Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Unfortunately in the scramble to deal with securing our apartment and my wife's vehicle from an impending nor'easter last week, I left the driver's side window open on my CR-V and water got in throughout the night.

I've done a bit of internet research but wanted to see if anyone here with experience wanted to offer advice.

The window was open about 10 hours with rain coming in, at which point I did a very preliminary wipe-down to get the excess water out. Because of where I work, it was several hours before I could try to dry it out more, and a full day later before I could get it in a garage to air it out with a fan blowing.

The carpets seem to have dried out just fine, but my concern is the driver's seat. It seems dry to the touch, but I know that it got quite waterlogged. There is the expected "worn out" feel to it, and it is pretty stiff. There's a small spot of gray discoloration (I worry about mold?) and an oder that I presume is coming from the seat. The best I can describe the smell is sort of stale and very slightly acrid. It seems to air out quickly, but always comes back the next time the car sits for a while. My wife said she can't smell it from the passenger seat, only from the driver's seat.

Presuming that the spot of discoloration doesn't get worse and isn't mold, I was planning to simply clean it with Lexol and continue to air it out as much as I'm able. Any thoughts or suggestions on what I could do? Is replacing the leather even an option, and if so, any ballpark on what that might cost?

I appreciate any help or advice available! :)

-todd

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would buy lysol and spray the entire interior. If you want to spend more money you can buy some more commercial quality mold and odor killer chemicals. Two guys garage had a episode about removing odors in car air conditioning.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Did you pull the carpet back and dry the padding underneath the carpet? There is a thick grey mat under the carpet that acts like a sponge. Your carpet may feel dry on top but that mat still may be damp which is probably where your smell is coming from.

I would think that the leather would have been a barrier for the water vs. cloth.

I have worked in the waterleak area of the manufacturing plant where we build the CRV. Trust me, I know how wet that carpet can get underneath.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry for the late response, work keeps me way too busy. :(

Thank you for the advice, this gave me a good idea on how to handle everything... it's greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
112 Posts
This happened to my daughter's Corolla (twice!).

I put a dehumidifier in the back seat, closed up the car and let it run for a few hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts