Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Signed paperwork on Monday and the dealer still doesn't have a title and are saying they can't let me take it home until they get one? Anyone else think this is normal or is there something shady going on here?

·
Administrator
3,435 Posts
Manufacturers supply a "Certificate of Origin" to dealers with the car and is needed to go to the registry of motor vehicles to register the car and get the state to issue title in owners name (and lienholder's interest if required).
Go over the salesman's head.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Manufacturers supply a "Certificate of Origin" to dealers with the car and is needed to go to the registry of motor vehicles to register the car and get the state to issue title in owners name (and lienholder's interest if required).
Go over the salesman's head.
RI and MA were the last two States to issue and require Titles for autos. In the Early 70's, after my second car had been stolen in MA, I bought a used car in MA - with no title. Being in the Navy, I was entitled to Rgister and Title the car in NJ - my home State.

NJ DMV repeatedly insisted I had to have a Title - ALL cars have Titles.

Anyway, the aforementioned "Certificate of Origin and the original Bill of Sale (BOS) as well as the wholesalers BOS, and finally my BOS from the wholesaler served to show a Chain of Custody and allowed me to Title and Register in NJ.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been a full week now...Any sales people know what the deal with getting the COs in for these is? I put deposit on a touring last week and they still don't have it. They also have no idea when it will be in. It's just sitting there ready to go but have to wait on a piece of paper to register and sell it. I love the vehicle but this has been so frustrating I might just scrap it entirely.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Holidays, year-end, and lots of down time for gov't employees I'd guess. Be patient as your elevated blood pressure won't make it arrive any sooner. C

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the calming words. Is this gov't at all though? They made it sound as if it was Honda they were waiting for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is it a brand new car? If the car is used, sometimes the person that traded it in has to overnight the title to the dealership. I would imagine that any new car from the factory should have the title with it though...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wonder if their 2016 numbers look good so they aren't in a rush to deliver it just yet. I wonder if it'll magically show up on or after the 1st? Just make sure they have a sold sign on it and they aren't letting people test drive it. I had a car I bought off a delivery that was due in a week or so and lo and behold they never called me. I stalked the lot and saw it was in matched the vin they gave me. No sold sign and 30 miles later of test drives, I walked. it wasn't a big deal but it was principal of it after we discussed they'd tag it as soon as it rolled off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if their 2016 numbers look good so they aren't in a rush to deliver it just yet. I wonder if it'll magically show up on or after the 1st? Just make sure they have a sold sign on it and they aren't letting people test drive it. I had a car I bought off a delivery that was due in a week or so and lo and behold they never called me. I stalked the lot and saw it was in matched the vin they gave me. No sold sign and 30 miles later of test drives, I walked. it wasn't a big deal but it was principal of it after we discussed they'd tag it as soon as it rolled off.
It is sitting right next to the entrance with a sold sign on it and my accessories. I wonder if I should threaten to walk or ask for some kind of compensation for this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sure has to be frustrating. Maybe they'd be willing to throw in a few free oil changes or something? Problem seems to be people are paying close to or over Msrp in some cases and demand is high so they'd just sell it to the next person if you walked. Good luck hope it goes through soon for you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If its the only one they have in stock they may be keeping it to show it off.. Dealer I was trying to make a deal with wouldn't let me have it until another one came in.. I walked

1 - 16 of 16 Posts