Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there another forum for dealer experience?
I want to share my story with this particular dealership in Long Island, NY.
It's Honda City Long Island.

2018 CR-V:
- 1st oil change at 7K miles, It was free due to oil dilution which i didn't have but still talked to the manager about.
- at 14K miles, 2nd oil change + oil filter + air filter + tire rotation + cabin filter + their 20-point inspection. I paid for this myself.
- 3rd oil change at 20K + filter + tire rotation + hvac update and ECU update. This was free of charge due to Honda's letter. They did a 20-point inspection and checked everything and passed with flying colors.

Everything is very well documented.

Right now my car is at 20,300 miles. I went to clean the car and i decided to buy a new cabin filter and went to check how mine looked to match what was shown online. I checked it and it was DIRTY. It was BLACK. So, I immediately went to check the air filter and guess what? It is BLACK on the bottom and VERY dirty on top. This does not look like a filter that has been in the car for 6,000 miles. Now I am wondering if they even changed the oil filter.

For a 2012 Civic ex-l, my sister went to the same dealership to get an oil change and tire rotation. Then, it came with a horrible noise coming from the front tires. When I looked at it, the TWO front tires had loosen lug nuts and the passenger side had a missing lugnut. The rear two tires also had loose lug nuts as well but it wasn't as bad as the front. However, whoever worked on it had overtightened ALL OF THEM and stripped a few. So, I went to autozone and bought some lugnuts and they wouldn't fit in correctly. So, I myself drove the car the dealership to get it resolved and even spoke with the manager who apologized. This is VERY unacceptable. They had to change the whole hub. This happened 2 weeks ago

Horrible horrible service. Even if they're nice, they're inept at dealing with cars.
I'll be setting up an appointment with a different dealer to check for oil and oil filter and give me a report. Of course I will not tell them any of my issues. However, if the report shows a severely dirty oil filter, I will demand answers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You most likely got ripped off. The air filter and cabin don't need to be changed at that mileage unless you live on a farm and drive on a gravel road all day.
A friend of mine marked his cabin filter with an x when the service writer showed him how dirty his cabin filter was he asked him where the x was that he had put on the new filter he installed. The service writer just turned red and walked off , he asked him if he showed everyone the same dirty filter , no answer.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You most likely got ripped off. The air filter and cabin don't need to be changed at that mileage unless you live on a farm and drive on a gravel road all day.
A friend of mine marked his cabin filter with an x when the service writer showed him how dirty his cabin filter was he asked him where the x was that he had put on the new filter he installed. The service writer just turned red and walked off , he asked him if he showed everyone the same dirty filter , no answer.
I tend to do all the work myself once the car is out of warranty. But i tend to save reciepts and do most of the things over there to document stuff in case anything happens with the car.
But yeah, I just bought a new air filter myself which is coming this weekend but i cleaned the air filter and will run with it until my appointment. I want things documented by the other dealer to have a case.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I changed our cabin filter when it was at 7/8k miles (one year)
And ours was black.
Doesnt matter on the age, its more the area etc.

I do our oil/filters based on time/seasons vs miles since we use it less than normal.

·
Registered
232 Posts
"However, if the report shows a severely dirty oil filter, I will demand answers."

I would also demand answers, not because I was pissed off but because I would be curious as to how they could determine the amount of "dirtyness" of an oil filter.

Please show us a copy of this report that describes the oil filter cleanliness level after they give it to you.

·
Banned
249 Posts
"However, if the report shows a severely dirty oil filter, I will demand answers."

I would also demand answers, not because I was pissed off but because I would be curious as to how they could determine the amount of "dirtyness" of an oil filter.

Please show us a copy of this report that describes the oil filter cleanliness level after they give it to you.
This .

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
Is there another forum for dealer experience?
I want to share my story with this particular dealership in Long Island, NY.
It's Honda City Long Island.

2018 CR-V:
- 1st oil change at 7K miles, It was free due to oil dilution which i didn't have but still talked to the manager about.
- at 14K miles, 2nd oil change + oil filter + air filter + tire rotation + cabin filter + their 20-point inspection. I paid for this myself.
- 3rd oil change at 20K + filter + tire rotation + hvac update and ECU update. This was free of charge due to Honda's letter. They did a 20-point inspection and checked everything and passed with flying colors.
Thank you for sharing could you try to remember was this a Schedule A or B ? what was the code of the last oil change A16 as an example?

If it was A that means Oil only if it was B that means oil & filter.

I understand you said you paid for all to get done.

Man I walked in that Dealer and I ran out of it as fast as i can.. right off the 135 Lol I head to the Sunrise Honda dealer.

(516) 285-8036 https://www.hondaofvalleystream.com Valley stream Let me know how they treat you as well the cleaniness.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Air Filters can go 15,000 no problem. Even 20,000. Being so easy to change, unless you're on a super tight budget, get 'em online and do it yourself. Hondapartscheap (south bay honda, CA) and other sites WAY cheaper than walk-up to Honda Dealers. You gotta buy a few items, as the shipping is high. Like others have said, if you drive on a lot of dusty roads, like Idaho or AZ, maybe need to change sooner. The height of an SUV engine air intake helps the air filter stay a bit cleaner than a car. Same with under hood dirt to a certain extent. What I have found is that the Cabin Air Filter in any of the vehicles I've owned can be changed more often than recommended. They get dirty quick, even if you're in "normal" conditions. (work better clogged?..wow!)
To the OP; try the next closest Dealer to you next time. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts

My wife just brought her 2018 Accord in to the dealer for her first B1 service at just over 10K miles. Part of that is their full inspection and review service, where they give the customer a color coded sheet (R/Y/G) of all their findings from inspection on a range of things on the vehicle. One category is the engine air filter, and they noted it as "Yellow" and indicated that it will need changing at her next service interval (which will be at ~15k based on her two prior service intervals, and honestly that sounds about right for a filter change for her driving conditions historically). One of the few numerical readouts on the report was tread wear.. where they itemize each wheel. Interestingly, her Accord came from the Factory with Hankooks of the size and spec set by Honda and not only have they been very quiet and nice handling tires... the front treadwear was remarkably low for 10K miles (2mm tread wear with 7mm remaining). So it looks like these Hankooks will go between 30 and 40K for her... mostly freeway driving in her case. [In general, regardless of brand... I have found that tires to Honda spec are better for Accords then CRVs..... probably the difference between a car and an SUV in terms of tire design and approach.]

I think in the case of the air filters..... they go with Honda recommendation for replacement unless they see an abnormally dirty filter for the mileage actually on the filter. And my wife's paperwork demonstrates this with this particular dealer.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
The Air Element filter I change a little more then less especially when in that heavy traffic?

the ac cabin filter its spring and fall not had to do so why neglete prolonging it it especially when its Polin season now

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Air Element filter I change a little more then less especially when in that heavy traffic?

the ac cabin filter its spring and fall not had to do so why neglete prolonging it it especially when its Polin season now

How about because the dirtier it gets, the better it filters.

The only thing you're doing by changing the filter too often is wasting your money and making the filter work less good.

It's a trade off. If your goal is to have the best airflow as possible blowing out of the vents, then by all means change it as often as you can. If the goal is to filter the air better, then keep it in there a little longer. Or you could just do what the MM wants you to do and call it a a day.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Both my filters were very dirty at 12000 miles. I'm going to change them myself with 4th oil change again. Should be about 24000 then. I have 13500 now and have had the second oil change done.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
the cabin filter is your health.

the Engine is not the worry but the clogging and decrease in mileage but who am I Jackie Chan Lol

to each their own $15.00 will not break you the dealers will.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Some great advice here, especially the one about marking the filter with an “X”. Oh man I love stories of crooks being called out on their scams. I’m approaching 19K miles and have had the car serviced twice already by my local Honda dealer, I’m going to check those receipts/reports to see what exactly they did. Although, I’m certain none of those services involved changing the cabin air filter so I’ll be doing that myself. And ditto on HondaPartsCheap.com. I’ve been ordering from them for years now and there is no way I’d ever pay dealer prices for parts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I can't afford new cars anymore but found a Honda Fit that still had over 7 months of factory warranty left. I do all the maintenance and other work myself being a 44+ year Master Tech. I had to laugh when I got a "specials flyer" from my local dealer. The prices were high as expected, but the worst was their "cabin air filter special" for only $109! What? I mean, even if I bought a genuine filter from them, it'd cost what, maybe $40 at the most? So they charged $69 labor for a job that takes less than 5 minutes? Crazy, no?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Unfortunately, it's shops like that who continue to give the auto repair/service industry a bad reputation. There are honest shops around, but you do have to find them. I can say in my 44+ years I've never done anything like that, lying or cheating customers. It's too bad that there still exist so many of these unscrupulous shops and businesses around that forever taint the auto service industry.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
I can't afford new cars anymore but found a Honda Fit that still had over 7 months of factory warranty left. I do all the maintenance and other work myself being a 44+ year Master Tech. I had to laugh when I got a "specials flyer" from my local dealer. The prices were high as expected, but the worst was their "cabin air filter special" for only $109! What? I mean, even if I bought a genuine filter from them, it'd cost what, maybe $40 at the most? So they charged $69 labor for a job that takes less than 5 minutes? Crazy, no?
Heh.. as a master tech.. you more then anyone should know that state approved fees charged for auto service is based on line item provided rather then actual time it takes. :)

If your point was that dealerships charge a premium for everything... no disagreement from me. :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Heh.. as a master tech.. you more then anyone should know that state approved fees charged for auto service is based on line item provided rather then actual time it takes. :)

If your point was that dealerships charge a premium for everything... no disagreement from me. :)
From the perspective of an owner not able to service their own vehicle: Shops, in general, charge a premium. My dealership is no more expensive than the local private shops, or the chain ones (such as Firestone). I compare prices on anything over $250, and my dealer is almost always a bit cheaper.

That said, the same branded dealership has another location about 30 miles away, and apparently doesn't have the same happy customers -- I've met some who drive the extra 30 miles to get service from the one I use.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts