Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I brought my 2010 CRV (96K+ miles) in for an oil change today, Friday. I was never called to pick up the car so I just headed down before closing. At that point I was given a Multi-point Inspection Report that said I need to replace the steering rack. I wasn't given any explanation. In fact I wouldn't have even known about it if I didn't read the report myself. So, since the tech. that originally helped me out went home, I asked another guy to explain what this exactly meant. He said that although it has been labeled as something that Needs Immediate Attention, to just keep an eye on the power steering fluid level under the hood. If it begins to lower, bring the car in for service. He said that the mechanic that worked on the car probably noticed that there is fluid on the rack boots and that the only fix is to replace the steering rack. According to the quote it will be $1433.00.

Two questions:
1. Is this a fair price?

2. Is this a normal wear item? It doesn't seem normal to me.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I would personally monitor all of the fluid levels, especially the power steering. Also examine the steering rack boots etc and wipe it all dry. Place a cardboard under the engine area. Check fluid levels every couple of days for a while and the cardboard too.
Choose a different dealer or shop. They should have contacted you personally and reported their findings to you. They do not deserve a second chance!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would personally monitor all of the fluid levels, especially the power steering. Also examine the steering rack boots etc and wipe it all dry. Place a cardboard under the engine area. Check fluid levels every couple of days for a while and the cardboard too.
Choose a different dealer or shop. They should have contacted you personally and reported their findings to you. They do not deserve a second chance!

Times two...........and your wallet is not missing $1433.00 hard earned money!

·
Banned
806 Posts
The part itself is expensive. If you know somebody that is handy have them look to see just how bad it is leaking. Is it leaving spots on your driveway? I would suspect that someone thought the other contacted you and it was an honest mistake. I can see your frustrations though.

Maybe ask if the price you were quoted is a brand new Honda part, a new aftermarket part, or a remanufactured part. As those will also affect pricing. You will need an alignment afterwards too, which that figure would include. Probably not too difficult to replace if you know someone that is handy and has some tools.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The part itself is expensive. If you know somebody that is handy have them look to see just how bad it is leaking. Is it leaving spots on your driveway? I would suspect that someone thought the other contacted you and it was an honest mistake. I can see your frustrations though.

Maybe ask if the price you were quoted is a brand new Honda part, a new aftermarket part, or a remanufactured part. As those will also affect pricing. You will need an alignment afterwards too, which that figure would include. Probably not too difficult to replace if you know someone that is handy and has some tools.

1. I haven't noticed any leaks on the ground. It might be hard this time of year, however, because I do notice some water under the car as a result of running the A/C. In fact, the guy I spoke to at the dealership said that I probably wouldn't notice anything on the ground. He gave me a reason, but I really can't remember it. Is he right? If not, how would this leak be different than something like water from the A/C?

2. The price was for a new part, boy is it expensive. I had no idea. Is this a normal thing to go wrong on a car with only 92K miles?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,614 Posts
You MAY have a leak in the power steering rack. The fluid could be trapped by the boot on the end. Eventually, the petroleum will cause the boot to rupture. At that point the PS fluid will drip on the ground.

We had a similar issue with the '99 Acura we owned. Stupid dealer never found the actual reason why the PS fluid needed constant topping up while the car was under warranty. The boot broke at about 130K miles. At that point, we replaced the boot and drove the car without incident (continuing to check/refill the PS reservoir) until 185K miles.

++++++++++++

Final comment: By all means follow up to see exactly why that recommendation was made.

Keep an eye on the PS steering fluid level (it's a visual check, should be between the two lines on the plastic reservoir on top of the engine). Don't spend the money unless you feel a change in steering assist.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help.

I went to the dealer yesterday afternoon and spoke with the gentleman who helped me the afternoon before. He agreed to monitor the situation, so that's what I'm doing. I did take a look at the reservoir, the fluid was about even with the low fill line when the engine was cold, so I added just enough to be even with the high fill line. I'll take a look at it once a week to see if there is any significant difference. If it drops slowly, I'll just keep adding fluid. If it drops immediately, then I obvious have a more major problem that needs to be addressed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts