Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2018 Honda CR-V Touring.

I'm trying to figure out ....

Does my vehicle have daytime running lights ?
If so, how are they enabled ?
I don't see any exterior lights illuminated at all, during the day, when the vehicle is running.
I normally have my light stalk is set to "Auto".

The lights come on automatically when it gets dark. (A good thing.)
They light up if I'm in my garage but when I leave the garage during the day, the exterior lights turn off.
And that's how I thought the "Auto" setting would work.

I can manually turn on all lights if I rotate the light stalk. So that's good as well.

I thought for some reason, I would have "some" sort of exterior lights illuminated, during the day.

But maybe not ?

I checked the manual and if it's there, I didn't understand it.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,154 Posts
The EU were quick to introduce DRL's - and forgot that they should have applied them to the rear lights as well.

So many times I have seen drivers in the dark with no headlights on, thinking the DRL's do the job and making the rear of their car almost invisible on some rural roads.

Not very clever.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I did HGV driving for some years and if you could one of these idiots's to sit in the cab seat and look in the mirrors when it is raining
They would never drive without headlights in the rain

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The EU were quick to introduce DRL's - and forgot that they should have applied them to the rear lights as well.
On the contrary. The rear lights turned on during daytime kill some of the contrast required to make brake lights more visible. Many cars have combined corner lights and brake lights and the only difference is the intensity.

DRL switcher sensor should be calibrated so it switches to/from normal lights when it's safe.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,154 Posts
On the contrary. The rear lights turned on during daytime kill some of the contrast required to make brake lights more visible. Many cars have combined corner lights and brake lights and the only difference is the intensity.

DRL switcher sensor should be calibrated so it switches to/from normal lights when it's safe.
....which is precisely the reason front DRL's arent connected to or have the same luminosity as headlights. The same could easily have been applied to the rear, away from brake lights.

But for styling reasons, both the EU and OEMs didnt mandate it.

Whatever happened to good old eye tests and being able to turn the lights on when it gets dark? Driving has arguably been dumbed down by technology, legislation and new drivers who are incompetent.

Reactions: Avisitor and Eidlog

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Whatever happened to good old eye tests and being able to turn the lights on when it gets dark? Driving has arguably been dumbed down by technology, legislation and new drivers who are incompetent.
I have been driving (pretty much professionally) for 30 years, which makes me an oldtimer but I don't share your perspective. While I am perfectly capable of turning on my lights when it gets dark it's marginally safer to have automatics switch the lights on, be it tunnels, sudden rainfall on a freeway where you should be concentrating on the road, another good example is the automatic hazard flasher, which is great on the Autobahn when there's a sudden stop ahead and you're going 100+.

This is more important with the new generation of drivers (you mentioned) who have never even seen anything "manual", transmissions, dial-up or, God forbid - walk up to a TV to change the channel. World is changing and everything in it changes with it. Well, not @kloker obviously :D

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
....which is precisely the reason front DRL's arent connected to or have the same luminosity as headlights. The same could easily have been applied to the rear, away from brake lights.

But for styling reasons, both the EU and OEMs didnt mandate it.
I disagree with putting active DRLs on the rear.

I get your point, but for there to be no DRLs on the rear of the vehicle and have a safety issue, it would also require that the driver behind them also be driving in the dark with no headlights. Slim chance of that, even with more inattentive drivers these days.

Even then.. in the dark the front DRLs or a pursuing vehicle are still active and WILL hit the rear bumper reflectors of any vehicle in front of them well before there is any danger of a collision. Same principle as the high reflectivity traffic signs.. which are also passive reflectors and pick up headlights extremely well and are easily seen from a long distance.

In other words, reflectors on the rear, yes.. and there are lots of them on the rear of a CRV (both passive and those incorporated into the rear lamp assemblies. DRLs on the rear.. NO... it is more likely to confuse a driver behind rather then benefit.

Rear fog lights that activate when the vehicle is in reverse... definitely would be a nice feature to have for some drivers ... and it is not offered currently in the US.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
I think a bigger cause of folks driving without their headlights turned on at night, rather than them thinking they are on via the DRLs, is the instrument clusters are now almost all digital, meaning they look "lit up" at night (and all the time), whether the headlights are on or not. In the "old days" if you were driving without your headlights on, you would certainly notice this when you looked to see your speed, and couldn't read the speedometer.

I am a big proponent of all cars having automatic headlights, that are difficult to disable, kinda like the auto stop disable button.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
I think a bigger cause of folks driving without their headlights turned on at night, rather than them thinking they are on via the DRLs, is the instrument clusters are now almost all digital, meaning they look "lit up" at night (and all the time), whether the headlights are on or not. In the "old days" if you were driving without your headlights on, you would certainly notice this when you looked to see your speed, and couldn't read the speedometer.
My 2017 Touring makes it very obvious if it is dark and the headlights are not on.... because the instrument panel and head unit displays are very bright (as they are on daylight setting). As soon as you turn on the headlights... the vehicle immediately reduces the backlighting very noticeably. Note: I do NOT use the automatic headlight setting on my CRV.. because I literally always drive with the headlights on to defeat the low charge mode in Honda's dual charging system for the battery.

I don't disagree with the idea of automatic headlights being a mandatory safety feature, but the reality is.. that is not bullet proof either as the sensors that drive the headlights to turn on due to low light can fail. Sensors are probably one of the weaker points in these modern vehicles... particularly ambient light sensors. Manufacturers would also have to add fail safe detectors and warning lights... for when a sensor or other driving circuit fails.

·
5,200 Posts
I agree with your concerns about mandatory automatic headlights...I always use them. So my expectations are that when I drive at night, the headlights will come on.

It seems that when ever I have a vehicle into the dealer for service, they turn off the automatic headlights, and never tun them back to the auto position when returning the vehicle to the customer. One of my pet peeves. Before memory seats, another pet peeve was them not returning the driver's seat to where it was when I dropped off the vehicle. I have now learned to check the headlight switch, but several times, I would be one of those "driving at night without headlights on" ...I agree there would need to be some kind of fail safe.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
G4 DRL work fine, the sensor has always triggered the lights at the right time, you see it immediately when the dash lights dim and head unit screen inverts.

There's only one issue with lights - every now and then the auto high beam stops working, just stops switching. Also, when it is working it switches back to dipped beam when seeing the large freeway sign shining bright.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I have been driving (pretty much professionally) for 30 years, which makes me an oldtimer but I don't share your perspective. While I am perfectly capable of turning on my lights when it gets dark it's marginally safer to have automatics switch the lights on, be it tunnels, sudden rainfall on a freeway where you should be concentrating on the road, another good example is the automatic hazard flasher, which is great on the Autobahn when there's a sudden stop ahead and you're going 100+.

This is more important with the new generation of drivers (you mentioned) who have never even seen anything "manual", transmissions, dial-up or, God forbid - walk up to a TV to change the channel. World is changing and everything in it changes with it. Well, not @kloker obviously :D
That's right, and dontcha fergit it! :) The most constant thing about change is that it is almost never good. Change is not the same thing as improvement or progress. After all, it's the main principle full time government bureaucracy operates on.

IMO most drivers have few enough brain cells to begin with. Certainly not enough for multi-tasking, which is what, around here, most drivers think driving is. So, maybe they should hook the headlights up to the shifter, so that, when you put the car in gear, they come on and stay on until you park it, day or night. No more DRLs needed. The problem is, once you make something automatic, drivers lose the skill. Then they have to get into a car with a light switch, and they have no idea how to operate it. So what will they do? Why, they will drive anyway, won't they?

I made sure my granddaughters both had first cars with manual transmissions. Guess what? They are both excellent drivers! They even know how to turn the lights on and off! Alissa drives a Jeep now, and Sophia drives an '05 manual CR-V!

For the edification of you HGV drivers, here's my son Ryan's current ride (2,000 359 - C15 TT t62 [email protected] w/15sp) (Carrying a Patriot Missile Launcher):

·
5,200 Posts
I always drive (in any car) with the Running(parking) lights ON. In some vehicles, it lights the exterior but most of all, it lights the interior.
Daytime Running Lights are different than what used to be known as "parking" lights. In some states driving with "parking" lights on during the day is against the law. California is one, as far as I know.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,075 Posts
Daytime Running Lights are different than what used to be known as "parking" lights. In some states driving with "parking" lights on during the day is against the law. California is one, as far as I know.
Interesting. I am in California. I feel that since this whole daytime running lights thing started (which is done to make a vehicle more visible), the police are fine with me driving with my parking lights on because it makes my vehicle even more visible. I actually refer to them as running lights. I've never been warned or pulled over. A lot of drivers do that here.

·
5,200 Posts
Interesting. I am in California. I feel that since this whole daytime running lights thing started (which is done to make a vehicle more visible), the police are fine with me driving with my parking lights on because it makes my vehicle even more visible. I actually refer to them as running lights. I've never been warned or pulled over. A lot of drivers do that here.
I dont disagree.

Driving with parking lights

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.