wish I took a photo when I had the cover off.

Really nice installation and it is very stealthy.
I am just curious as to why you want it to be powered all the time? Is it that your worried about the vehicle being vandalized at night? What is the extra draw on the battery since you installed it?

Thanks for sharing

Rob

Why do I want it running all the time? Why not? It has some cool parking features, so if I am in a public parking area its a small extra layer of security. Like I said if you back into the spot and someone hits your car you have that evidence. My buddy came back to his parked car last week and someone had hit his front quarter panel and drove away. If he had this, maybe he would have gotten a license plate or photo of the person maybe. At the very least you could use it as evidence to your insurance company that you weren't in an at-fault single vehicle collision.

The battery draw on the camera is very very minimal, and the Power magic pro prevents the battery from draining too low, it also has a timer that turns off automatically if you want, and I mounted the switch under the dash in a easy to reach way to disable the feature entirely. Basically I figured if I was wiring to the fuse box area, it was a easy feature to add, and the cost was minimal (about $20).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have A119s installed in the same location. The wire runs on the side of the A pillar, inside the rubber on its sides

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Looks good! Is that the OEM rear view mirror? Mine looks different, though I have a touring.

You ran the wire in the rubber weather stripping in the front? Probably ok, though that's more likely to interfere with the airbag than running it in the wire channel inside the A pillar. Probably is fine though definitely something to think about you really don't want anything between the airbag and you.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Looks good! Is that the OEM rear view mirror? Mine looks different, though I have a touring.

You ran the wire in the rubber weather stripping in the front? Probably ok, though that's more likely to interfere with the airbag than running it in the wire channel inside the A pillar. Probably is fine though definitely something to think about you really don't want anything between the airbag and you.
yeah in the rubber stripping on the sides, I guess it won't interfere with the airbag since the wire will come loose easily. I want to put it inside the A pillar but don't know how to remove it and I'm afraid I might trigger the airbag if I will try to remove it.
Any tutorial or pic how to remove it? Thanks

That's a clip on rear view mirror. I always install a bigger one so that I can see more and better

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to put it inside the A pillar but don't know how to remove it and I'm afraid I might trigger the airbag if I will try to remove it.
Any tutorial or pic how to remove it? Thanks
Sorry didn't take photos of the A piller open. It was pretty simple, I pulled firmly away from the side of the car, if I remember correctly it was just a couple plastic retainers. Several trim pieces all use these plastic anchors. If you are lucky the anchors will be attached to the trim on removal and not stuck to the car or launched into some dark recess!

I wouldn't worry too much about triggering the airbag, it's not like Honda booby trapped the A piller or something. That being said I would avoid messing with it with the cover off if possible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also what fuse did you tap it? I am thinking to do the same so that I can use parking mode.
Thanks
I believe I used fuse 9 for switched power, and one of the lettered ones in the black expansion unit for always on. Not sure which one, but it was the furthest one on the lower right. I tested it with a multimeter and it appears to stay on constantly. See my photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
@ OP - I have the same camera with the GPS module in my '13 Accord, also hard wired to the box behind the A Pillar. If you didn't invest the extra $10 on the filter, I highly recommend you do. Much better pic quality with the filter on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@ OP - I have the same camera with the GPS module in my '13 Accord, also hard wired to the box behind the A Pillar. If you didn't invest the extra $10 on the filter, I highly recommend you do. Much better pic quality with the filter on.
Doing a quick google search, it looks like the filter cuts down glare, especially reflections of the dash on the windshield. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Any problem with the Honda Sensing camera on the rear view mirror being obstructed by the dash cam?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.