Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first posting!
Took my 2007 to get oil changed at local honda dealer, they put regular oil instead of synthetic!
How bad of trouble am I in?

Always used synthetic since new!!!

·
crv|oc Rank: Junior
613 Posts
Hello everyone, this is my first posting!
Took my 2007 to get oil changed at local honda dealer, they put regular oil instead of synthetic!
How bad of trouble am I in?

Always used synthetic since new!!!
I am not sure I understand your question. 2007 CRV uses 5W-20. Why would mineral oil be bad?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
This is a classic example of the OP having absolutely NO IDEA what motor oil is.

Motor oil is a lubricant to prevent the internal surfaces of a engine contacting each other, causing wear and possibly catastrophic destruction of the said engine. Motor oil also provides cooling.

Synthetic motor oil has been around a long time but did not become common until the 70's. The hydrocarbon chains in synthetic motor oil are more uniform and have very few external H - fingers protruding from the hydrocarbon chain. When these extra H - fingers shear off, the oil begins to decay. With fewer H - fingers to shear off, synthetic oil lasts longer then regular motor oil, however they are both chemically the same. Synthetic is just smoother, so to speak.

The OP must not understand that his/her CR-V came from the factory with non synthetic motor oil, further the OP must not understand that non synthetic motor oil is typical for a replacement fluid. Regular oil is specified for Honda CR-V's and it works very well. One cannot lose the factory warranty if the use regular motor oil (of course it must be changed on schedule).

I have used synthetic motor oil in all of my vehicles/machines (after break-in of 10,000 miles) because:
A) I live in a very cold climate and synthetic motor oil flows much better when cold...easier starting
B) These engines work hard for me and I prefer to keep them happy

I have a 20 year old Honda lawn mower that works very well. I keep synthetic oil in it...there is not a bit of smoke when I start it and it has been used hard, infact a few years back I had to replace the worn out rear tires. I credit Honda engineering and synthetic oil for it's longevity. Would it still be operating 20 years on with regular oil changes of mineral oil? Very likely.

I suggest if the OP believes that regular motor oil has, or could, damage his/her engine he/she should brush up on some simple chemistry. And I'm being nice...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.