Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda:
I've been a Honda enthusiast since 1987 when I first purchased a Honda CRX SI... an unbelievable car that was virtually indestructable even as the salt from blistery NY winters ate through the body after 10 years of driving. In 1996 I graduated to a used Accord, then to a Honda Del Sol, eventually buying my wife a Civic LX in 06 to finally buying a Honda CRV in March 2010. I've owned several cars from other manufacturers over the years but my loyalty was always to Honda. However after my last purchase I feel as though that loyalty has been tested.

Through the years my interest in Honda has always been affordability, low cost of ownership, great performance and reliablity. Sadly the CR-V has proven to be none of those things. In fact, in a bit of embarrassment, I think you are being bested by many of your competitors, on price, features and quality. My purchase of my CRV was a mistake... there I said it. I take the majority of blame for that decision. I live in NY and suffered through the winter of 2010 with front wheel drive vehicles. At the time the CRV was what I could afford but was it what I wanted? Probably not. I had tested a Toyota Rav4 which had a noticable smoother ride however we stayed with Honda b/c of the fair trade in they were giving us on our Civic. About a year after purchase I wanted to take it back but I labored through 5 years of payments totaling $28,300 for what turned into a most unsatisfying ride? The complaints... same as what's been reviewed: Poor gas mileage (18/21 vs 23/28 advertised).... ridiculous road noise (I work from this vehicle and even with a head set phone calls were terrible... bluetooth speakerphone impossible)... terrible performance (when accelerating birds would pass me... slow, very fat birds). There were several times I thought I would cause an accident trying to merge into any sort of traffic. It's a terrible ride for long trips.... I can go on.... up until recently there was nothing mechanically wrong with the vehicle, just an overall experience that I wasn't getting the type of quality Honda had been noted for... certainly not worth almost $30,000.

All of that changed last week when the air conditioner ceased to function. Approximately 66 months of ownership on a car that has very average use: 72,000 miles. I thought that this was a possible warranty repair seeing the extended warranty for AC Clutch Cable. I should have known this would be more serious. It's the whole compressor. $1021 in replacement cost. This shouldn't have been any surprise. My sister in law's 2008 CRV EX blew her AC compressor in 2012. And all over the internet there are claims and stories of the AC compressor going as far back as 2003 having problems. As I lamented... my first out of pocket vehicle repair on a Honda since my CRX (other than maintenence) the kind service girl remarked that for a 5 year old car, to not suffer any major repair is remarkable...

Here is the rub:
We own a 2005 Toyota Camry nearing 121,000 miles and we've never had a repair.

We previously owned a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited with 133,000 miles and never had a repair.

We own a 2011 BMW 328i xDrive loaded, purchased pre-certified from BMW with 1.9% financing and an extended warranty covering all maintence purchased in June 2013 for $24,700 (off lease, purchase price was $46,500). It makes my CRV feel like a matchbox car and my payments were $50 less per month than the CRV

Overpriced, underquality I'm afraid here is where I leave you. Ford, Subaru, Toyota all have competing vehicles that rate as high as the CRV in reviews and seem to offer much more for the money than Honda's quirky, utiliatrian designs. Even Hyundai offers a remarkable deal with their Santa Fe, (a remarkably smooth ride given the lower price point and 100K mile powertrain). When you reach the point that buying a car is almost as expensive as buying a second home you pay attention to every last detail of purchase. There is nothing I see that would compel me to buy another Honda again. Shame we had a good run together, but you seem to only want to take in this relationship. I haven't felt you give in quite some time.

Today I walked into a Honda dealership for the last time. I wasn't sold a lemon... I was sold a brick. A $28,300 (tax, title license) brick that took me 5 years to pay off and blows warm air in July like a hot Dry Cleaners in Chinatown during the summer of 77'. Soccer moms, college students, the elderly, people who drive slow must really love this car. Today I think I need to graduate... that upgrade may be a date with Jan at Toyota or Outbacking with Subaru. in either case I'll watch all of the slow CRV's in my rear view mirror.... being passed by fat slow birds while burning up 18 MPG and they climb sloth like up small hills. I'm waxing poetically, but what else can you do when a 25 year old love affair ends.

Good luck and Take Care.

·
Registered
229 Posts
well there you go, you answered your own statement about the bad gas milage.
I'll watch all of the slow CRV's in my rear view mirror' obviously you have lead foot.
I average 6-7lp100 kms
No car is perfect , if you think a Subaru , Toyota will never break down your high as a kite.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi grant

I hear you loud and clear and feel the same way when it comes to reliability and quality. See my 102 page thread in this forum about what i went through with my brand new 14 crvs (2 of them ) and the vtc rattle. Wolf, Grumpypants and countless others could tell you similar stories.

I don't feel the crv is a bad car, but clearly honda does not deserve to be on the pedestal i once put them on. I agree that Chevrolet, ford, toyota, ect are equal in quality now and nany times have more features for the money. I always liked honda because they were simple, rock solid reliable vehicles and high quslity.

They are still simple, but the quality and reliability is not there anymore. I realize no mass produced vehicle is perfect, but when you produce an engine for 6 years with a known internal issue like the vtc rattle and then tell your customers "there's no fix" or "that's a charasteric of the engine" is completely unacceptable, especially in this day and age when there are other options. Without the reliability and quality my prior hondas had, they have no advantage on the competition.

Like you, I've bought my last Honda unless something unforseen happens.

·
Registered
59 Posts
no problems with acceleration and dynamics after optional software upgrade (in dealership), agree about noise though. I also own 2010 CR-V and also been choosing betwen Rav4 back then, but got better deal on CR-V and also Rav4's 4 speed tranny (at the time) and tailgate design with spare on it, didn't attract me. If I take noise out of equation, I find CR-V very good for long trips (500+ miles per day), I find seats more comfortable than in Accord, in spite of little bit high and thus awkward for me position, no back ussues or tireness after long trips.
If you will be replacing yours, check out Mazda CX5...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Here is the rub:
We own a 2005 Toyota Camry nearing 121,000 miles and we've never had a repair.
I bought my 2015 CRV EXL in January. Overall, I am not really impressed and will probably trade it in in a few years. I was upset with Toyota and had heard from years about Honda quality from friends. I think the CRV feels cheap, seats uncomfortable, not great gas mileage, etc....

Though I had to quickly buy my CRV as my 2004 Camry XLE with less than 100,000 miles had major issues. Leading up to that, I had replaced the water pump 2x, several oil leaks some that cost $1000 in labor and $5 in parts. I had brought my Camry in and needed a new steering mechanism and they told me that there was oil seeping between the transmission and engine and that when it became a leak it was going to be $$$$. I also had issues where when it was hot, my doors would not unlock with the fob. I was furious with Toyota as I was pretty much a cheerleader for them. I had owned them half of my car driving life. I was the first owner on that car and did all maintenance on time and babied that car to death. My Camry was great the first 65,000 miles but the next 30,000 were $$$.

I wish us both luck on our future car purchases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well there you go, you answered your own statement about the bad gas milage.
I'll watch all of the slow CRV's in my rear view mirror' obviously you have lead foot.
I average 6-7lp100 kms
No car is perfect , if you think a Subaru , Toyota will never break down your high as a kite.
Um... I don't think I have a lead foot. But when your merging into traffic on a busy expressway and the CVT transmission launches your engine into 5,500 RPM to sluggiushly push your car from 35 mph to 50 is that really considered an addition to speed? I was being snarky in my description. Face it... the acceleration on the 2010 CRV sucks. It's like a lawn mower!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Um... I don't think I have a lead foot. But when your merging into traffic on a busy expressway and the CVT transmission launches your engine into 5,500 RPM to sluggiushly push your car from 35 mph to 50 is that really considered an addition to speed? I was being snarky in my description. Face it... the acceleration on the 2010 CRV sucks. It's like a lawn mower!
The 2010 doesn't have a CVT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts