Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some thoughts and opinions on whether the dealership offered service interval routine is worth the cost. My local dealership charges a pretty penny for various things at mileage intervals. Upon looking at what they do for the cost, it seems like a lot of this stuff takes only a minute or two and would be a common sense determination if something was wrong, such as things you'd spot doing an oil change (fluid leaking, parts worn out, etc).

I'd like to know whether the costs are worth it for what's provided.

I've attached an image of the material they give customers.

HondaService.jpg

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think it's highway robbery and a great profit center for the dealer. There is a reason for the MM because it hopefully keeps people from being suckered and robbed. One major service costs more than I spend on my car in 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
LOL...
you should see some of the bills people pay for routine maintenance at the Audi/VW dealership where I use to work...bottom line, it's all relative to what you can afford and/or your spare time & skill level...
I don't think $40-$50 is a lot for an oil change, for the average consumer, if they have absolutely no desire to get under their car every 5-10k miles.
A dealership has overhead, and in order to pay for that overhead, they need to charge more....more than any shadetree mechanic, or a guy with one bay and one other tech's health insurance to pay.

The other thing you have to understand is that they do put the car up on a lift and look for things like torn CV boots, oil leaks, loose parts that could have happened in a year between the last time they saw you...for your last oil change.
They actually have a responsibility and liability now falls upon them in that if you go down the road later and something falls off, or something blows...you could sue them for negligence...it's all part of being an ASE certified tech's responsibility, and in turn, the dealership they work for.
It is what it is.

The way that I look at is, there are times when it's really convenient for me to do my own oil change...and there are times when its not, so I pay for those times when it's not convenient.
Hondas are pretty trouble-free vehicles, so it is surprising that people are annoyed at their maintenance costs.
Trust me, until you've owned an older German car, you ain't seen nothing. ;)

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me, until you've owned an older German car, you ain't seen nothing. ;)
My uncle has a 1984 Mercedes 300CD. I've had a ring-side seat to what those expenses look like, lol.

I appreciate both of you giving me feedback!

·
Banned
806 Posts
The only time my vehicle ever sees the dealer ship is if it is a warranty item. They don't make the bulk of their money from selling you a car. They make it from sucking your wallet dry by servicing it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hard to read the text, but it looks like a lot of those items are the type of quick inspections anyone can DIY, or you'd get with a dealer oil change. I would just follow the owner's manual schedule for routine maintenance, and use a trusted independent mechanic that uses a sensible mix of OEM and aftermarket parts for non-routine, non-warranty maintenance. Finding such an independent mechanic can be difficult though.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually have such a mechanic around to work on cars. All the three of them do is imports (specializing in VW and Honda, actually). Sorry the text is hard to read. It auto-resized it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts