Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the thread "Anybody Remove Front License," I was wondering about something else related to dealer hijinx: dealer "free advertising" on new cars and what is acceptable without prior approval of the buyer.

I have seen everything from the simple license plate frames around both license plates (easy to remove) to a metallic-looking dealer decal on the rear bumper or trunk lid (not so easy to remove) to a painted dealer name and slogan on the back of the trunk lid (must repaint the trunk to remove).

If I get to my dealer and find that my new CR-V Touring has a dealer-added advertising tag/frame/decal, what do I do? Void the whole deal? Accept it and drive away?

What would YOU do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The first thing I do when I take home a new vehicle is shed the tag frames and put on Auto-Zone powder coated aluminum ones. The very next thing is to get out the goo-gone and a fresh razor blade and get to work on removing the decal. If there was a PAINTED dealer logo on there, I would tell them to fix it or I'm not signing the papers. I've never run into that though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wouldn't accept delivery unless they remove it or get you one without. I think they all do the license plate thing and that doesn't bother me but a decal or similar is simply not acceptable.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The decal comes off with a hair dryer and finger nails. I know razor blade would work but finger nails seems less likely to scratch anything. Then immediate waxing of the area.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I feel the same way. Noticed that the dealership that I purchased my soon to be delivered Honda CRV, puts a decal on the back of their cars. I told them I did not want anything put onto my new car. They made a note of it on the paperwork.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was lucky, mine hadn't gone through PDI when I test drove it. The dealership either forgot to put their sticker on or didn't have enough time to after PDI.

·
Registered
200 Posts
After reading the thread "Anybody Remove Front License," I was wondering about something else related to dealer hijinx: dealer "free advertising" on new cars and what is acceptable without prior approval of the buyer.

I have seen everything from the simple license plate frames around both license plates (easy to remove) to a metallic-looking dealer decal on the rear bumper or trunk lid (not so easy to remove) to a painted dealer name and slogan on the back of the trunk lid (must repaint the trunk to remove).

If I get to my dealer and find that my new CR-V Touring has a dealer-added advertising tag/frame/decal, what do I do? Void the whole deal? Accept it and drive away?

What would YOU do?
No, I have dealer remove all stickers/paint having to do with dealership advertising before driving off. I would keep the license plate frames until you want them replaced though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dealer nothing. It would be like buying Jordan's and having them say "Footlocker" on them. No one wants that

·
Registered
623 Posts
Same feeling here. I told my dlr not to waste time putting their decal on rear, so they didn't. Unless they are paying me to advertise I'm not gonna do it. If I have a good experience my word of mouth advertising and recommendation will be worth more than a stupid decal or license plate holder.

2017 Molten Lava Pearl EX-L w/ Nav.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I always remind my self the dealership aint paying me to be a rolling billboard for them. Took front and rear licence plate along with the dumb sticker on the rear at day one

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Well, if it's just a frame... whatever.

I'd ask them to remove a decal or plaque. (And wax over where it was when I got home; I wouldn't necessarily trust them to re-wax it.) Paint? I'd tell them to cancel the sale and let me know when the next one just like it showed up (and have them not do that.) That said, I've seen paint-like decals before (where each letter is an individual cut-out), but never actual paint.

But if your car isn't at the dealer yet, simply call and request that no advertising be affixed to your car when it arrives; they should comply with this without hassling you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, if it's just a frame... whatever.

But if your car isn't at the dealer yet, simply call and request that no advertising be affixed to your car when it arrives; they should comply with this without hassling you.
I just did this a few hours ago, thanks to this thread. I'm waiting for my CRV to come in. It should be about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My salesman asked me if it was okay if he put dealer frames on it when he moved my plates over from the trade-in (we have front and rear plates in this state). I said sure...they are on there at the moment, not sure I'll leave them.
I said "no stickers though" and he said they never do. He told me a story about a (long gone) Caddy dealer down the road that used to screw (yes, screw!) a dealer nameplate to the rear of the car. Yup, you guessed it, a few years later there was rust streaks from them.

I don't see many cars with any stickers/decals around here...lots of license plate frames.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My salesman asked me if it was okay if he put dealer frames on it when he moved my plates over from the trade-in (we have front and rear plates in this state). I said sure...they are on there at the moment, not sure I'll leave them.
I said "no stickers though" and he said they never do. He told me a story about a (long gone) Caddy dealer down the road that used to screw (yes, screw!) a dealer nameplate to the rear of the car. Yup, you guessed it, a few years later there was rust streaks from them.

I don't see many cars with any stickers/decals around here...lots of license plate frames.
In New York, anything that blocks the top and bottom of a license plate is illegal. The dealers still put the frames on anyway. I'm going to take mine off once I get the car home. I called the sales rep this afternoon and made sure that he notes in my file that I do NOT want any decal or sticker affixed to my new CR-V. He was agreeable and said that that was fine. I hope that he's telling the truth this time. :eek:

·
Registered
178 Posts
First thing I did was pull the dealer frames and put thin chrome frames in their place. I also flipped the dealer paper plate upside down so it is a white backdrop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealers badge fell off within the first day of me taking the car home... I have contemplated taking it back so they can remove the sticky goo left behind and re-wax the small portion of glue still on the car... But I am thinking of doing it my self. Do you recommend using some sap remover of some such thing and a small amount of wax? Thoughts?

·
Registered
140 Posts
My dealers badge fell off within the first day of me taking the car home... I have contemplated taking it back so they can remove the sticky goo left behind and re-wax the small portion of glue still on the car... But I am thinking of doing it my self. Do you recommend using some sap remover of some such thing and a small amount of wax? Thoughts?
I use Goo Gone then light amount of wax.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here's a tip... Remove the dealers license plate frame then mount it backwards and it creates a nice border for your license.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Before I buy any car I ask the dealer if they plan on putting on a sticker or decal. If they say "Yes" I just refuse to buy from them. As my wife once told them, "If you want us to advertise for you then you have to pay us a monthly fee". None of them have ever asked us to do that yet. I have never had a problem with them refusing to take off a sticker or decal.
One thing about dealers, they want your money. They will try any trick they can to take advantage. Just remember you have two feet and can walk away any time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not only do I remove dealer advertising, but I also remove car specific badging. The first thing I did when I got home was to remove the dealer name (this time it was only license plate frames) and I also removed the "CR-V" and "AWD" badging on the tailgate. A car looks so clean and classy without any extra advertising and letters on it!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts