Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My CRV had a bad rust problem developing on the hood and quarter panels, so I decided to do something outside the box.

I had spoken with Rickman about something like this in private message regarding plastidip. I had also been planning this with my brother previous, so the whole solution was an inspiration by a few people and was improvised by yours truly.

Ended up pulling off the grill, bumper, headlights, headlight trim, and hood lip trim to complete this job.

Basically, I've dealt with the rust issue, working on the bodywork, and will seal the whole thing with flat black plastidip creating my stone guard.

As of tonight, I've removed the rust, body filled it, sanded, and primed thoroughly. Even threw down two coats of black Duplicolor, but it will need one more can after another sand and bodyfill; to make the nose nice and perfectly round. I ran out of daylight when I finished painting, will snap off a few pictures tomorrow. So by the end of the day tomorrow, I should have completed the body work, finished painting the hood, and then finalized with plastidip flat black.

Enjoy the pictures, you can click any of them to enlarge to full size.



















Masked, prepped with sanding discs, and cleaned with window cleaner that removes resin.






Body filled and initial sanding.








I will take more pictures in the morning, but will post my hopefully completed project tomorrow evening.

TO BE CONTINUED...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Okay, so I ended up skipping all of the pictures between stages, ended up having a crazy busy weekend in the driveway.

Anyhow, after I finished working on the CRV for the weekend, I took her for a car wash, and the results are below.

But first (no, not that) I'll just break down what we did past the posted pictures above.

I ended up giving the hood and fenders a base primer and paint, just to bring out the imperfections in the bodywork. I went back at it with some heavy grit, hit it with some more filler, sanded again, feathered it with some 180 grit. Then, the fun began. I picked up a bottle of sandable primer, the really thick stuff. I DUMPED it on the hood, sprayed until the point just before a run. Sanded all of the imperfections down, and we sealed it off with TWO cans of flat black basic Plastidip. This thing is THICK, it feels like a rubber tire.

The only fall back that we discovered, is that we had to knife edge the dip, because it was so thick that it actually created a bond with the tape and didnt peel. SO, in the coming days, I will be doing a quick trim job, peeling the tape when its still wet. It's the only way to clean it up to the way I want it.

Any how, enjoy! And as always, images are click-able for huge hi-def photos.

Note: When I removed the hood trim, I ended up ruining the super brittle rubber it was made out of. So I used some thicker door draft tape on the hood lip. I'll post some pictures on it, if it holds together.









 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top