Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Battery died at 32 months and 13,000 miles. I suggested a software update for TSB 17-032. They did the update, but didn’t think that caused the problem. They also replaced the battery under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,510 Posts
Mine is 30 months old and still in very good condition (verifed just last week on my monthly battery maintenance tests and checks). CCA is still above spec, and battery charges properly and holds charge properly. Now that the battery is more then 2 years old though.. I keep close tabs on it, and when I see the CCA test shows it dropping.. I will replace it preemptively because I hate waking up to a dead battery.

Four things to be aware of:

1) Flooded cell batteries are NOT maintenance free. You do need to pop the caps once or twice year and shine a light in and check the fluid levels of each cell. If any are low, top them up with a bit of distilled water.

2) gen5 CRVs have a normal parasitic current of ~35-50 ma when the vehicle is turned off and enterf low power mode. The power down process takes 3-5 minutes and the car will drain several amps of current from the battery as it powers down. Not an issue on it's own.. but then comes my 3rd point. A fully charged battery will be dead in about 30 days of the vehicle sitting off, and not driven... which means you could have gotten a weakly charged battery when the car was purchased.. depending on how long it was on the lot.. and when a battery is pulled below 12.2 vdc.. it begins to sulfate and that shortens battery life.

3) How you drive, and the distances you drive on each driving trip has an important role to play in whether your battery ever gets a full recharge after sitting overnight, or for several days. Honda uses a dual charge system and even a fully recharged battery can be a state of mild discharge at the end of your driving trip.. because the charging system reverts to low charge mode when it detects the battery to be fully recharged and that means to save a little load on the engine (and improve mpg sleightly) the vehicle actually draws charge back out of the battery while driving. Done long enough.. it will cycle back to charging again.. but what charge state your battery is in depends on where the vehicles was in charging status when you turned it off.

4) Batteries litterally begin ticking down to failure the moment you fill them with electrolyte. The only way to mitigate this is to keep monthly track of the health of the battery, and periodically put it on an intelligent trickle charger when you see it below 12.3 vdc when you check and test it.

OR.. you can ignore all of the above and just plan on a battery only lasting 30-40 months now days in these modern vehicles. :) There is a reason that almost all batteries are now sold with only a 36 month free replacement warranty. Some claim longer, but when you read the find print.. it's all a gimmick because it's 36 month replacement and then it is prorated after that to whatever prorate limit the battery is sold with.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is 30 months old and still in very good condition (verifed just last week on my monthly battery maintenance tests and checks). CCA is still above spec, and battery charges properly and holds charge properly. Now that the battery is more then 2 years old though.. I keep close tabs on it, and when I see the CCA test shows it dropping.. I will replace it preemptively because I hate waking up to a dead battery.

Four things to be aware of:

1) Flooded cell batteries are NOT maintenance free. You do need to pop the caps once or twice year and shine a light in and check the fluid levels of each cell. If any are low, top them up with a bit of distilled water.

2) gen5 CRVs have a normal parasitic current of ~35-50 ma when the vehicle is turned off and enterf low power mode. The power down process takes 3-5 minutes and the car will drain several amps of current from the battery as it powers down. Not an issue on it's own.. but then comes my 3rd point. A fully charged battery will be dead in about 30 days of the vehicle sitting off, and not driven... which means you could have gotten a weakly charged battery when the car was purchased.. depending on how long it was on the lot.. and when a battery is pulled below 12.2 vdc.. it begins to sulfate and that shortens battery life.

3) How you drive, and the distances you drive on each driving trip has an important role to play in whether your battery ever gets a full recharge after sitting overnight, or for several days. Honda uses a dual charge system and even a fully recharged battery can be a state of mild discharge at the end of your driving trip.. because the charging system reverts to low charge mode when it detects the battery to be fully recharged and that means to save a little load on the engine (and improve mpg sleightly) the vehicle actually draws charge back out of the battery while driving. Done long enough.. it will cycle back to charging again.. but what charge state your battery is in depends on where the vehicles was in charging status when you turned it off.

4) Batteries litterally begin ticking down to failure the moment you fill them with electrolyte. The only way to mitigate this is to keep monthly track of the health of the battery, and periodically put it on an intelligent trickle charger when you see it below 12.3 vdc when you check and test it.

OR.. you can ignore all of the above and just plan on a battery only lasting 30-40 months now days in these modern vehicles. :) There is a reason that almost all batteries are now sold with only a 36 month free replacement warranty. Some claim longer, but when you read the find print.. it's all a gimmick because it's 36 month replacement and then it is prorated after that to whatever prorate limit the battery is sold with.
Thanks. Great info!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.