Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a letter yesterday from my local Honda dealer offering to buy my 2017 CRV EX, AWD. I've owned a lot of cars over my many years, and I've never had a dealer send me a letter like this before. Not sure what to think. $22,650.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I’ve received a number of those letters over the years.....several for cars I no longer own. The dealer is counting on you to replace your car with one of his. A sales tactic.

·
Administrator
3,443 Posts
My local dealer sends me invitations to buy new as my loan is ending. Mail and emails. Seems to be weekly but the may have given up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Received a letter yesterday from my local Honda dealer offering to buy my 2017 CRV EX, AWD. I've owned a lot of cars over my many years, and I've never had a dealer send me a letter like this before. Not sure what to think. $22,650.
Might be a good time to trade - bet your car has a 1.5 liter turbo charged engine that has a TSB out on it, and your dealer may value your business enough to take it off your hand. I also have a 2017 CRV EX-L touring and that is within $200 of its current KBB average value with 34000 mile on it (trade in value), so I think I'd consider it and trade up to a Passport or Pilot with the a different engine. I have been dealing with my dealer for 30 years now and never got a mail offer to buy a vehicle, so it is worth considering, if he is an honest dealer.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
What no email, a Letter more or less they need Business, go in and see them offer that price and let us know what they truely offered?

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,169 Posts
I would never trade in a car or sell it for trade-in value. If you want to sell a car, put it on Craigslist. Do the work, get the money. The trade-in process may be convenient, but it is prohibitively expensive. You do know that the KBB and NADA books that are used to reference these prices are made up and controlled by car dealers, right? It's price fixing on a massive scale. You trade in a car, the dealer makes thousands on that. Then he makes thousands more selling you a new one. So, how much do you like giving away your money? You don't need a letter of invitation. Any dealer will make you that deal, because it's a steal for him.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would never trade in a car or sell it for trade-in value. If you want to sell a car, put it on Craigslist. Do the work, get the money. The trade-in process may be convenient, but it is prohibitively expensive. You do know that the KBB and NADA books that are used to reference these prices are made up and controlled by car dealers, right? It's price fixing on a massive scale. You trade in a car, the dealer makes thousands on that. Then he makes thousands more selling you a new one. So, how much do you like giving away your money? You don't need a letter of invitation. Any dealer will make you that deal, because it's a steal for him.
Trading your car in Ohio can sometimes be a good deal. In Ohio we only pay sales tax on the price difference, not the whole sale price of the car.

To address another question, we love the car. It's just the uncertainty of future engine issues that concerns us. We have had no problems with the car so far. With only 13,000 on "Peggy Sue", she's still in her prime unlike her current owners... lol.

We had hoped for more from the new Passport, but price and gas mileage have shut the door on that option. :(

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Trying to sell a $20k+ vehicle on a site like Craigslist is risky, unless you're a dealer. There are too many opportunities for something to go wrong. Also, in many states, like mine, you are only taxed on the difference between the trade and the negotiated price of the new vehicle. That could be worth a couple grand right there. The main issue is knowing the value of your trade before you go in.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Question is it's on a trade only not a Purchase only big difference. OFFER to buy my CAR

·
Registered
584 Posts
Trying to sell a $20k+ vehicle on a site like Craigslist is risky, unless you're a dealer. There are too many opportunities for something to go wrong. Also, in many states, like mine, you are only taxed on the difference between the trade and the negotiated price of the new vehicle. That could be worth a couple grand right there. The main issue is knowing the value of your trade before you go in.
I agree with Mike. PA has the same tax law.

And will add that there are many reputable sites to sell your used car for free. The last 3 cars that I sold privately were sold on cars.com which included pictures for free and had great results. But the most I asked for any of them was $10k. I was nervous selling 4 mounted snow tires on Craigslist for $80.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts